Arrangement with dealership: When will Ferrari stop making 812 Superfast? | FerrariChat

Arrangement with dealership: When will Ferrari stop making 812 Superfast?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by gowthamn, Jan 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    I wanted to buy a GTS but the dealer says I have to buy a Superfast or at least a Portofino to have a good chance of getting an allocation for GTS. But he says that an allocation for Superfast is available now.

So, the deal we agreed is to wait for GTS allocation until the Superfast is almost out of production and if I still haven't got any allocation for GTS, I will cancel the GTS order and buy a Superfast instead.

So wanted to know when the Superfast is expected to be out of production?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

2. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    End of life (production) not scheduled. My guess is SF and GTS will EOL at same time.

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    This summer.
    Not official but this is the expected time I was told at the factory yesterday. If you want a Superfast you will have to be quick. I also think if you order a superfast and then cancel it to try to get a GTS you will be lucky to get a GTS but it depends on what country you live. My dealer has told me time and time again they have sold out in the first few weeks and are getting just a third of the amount of GTS over the Superfast's.

of2worlds, deltona and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Similar story here. Will add that here all allocations for the GTS are long gone. Dealer here got roughly a third of the SF allocations and will get no more. I believe the 812VS will debut this summer and thus the remainder of production from late August will mostly be dedicated to 812 VS and 812 GTS. I would think the last 812 cars will roll off the line around Q4 2021. By Summer 2021 we should see the 812 successor in the Universo like we did with the GTS.

Can't help but thinking I would be surprised if any major dealer still had any 812 GTS allocations without clients. I wonder if some dealers are doing this to get people into 812SF cars instead, but well knowing they will never get a GTS...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Say what? They are going end of life the model after only two and a half years of production? They will barely be getting started on the GTS production this summer and I am sure they will be making SFs at the same time, just like 488 GTS and GTB production. Maybe you meant summer of 2021?

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    812 SF is '17-'21 all together. That's four years. Just because they stop taking orders for the 812SF, does it not mean all are built by then. If you place an order for an 812SF in July or June, you will probably not see it until late Q1 or early Q2 in 2021. I think they will be coming out until 2021. But you have to remember that times have changed. Life cycles are shorter than ever - unfortunately. The 488 and Lusso also got four years, seems to be a sign of the times.

KenU likes this.
  7. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    So I have this right, you wanted a GTS. Dealer wants you to buy a SF for which an allocation is available. You agreed on a plan where you spec a SF and will cancel it if you get a GTS allocation before it's finished. If you haven't gotten an allocation for a GTS, you will just buy the car the dealer wanted you to buy. Really good plan. I can see where this goes and it isn't where you cancel a SF order and pick up a GTS.

LI2782 and Gh21631 like this.
  8. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    No. I want a GTS, but the allocation is not guaranteed. Dealer says, buy a SF then you might get allocation for GTS. I said, I will wait and see if I get allocation for GTS. If not I will buy SF and cancel GTS.
    My question is how long do I wait and see, if I get GTS allocation?

I don't want SF and GTS. I will try for GTS, if it fails, will buy SF. But I don't want to wait too long and loose SF as well

Elisesko likes this.
  9. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    I get it. You will love the SF. That's my guess. Gl!

10. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    My guess is end of SF production in summer 2020.

In January 2019 I asked for 812 SF just out of curiosity when I was at the dealer with my Cali T and I was told I have to wait 2 years after placing my order.
    In August I decided to order and I was told they have two extra allocations end of 2020 as a benefit of Ferrari.
    In September when I placed my 812 SF order the info was it will be build next summer before the factory vacation shutdown.

Maybe the 812 demand decreased faster than expected so they will continue 812 with GTS and VS only.

deltona and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Lot of 812s for sale here in the US with just a few miles on them. We have two in Austin, 2019s with 1200 miles, asking $360k each. I know that one of them was a $420k spec so that's $60k reduction for one year of ownership. Definitely looks like demand is underwhelming for the 812. I don't know why because it's really a great car but I guess Ferrari is just building more than the demand these days. Of course there are plenty of people who bought the 812 early so they could flip it and that's apparently not working out.

My car is status 30 now and so in a week or so I think some pictures should show up at myferrari.

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think the first client delivered SF were in early 4Q 2017. In the US that would be called model year 2018. I think they might still offer the car but my guess would be they would probably be gearing up for production of the GTS over the SF and its a little bit of a different build. So with that in mind, I would imagine the last of the SF are built maybe through summer of 20. So call it late 2017 - mid 2020. Thats a bit under 3 years actual production as far as I can tell.

My advice to the OP- buy a pre owned SF from the dealer and tell them you really want the GTS. Then you have to see what happens.

ANOpax, mclaren slr, Elisesko and 2 others like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations!

Market commentary: the market is moving away from the front engine look, its just how it is. You might think the market should wake up to the fact the 812 is spectacular and will end up being a bit more rare than the F12 and other prior models, but, the buyers seem to have shifting preferences. Thats life.

wrs likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Good suggestion. I don't know the specifics about the US regarding the GTS, but for some reason I don't see just buying an 812 opening things up. Only way for that would be if FNA have different criteria than the boys in Maranello.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Excellent advice!!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Very much so.

I'd like to add that even though I'm a huge drop top guy, and think the entire world is just much better in an open car, winter or summer, the 812 SF is one of those cars that more than make up for the lack of lack of roof:) It's an astonishing car.

Caeruleus11 and KenU like this.
  17. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Ok. Being my first Ferrari I wanted to buy a new car. Guess that is not possible :-(

Elisesko likes this.
  18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its possible, but unlikely. The usual way into Ferrari ownership is pre-owned.

19. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    These days, it seems to be the best way. Used 812’s and 488’s are for the taking.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The cost of enjoyment is priceless. Go buy a used SF now (and save some cash) and wait for the GTS. May or may not happen. Sounds like probably not.

In the mean time enjoy driving....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Says it all.

ANOpax likes this.
  22. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    If the dealer said they can get you a SF allocation to spec new, you can get a new car. It just sounded like what you really wanted was a new GTS. The call on the GTS allocation coming available (if it did) would be on your way home in the SF. Normally not before that. Could be a costly "settle" if you weren't equally excited with a new SF. Good luck with your decision.

ANOpax likes this.
  23. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    I really wanted a GTS. But SF is what I might get

24. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm just echoing what LdM used to tell people. It's actually been like this for a long time. You can still order a new car, but its always been somewhat tricky with the V12 models. They are not anywhere near the volume of the V8 models.

25. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Just learned of 2018 812 w/$475k MSRP and 1,600 miles that sold (unadvertised) via dealer for $368k. Eye opening.

Avia11 and Thecadster like this.