Hamilton to sign for 2 more years at Mercedes ? | FerrariChat

Hamilton to sign for 2 more years at Mercedes ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Jan 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Hamilton to sign two-year Mercedes extension – report

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-hamilton-mercedes-contract/

Lewis Hamilton is reportedly in the ‘advanced stages’ of signing a two-year contract extension with Mercedes, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.
    Hamilton, who is currently out of contract at the end of the 2020 season, had been strongly linked with a move to Ferrari after the Italian newspaper also first broke the news that the two parties had engaged in talks during the 2019 season.

However, with Charles Leclerc committing his long-term future to Ferrari and Max Verstappen doing likewise at Red Bull, Hamilton looks set to follow suit by extending his stay with the Silver Arrows.
    In Friday’s edition of Gazzetta dello Sport, journalist Luigi Perna concluded an article on Hamilton, which opened with the six-time World Champion’s vow to become “a machine” this year, with the following lines:

“In the meantime, Lewis Hamilton is in discussion with Mercedes over the renewal of his contract,” wrote Perna.
    “The negotiation, which will see Hamilton extend his stay until the end of 2022, is at an advanced stage and is worth in the region of 45m Euros a year with bonuses.”

With Leclerc and Verstappen technically off the market for Mercedes, it left them with one main priority to tie Hamilton down as he goes in search of a seventh World Championship title.
    Hamilton had spoken about the dilemma he was facing as he weighed up his loyalty to Mercedes with the temptation of a new challenge with Ferrari.

“I know I look good in red,” Hamilton told Channel 4 last October.
    “But it’s a very, very difficult scenario.
    “I’ve been with Mercedes since I was 13. Change is always cool but loyalty is everything, that is why I have this tattoo [on his left arm].
    “I’m not going to be racing forever… what am I going to do in the future?
    “Do I want to remain part of Mercedes doing something quite epic beyond racing?
    “If I was, for example, going to shift [teams] then I don’t know what that is going to look like.”

DF1, pilotoCS and ktu like this.
  2. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Stick to MB Hammy. You have the best car and an obedient teammate. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it...

rmani, Micah Greathouse and F2003-GA like this.
  3. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Jenson Button (in his new book) says he thinks HAM will keep racing for a good number of years. Why quit when you've got the best car?

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I would advise him to stick with Merc as well, he has already left a team to join a lesser team to win (Mclaren - Merc), been there done that, no need to prove anything. Do as Schumacher did finishing with Ferrari, he had one of the most obedient team mates in F1 history.

5. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Many drivers quit when they had the best car, Rosberg, Schumi etc

TurboFreak650 and william like this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Many, if not most drivers who stop, say that an important motivation is too many travels.

Rgds

greg328 and william like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In that, they are in the same boat as the rest of the team, technicians, mechanics, engineers, etc ... who suffer from such a heavy schedule all through the season.

With 22 GPs (and Liberty wants up to 25), all the travelling and preparation, there isn't much time for rest, training, family time, etc ... or even promotional work.

25 GPs means an average of a race every fortnight, with not much time left to enjoy life. Think about all the jet-lag !!!

I

greg328 likes this.
  8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Schumi did not "exactly" quit--it is much closer to state that he was "quitted"

F2003-GA, DF1, ktu and 2 others like this.
  9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    leclerc is going to whip his bottom side

Phil~ and greg328 like this.
  10. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    In the long term yes, just as he should being 13 years younger. We've seen a massive maturity growth in Verstappen over the last year. LeClerc is doing an outstanding job but isn't thee yet.

Hamilton may be at the point he's lost that last 0.001 of a second on raw pace, but he rarely (I didn't say never) makes mistakes, contacts other cars etc.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  11. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    But do you think LH will get “chinned” on occasion in 2020?

12. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Don’t bet on it. Still doesn’t quite yet have LH’s mental strength/fortitude. At this level, that’s a substantially decisive factor.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Also, as David Coulthard recently said, "Older driver don't go faster, but they are smarter" (or words to that effect).
    Years of F1 experience and driving for a very good team put Hamilton in a very good position.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

On occasion yes. But overall, he will finish in the top 3, at least, and is probably favourite for a title in 2020.

15. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    45MM Euros a year and the best car, what is there to think about???

16. Joseph Felton

Joseph Felton Rookie

Jan 11, 2019
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I'd love to see him join Ferrari but I don't think it will happen. Would be nice to take an above average car and truly test his ability. He will win 7+ world championships wherever, would be nice to do one with the Scuderia though

SimCity3 and greg328 like this.
  17. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I really don't care. His being on the grid or not being on the grid will not make the racing any better or more interesting. The only cars and racing that I find interesting now are the vintage ones.

ago car nut likes this.
  18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
  19. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Hardly a surprise.

The challenge of winning a WDC at Ferrari was probably too much of a stretch, even though Ferrari is more competetive than it was in '96.

Lewis wants to retire on a high.
    Mercedes remains the seat to have...ask Bottas.

DF1 and stavura like this.
  20. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Smart move. An even smarter move would be to retire after he wins WDC this year.

TurboFreak650, SimCity3 and DF1 like this.
  21. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I think he realizes joining Ferrari opens up more concerns than just the past year's strategy attempts; he's already seen Seb & Charles clash & I doubt he wants to see Charles as his Rosberg 2.0. I'd also be willing to bet Ferrari is looking to replace Seb. with another young talent that won't be as gifted as Charles, but will learn just as much alongside & compliment Charles as a teammate.

william likes this.
  22. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I'm not a HAM fan, but with 6 titles, you have to admit he's a good driver, with "good" being defined as winning a lot and/or getting into the best team. However, a lot of his success is the Mercedes team over the past years, both performance and reliability. In 2020 I hope we see BOT come back stronger, with Ferrari and Red Bull fighting at the front ALL year. 2020 should be a much bigger challenge for HAM to stay at the top, with LEC and VER fighting it out for the next champion title.

william and SimCity3 like this.
  23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

No doubt.
    Hamilton got stressed when Rosberg borrowed his superior engineers for the year and won the WDC.
    Lewis would not want a similar dynamic with Charles.

24. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Name a F1 great who has won the majority of their championships without the best car/team.

25. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Shame if he won’t go to Ferrari. As it stands his undoubted talents are masked by the brilliance of the Merc package and that will always be the case. Had he gone to ferrari and won the wdc with them, he would have done it against a well regarded talented teammate (Leclerc) and with a clearly inferior team. He would have equalled or surpassed Schumachers 7 wdcs and he would have become the only driver to win the wdc with 3 different teams. He would have become the greatest of all time. If he stays at Merc he’ll just remain as ‘one of the best’.