whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Nov 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    When I had my Ferrari 355 Challenge, I can't tell you how many people liked the car because of the video game by Sega.

mclaudio, Texas Forever and Robb like this.
  2. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    True. I’ll just leave this here...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Once again, we’re looking at the digital divide. It’s more than a manual transmission, it’s the entire driving experience.

My 1974 Jensen-Healy may be a POS, but it is a 100% analog car. There might be a chip in the radio, but it doesn’t work anyway. YOU have to drive this car. It will only do what YOU will it to do. I can even feel the ball joints. Granted, it’s a slow car. But at 100 mph it feels faster than a modern car at 150.

Yes, the car has limitations. But that’s part of the fun. The big drawback of digital cars is they all feel the same, mainly because they are all the same. The fun factor is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

LARRYH likes this.
  4. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All American muscle cars from late 60’s to very early 70’s can’t hold a candle to the driving experience of anything produced in the last 10 years but they still hold strong values so I’m not sure about your theory.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    What's one of these babies worth - 02] Mario's Go-Cart???

6. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Guys growing up in the 80’s are really just now entering maximum earning years and building extra discretionary funds looking at retirement and to acquire bucket list poster car of his youth.
    For that reason I think the Testarossa, And
    more specifically rare 512TR will fare well in the next 10 years. I have a 488 and a 911 turbo S but I still needed the nostalgia car from my youth. That’s why I acquired the 512TR. Easier to drive and more rare than Testarossa. just gives you a special feeling the newer cars can’t give. There was no such thing as McLaren poster car from my youth.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Wade, gatorgreg and Texas Forever like this.
  7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Do those old cars from the 60s and 70s cost an arm and a leg to maintain? No they're easy cars to work on. Seemingly every little thing on the 575 was EXPENSIVE, and why wouldn't it be the car was $250k in 2002. Aside from the expensive part, it took weeks for every little thing to come in. My dad loves american cars, he has a ton of classics, drives them all the time, his favorite is his 59 cadillac series 62 convertible, it has 300k miles now after 30+ years of ownership and parts are readily available and cheap. I don't recall the last time he waited a month or more for parts to come in from overseas after getting stuck in customs(happened twice to me with the 575).

8. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    To pick up on the 80s/90s theme, not a Ferrari (but loved by Ferrari people) are the Lancia Delta Integrales. These things are going to move together with all homolgation rally cars.

9. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    THe problem with the older cars is driving them. I love the 60's and 70's cars but driving them regularly is a problem. I grew up driving a 365 GTC/4 and a 512 BB. I have the means to purchase them, but I don't want to. I simply do not have the time.

Funny story about the F355 Challenge. At the track I would have people come up to me and ask about the blip from the downshifting. The street 355 did not do it. Did I have a special gearbox or whatever. I would laugh and say, no that's me heel and toeing the downshift, I am the blip. LOL. It was so funny.

mclaudio and Texas Forever like this.
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    What I think at C+C when the MG's, Triumphs and English stuff arrives: "Oh snap.. it started today... "

I can't be alone with this thought..

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The rub with those cars, especially with the 60's and 70's crap.. is you're like 300 times more likely to die in an accident than anything built since 1990+. The American metal of yore assumes that you are the crumple zone. The other rub is I don't know many mechanics under 50 who actually know how to adjust a carb. It might run, but it's an emissions nightmare.

You were going on and on about that 575. It's NOT the cats meow. That F1 transmission in particular is more maintenance intensive than the 550 gated.

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.

I would have LOVED to have been in on that naming session with the creative team. I wonder if there's a rejected name list...LOL

sjd

13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Depends if it's had its banana-out service, and if the hover wheels go, that's $$$$$$ to fix.
    sjd

ChipG and Texas Forever like this.
  14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    always an issue with old british cars - its like a universal truth !
    when the MGB was my only transportation i had anxiety all the time - i was never quite sure it would start. i had all the methods to combat the non starting - starter fluid, jumper cables, a mobile charging unit, a rubber hammer, and a modicum of patience. it always felt like a crapshoot.
    and still does (i still have that car). every english car we have has some kind of starting instructions which are left in the car - ignition on, let fuel pump wake up and stop ticking (or hit it with a hammer), choke out, depress gas pedal 2x, turn key, dont step on gas, let it catch blablablabla endless.

so no, i do not recommend a vintage british car for people who are not patient and need a functioning automobile.

15. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I had a '70 Triumph Spitfire that I brought back from the dead (found it with a tree growing through the floorboards) that was absolutely reliable. It always started, never failed me and I drove it as my primary for four years. The car was quite unusual for a British car.

16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    must have been a gift from god !

vrsurgeon and EastMemphis like this.
  17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    what i will add is that we have come up with a way to make vintage british cars reliable - change out all the susceptible parts.
    the e-type hot rod we built (and are now recreating into a different kind of hot rod), still has carbs (altho i keep arguing for fuel injection), but an electronic ignition, a modern gearbox, modern brakes, modern headlights etc. it ran well, and will run again!

18. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    I acquired a 348 SS (#55) in April 2019. Have done a major since, and have put about 5000 mi on the ODO. It's the best thing on the planet. Not as easy to pop in and drive around as is my 2016 911...but that's too be expected, and quite frankly what makes the 348 worth driving so much. It's ALWAYS fun to take it out. I can have my mind in 10 different places while driving my 911. I purchased my for 60K. and that's not inexpensive, per se. I think they'd be worth much more if it wasn't unnecessarily dogged on for years. Those in the "know", know that it's a fantastic whip.

Cheers,
    Rahul

Ferrarium, Wade and Texas Forever like this.
  19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    There's always that one anomaly. My Father had a Land Rover Discovery that went 243k miles without the transmission dying!

I grew up with 70's Porsches (had an 80 924 and 79 928).. and despite the reliability of all my newer Porsches, I still can't bring myself to have just one car. I always need to have 2 cars in case one isn't working. Which of course doesn't happen anymore. :)

20. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Nobody knows who magnum PI is anymore. Testorrosa is the only 80s Ferrari besides the bbi worth owning. Agreed

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

21. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I think the 348 SS is a good buy. The best of the 348 series and limited supply. The 348 is a really fun car to drive.

rvp325 likes this.
  22. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    have you driven the new 911 GT3? Wow. What a car. It reminds me of a heavy 70’s 911.

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Have not yet. A friend offered a drive in his but didn't have time to take him up on it yet. One with a stick with touring package is high on my list for my next PCar.

24. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    the stick is the best. You are going to love it. I drove a GT3 with the touring package. Great car.

25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    That's my favorite classic to drive as well :)

F355 Fan 82 likes this.