458 Italia or F12... value proposition? | FerrariChat

458 Italia or F12... value proposition?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dann0, Jan 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    So I'm looking at both of these to purchase my first F car. Love them both so not a 'which is better' question. More a 'which is better value now' question both on depreciated value and potential to hold that value in the future. My only caveat would be that I'd probably DD the f12 but not the 458...

Sent from my SM-N960F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Anthony Capone likes this.
  2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    It’s your first F car
    You should buy the car you want in the spec closest to what you would personally select.
    Consider it will depreciate to zero and that the retained value will be the miles of memories you will accumulate.
    Good luck in your search
    My 0.02

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Both will still continue to depreciate so to me it would be which style of car do you like more.

F12 would be hard to beat with its power, less flash, and to some more comfort. Also made in far fewer numbers. They are gorgeous.

I would love to add it to my garage. But I already have three mid engine v8’s to choose from so it makes a great fit for me.

That all being said, Ferrari makes the prettiest mid engine cars and they always loudly announce - supercar.

Robb

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Where do you live?

I live in the mountains. 458 performs much better in the twisties with its rear mid-engine. It's my daily driver. Love it. If you don't live near twisties you may want a GT. If so, get the F12.

I recommend the 458 Spider. Like having two cars in one. Even with the top up you can put the rear window down and hear that beautiful engine/exhaust music and not contend with a drop of rain. Spiders hold their value better than coupes.

For goodness sake, drive them and see which one melts your butter.

tfazio, Kevin Pauza, Pinab7 and 3 others like this.
  5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    OP, in my experience, the GT cars always seemed to win the argument if I figured I wanted a single ferrari to drive everywhere, but it isn’t that simple with the newer cars. You can daily drive both the cars you mention, unlike maybe pre-430 cars that needed a little more care and attention. As other mention, drive the cars back to back, on the routes you travel a lot, and identify the one that is most fun. Failing that, buy them both, and stop bothering us! :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    Think the ultimate goal will be to get both. Just can't see myself daily driving the 458 but i could the f12. That said, have loved the 458 forever. First world problems...

7. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    looking at these cars from the standpoint of depreciation, probably fairly similar

so I recommend buy the one you like, from YOUR perspective

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    front engined v12 depreciate.....

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    458 > F12 especially for your first one.

Defender 90, x z8, 14RE458 and 2 others like this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    all day and all night

Defender 90, x z8, Shark01 and 3 others like this.
  11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I'll third that motion.

Shark01 likes this.
  12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    hard to go wrong. seems f12 has further to fall. i have a 458 and they are great cars. wouldn't want to dd though. probably dd an f12

Defender 90 and daytona355 like this.
  13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I daily drive my 458. It is quite comfortable except for [strike]climbing[/strike] getting out of it. As a bonus, the golf clubs fit well in the passenger seat.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The thing going for the 458 is that it is the last of the Naturally aspirated V-8 mid engined cars.
    Cult status on the way.
    Because of that depreciation will slow down if not reverse soon.

The F12, while an incredible deal, has a long way down to go.
    Look at 599 values.

Front engined V-12s feel really front heavy to me.
    Engine in back = Ferrari.

Robb likes this.
  15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    didnt a f12 sell in the ads for 160$ ?

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    185 is the lowest Ive seen and that car was repaired in back.

Nice car.

17. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I hold on to Ferrari's for a very long time, and I have noticed it's the front engine 2 passenger V12's that appreciate best over the long run if that's an issue. I believe an F12 will do much better than a 599 also.

Robb likes this.
  18. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The 458 is currently the last NA motor Ferrari built for the road but it may not always be. When shopping in 10 years being the last NA matters less to people than being the last manual trans. I just don't see this becoming largely collectable because the acceptance of forced induction and electric assists. It matters to us and we aren't the ones buying. A time capsule 458 will be the only ones hitting the price people expect between collectors. Everyone else will be paying what 360s and 430s are going for today once they reach the curve. Yes it has a DCT and those aren't exactly trouble free.

Caphill and Shark01 like this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed for the pre 430—my testarossa was not ideal as a dd;)
    The 458 is more commonly seen but I think for a backroad twisty drive it’s more fun.
    My ideal combo is FF/f12 and a classic testarossa but can’t go wrong with 458!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tfazio and daytona355 like this.
  20. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    x z8, dodici and daytona355 like this.
  21. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    For your first Ferrari you need to get a 458. No question. I have a Lusso now but started with Scud them 458....to get the true feel for ownership your first one should be a true sports car....

x z8, Robb and daytona355 like this.
  22. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Well. Do you want a rational answer or a passionate one?

458 is the prototypical Ferrari. Will move your soul and make your heart race. Likely more depreciated at this point but will still go down.
    (What is your timeline of ownership ? )

Downside- older tech. F8 coming and more price Pressure down. Right now your one model back. Shorty will be two.

F12. Easy in. Easy out. Can daily drive. We used to say brutually fast but the 812 and posts take that now. Newer tech. Roomier.
    Price is more likely to drop even further. Can be DD and not a hassle to have a passenger who is not a car person. Less of a attention getter ( but not discreet by any means)

Which one ? Drive them both and whatever moves you more buy.

For me, the F12 is a beast and is more me but I have two mid engine Fcars so I’m not choosing just preferring.

If you are asking which will be the lower cost of ownership ? I believe a 458 ultimately will depreciate less cost less to insure and upfront cost less. Maintenance will be more depending on your length of ownership band consumables.

Good luck on your dilemma

Thecadster and daytona355 like this.
  23. AlexBen

AlexBen Rookie

Dec 8, 2019
    To me, if one of your choice can be a DD and the other one would not, then I would go with the one that you will DD to enjoy this absolute pleasure every day instead of once a week. -> F12 wins

From a value standpoint, I don’t believe they will be that different when I look at what the F430 and 599 did, assuming you would get both F12 and 458 in the similar price point today.

Good luck with the dilemma!

24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    F12 for DD,
    458 for weekend.

Use any wife/mistress analogy here. You get the point.

ScottS likes this.
  25. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    Really good points. It's a great dilemma. The 458 has always been a dream for me but i can see myself driving the f12 more and always thought it would be out of my reach.

Option 1: sell giulia and dd f12
    Option 2: keep giulia and weekend drive the 458

Cost wise its circa $au60k more for the f12 I'm looking at but has 10k more kms at 24k.

Man i don't know.