so i drove my boxer home in the rain tonight.... | FerrariChat

so i drove my boxer home in the rain tonight....

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, Jan 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and it has been so long since i drove it in the rain at night, i had no idea how to make anything work - defroster/defogger? heater?

and the wipers were on a rheostat but could not find it to increase the speed.

the lights seemed even more feeble than usual, and the stalk is indecipherable.

must look at the instruction manual soon - have not cracked it open - ever !

G. Pepper, tomc and sixcarbs like this.
  2. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Awesome. Congrats and I hope you thoroughly enjoyed the ride because of the challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    not really.
    lots of traffic. frequent minor episodes of aqua planing despite brand new tires. lights blinding me. foggy front screen, foggy back screen. not so much fun.
    i have driven that car a lot. at night as well. just not in the rain in the long time.

couldnt even find the interior light switch !

4. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Well done, and it didn't melt!

I posted in the 550 Barchetta thread that real Ferraris don't have tops, can drive in the rain, and even win races.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper and turbo-joe like this.
  5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I gave a friend a ride on a cold night, but not raining and the windows fogged bad. I took a little pause to get my thoughts clear on how to set controls and flipped the 4 or 5 knobs and levers and it cleared right away. Fortunately, cause my passenger is into newer Porsche stuff and really admires the prancing horse and he was impressed with how well sorted the function is on a 36+ year old classic. Also, the myriad of levers and switches to act on was kind of cool.

George Vosburgh and turbo-joe like this.
  6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. went through the owners manual a couple times.
    only the italians (maybe russians and chinese) could come up such a convoluted system!
    i still dont know how to run the defroster/defogger.

and, separate question, what is the best way to get brighter headlights, and faster windows?

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The black boxer with the M engine had aftermarket high powered lights with relays so they didn't overload the factory wiring.

Windows I use the upgraded modern motor and cables Rutlands sells. Sure you can goof around with the stock ones cleaning contacts and terminals, grease and so on and improve them but they'll never match the new design. Just don't get your finger caught in one.

crinoid likes this.
  8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Oh no, now you won't be able to tout the idiotic "Never driven in the rain" refrain of nonsense. ;-)

I got caught in a torrential downpour driving to a show on long island about 3 years ago. The wipers worked, the lights worked and I turned on the a/c to get rid of widows fogging and keep us cool. My buddy and I were impressed, I was amazed and the car made me proud of it.

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yup! this car has been on a lot of adventures - giro di sicilia and targa florio for example.
    i am never afraid of rain in the ferraris, its just that if it is already pouring outside, you dont gravitate towards this car when you have my choices.
    it is really only when you get caught out like this that you have to deal with it.

i too used the ac to clear the windscreen fog.

dwhite likes this.
  10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Drove my TR in heavy rain a few times! No problems!

11. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    ...drove my 430 from the FCA National Convention At Watkins Glen 2 years ago in a solid 6 hour torrential downpour with near flooding conditions...scared ****less but did fine...car was so filthy I took it to a professional detailed who called me and said “where the **** have been”!...said he’d never seen a “modern” so weathered

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    One of the best drives I've ever had was when I left Roswell well before dawn because I couldn't sleep any longer, and went through a thunderstorm on US 380 headed west.

Super dramatic with all the lightning, and the car was perfect. But it's fairly modern and the headlights are very bright.

Funny about the manual! I had to read the 360 manual just to find the window switches. On either side of the radio, of course! :)

13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Myself and another Ferrari owner drove home to Pgh. in that same rainstorm. Both cleaned up real well!

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I found traction in rain to be excellent.
    As for lights, just put them on bright, still probably not as bad for other drivers as led's on moderns.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like Paul said on the windows. I'd put a set of LED lights in it. Lower load on the electrical system and great lighting. I have them in our 328 and on my Harley and love them.

H1's and H4's with a bank of relays would be my second choice. I hate driving and feeling like I am doing it with a flashlight on the hood but LED's fix that.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thx. need to find out more about this.

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sell this POS and get a 550!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. pullover

pullover Rookie

Nov 17, 2006
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Ted Edwards
    Proper Wheel alignments can help Boxer with handling.

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Drove my Testarossa thru a puddle once

;)

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    congratulations. how brave of you
    ;)

vincenzo likes this.
  21. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    It was terrifying!

22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    drove to cars and coffee in the woodlands, drove to msr, drove to the club - basically drove it everywhere for the last 3 days.
    most people dont know what they are looking at, but for those who do know it is an event.
    i may be the only one they have seen in decades.
    why do people not drive their cars anywhere ?!

23. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Because the defogger doesn’t work, lights are bad, you cant see out of them, and they hydroplane making them dangerous.

Every time I think about taking my f430 or TR on a road trip I last minute take the BMW X5 5,0 M - I love that car.

24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am just talking about driving around town and within 50 miles on a sunny day !
    the bbi works fine for that.
    i have also taken it on some pretty adventurous trips.
    and i have figured out how the other stuff works, or is supposed to work ;)

the 430 on a roadtrip is a dawdle.

25. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I've driven my Boxer 12 miles in the last 6 years. I would not hesitate to drive it on a trip. I would not just take it to the store, it needs more time to get all fluids hot then a short trip.

I do agree, most people don't know what they are, but the few that do give a big thumbs up. Personally, I never saw a Boxer on the road in all my years growing up in and around the NYC/ Long Island area and I have seen almost everything else. Very hidden cars.

turbo-joe and Rifledriver like this.