Just Purchased my first 308 (well first Ferrari ever)! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Just Purchased my first 308 (well first Ferrari ever)!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ron308fromSFBayArea, Jan 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron308fromSFBayArea

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ron from SF
  2. Craig Munschy

Craig Munschy Rookie

Jan 20, 2020
    Pismo Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Craig Munschy
    I also live in Kalifornia ! Smog cert is a big deal here as you know. No limit on when you smog it, but you can not register it until its smogged. Be SURE to get a NON-OP with DMV or you will be subject to extra fees and penalties. I would love to Own a carborated 308 .. But living in California I have 2nd thoughts. Keeping It in tune to meet smog parameters Could be a major issue. Good luck!

3. Craig Munschy

Craig Munschy Rookie

Jan 20, 2020
    Pismo Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Craig Munschy
    PS: report title change 10 days...no limit on licensing if you get NON-OP. If they ask you just tell them that it is a project car that you are rebuilding. If they ask you just tell them that it is a project car that you are rebuilding.

4. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    But you can’t drive a NON-OP car on the streets.
    Last governor in California who tried to push the rollback years on smog was Arnold Schwarzenegger. I heard a similar bill was being tried to push through but did not make it. I would not hold my breath on the rollback years to avoid smog tests in California especially with all the green folks here and they see an EV is the answer to saving the earth but do not reach at us takes to make those EV batteries and keep them charged.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Craig Munschy

Craig Munschy Rookie

Jan 20, 2020
    Pismo Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Craig Munschy
    Correct, you can not license it without smog cert.
    Roll back on smog exempt not likely in California with current politics. Out of state registration and license plates if you can.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Isn't there a way to tune these things to pass, limp it in then get them back to "normal" once you leave ?

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Funny story (well, it is to me anyway...) -

The QV Euro I own now isn't the first one I made an offer on. About a month before, I'd seen an 84 Euro in Tampa for sale. Good miles, very nice condition. Wasn't a fan of the creme interior, but the price was such that I decided I'd convert all the leather. Anyway - made a bid, and just an hour before winning - the auction was cancelled. I was disappointed, to say the least. But, rather surprised when the seller messaged me to explain he'd received an offer via PM which was higher than my winning bid. Ok, these things happen.

He explained the the buyer had a contengency on a PDI, and if passed - would be shipping the car to his home in California (from Florida. Not cheap). Seller asked if the buyer backed out, would I still be interested? I said yes... and also asked, "How is this buyer planning to register the car in Cali? It's not going to pass smog." Seller had no idea about such things. I reiterated the shipping costs + the buyer paying $500 for a PDI + the cost of a car that he wouldn't be able to drive. Seller audibly shrugged...

In any case, I assume the other guy bought the car, as I never heard back from the seller. But I've often wondered what happened to the car, and what happened at the DMV. :p

8. Craig Munschy

Craig Munschy Rookie

Jan 20, 2020
    Pismo Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Craig Munschy
    Buyer had a "GUY "that made sure it passes smog. Hard to find these days .