What's For Dinner? | Page 482 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Awesome Tom!! You're just missing one thing.

Fritos.

:)

tomc, arizonaitalian and dustman like this.
  2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #12027 arizonaitalian, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    We had another stir fry...looks very "meh" compared to what some of you have going on!

(I throw these together when she has to work night shift in the NICU, so that she gets dinner before going to work. Nothing fancy, but quick, easy and decently tasty. And something I can make on my own while she gets ready. And there are always some leftovers, so she has her midnight snack for midway thru the shift. So its a practical meal, above all else.)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  3. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    wow, wow, wow. I'm craving that meal (London has the perfect weather for that dish (seemingly everyday has some grey, some rain).

I'm afraid to show Ania the cornbread cooked in cast iron...not sure I trust our cast iron pan to do that without sticking yet...and your pics will send her into cornbread envy.

4. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    good lord! You guys are gonna make me succumb and attempt to smoke something...I think I'll put a smoker on my list for when we return to the USA...

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Haha. I'll do better next time.
    Promise!
    T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks. I only do cornbread in the mother in law's decades old CI skillet. It's smooth as glass. Of course, I make sure to (a) preheat in the oven so it's hot when the batter goes in, and (b) lube it up with generous amount of butter.

We use this. Made by a company in DFW.
    I add a little sugar, honey or in this case, maple syrup, since the wife likes her cornbread a bit sweet...T

TexasF355F1 and arizonaitalian like this.
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Why wait? Weber makes a little 14" bullet smoker. Could smoke something out on your balcony! Your neighbors will love you...T

8. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #12033 arizonaitalian, Jan 21, 2020
    likely against several laws here!

I've waited decades, so I'm okay waiting another several months

I'm going to be bugging everyone here for advice and how to's :)

9. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #12034 arizonaitalian, Jan 21, 2020
    Took the tube to try a highly-rated Pizza place. Supposedly this guy is among the best pizzaioli in Naples (if not the world). He opened his second restaurant in London near Trafalgar Square. I have to say...this pizza was outstanding, and certainly in the discussion for best I've ever had. If you find yourself in London and craving a great pizza, give it a try: https://www.50kalo.it/ciro__salvo.php

This guy makes fantastic, chewy dough, I'd say the best I've ever had. And he is obsessed with carefully selected, high quality ingredients. Several toppings are DOP classified and the olive oil he used on the pizzas (you can see it in the pics) was outstanding. As were the tomatoes - he uses several different types of tomatoes, depending upon the pizza. Check out the menu in the link to see how obsessed he is with sourcing ingredients. After-all, a pizza is really dough and toppings and his really set these pizzas apart (of course they have the requisite wood oven that gets to absurdly high temps).

We tried 3 pizzas...in order shown:

1) Margherita con Bufala
    2) Diavola
    3) Capricciosa

They were all excellent, but the Capricciosa was my favorite. Gottta go back and next time will try the 'Nduja di Spiligna.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW and TexasF355F1 like this.
  10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ok, I’m heading soon and will try. Naples has the best....the water does it.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  11. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Tonight is the burger special at Triple O's. But I don't think I'm going to buy the burger on special. Might do their bacon cheeseburger instead with poutine.

12. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven

Quick schnitzel for myself. Learned a new trick on YouTube; use two pans of oil, one for each side of the schnitzel. That way side #2 doesn't sit in oil that's not up to optimum temp. Made the Rot Kraut with apples and onions and Caraway seed! Too lazy to do spaetzle tonight. Need to find my potato ricer to squeeze the dough into boiling water.
    My favorite beer in the background is a Schfferhofer.

arizonaitalian, tomc and TexasF355F1 like this.
  13. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Looks great.

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    send me the link please. I DIE for good schnitzel.

15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You know, I grew up on my grandma's cornbread and always liked any other cornbread most of the time.

Now that I'm older, it doesn't satisfy my tastes buds like it used to.

16. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Pretty clever idea. Looks scrumptious...T

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Now all I need are the ingredients....

20. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Date night found me in a tie (a once per every 3-4 years event...the tie, not the date!) as we went to La Traviata at the Royal Opera House. Good show deserved a good pre-opera meal. Went to Ivy Market grill nearby and had:

- Tuna Carpaccio starter in an apple, jalapeño and avocado sauce
    - Beef tartare starter (there's chopped beef under that egg yolk and parsley, I swear!)
    - For mains, I had a so-called "blackened" cod...which wasn't blackened as American's think of it...rather it was basically a miso-baked cod.
    - She had a grilled tuna with the now ubiquitous mango salsa
    - Apple tart for dessert was pretty darn good (although they sorta ruined it by pouring an apple brandy on it and lighting it afire, which made it bitter tasting)

Very good meal and perfect start to a date night with the bottle of champagne we drank.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW likes this.
  21. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OK, I demand a picture of the spent bones after you're done! F-chat pride is on the line, Max, don't let us down!

Simple orzo tonight. A smidgen of butter, EVOO, a couple drops of white truffle oil, and a crank or two of fresh cracked black pepper, and a little pecorino-romamo. I was tempted to crack a fresh egg in there and mix it around, any thoughts on that from the cognoscenti?

T

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    A tie? Fancy schmancy! I am on the once per annum tie frequency. Typically, a holiday party. Always at the wife's insistence.

Call me crazy, but the best looking part of your pictures may be the egg on top of the tartare. That looks like some hen laid it this morning!

T

24. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    “yes” to the egg idea (yolk only of course). I often put a bit of the pasta water in a simple no-sauce pasta also if it’s needs something to bring it together.

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, big guy!
    T