whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Nov 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

I've been singing this song for years.

IMO the sweet spot is the BB but they are hard to find.
    Talked a friend into getting one instead of a 360 F1. Bought at 125-150K which was the same as the 360.
    Its the one I had been chasing for years (already had one at that point).
    I was going to add it but the wife shot that down.
    He later sold it at Auction for 350K. Peak Boxer ;)

Boxers have come down since then are are an incredible value IMO.
    Last of the hand formed aluminum carburated Ferraris.
    The F40 of its day.
    IMO they are better driving than the Daytona and more special than the 288GTO which is a converted 308.

Testarossas while a great buy are the same cost for belt changes.

BOKE likes this.
  2. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    #202 jjp11, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Testerossa is more iconic and flashy than the BB.. Might end up being the difference in the future because the up and coming generation of future buyers (I say this as a millennial) values what stands out more on social media and the like.

Straying a bit off topic here, but the collector car market is going to be turned on its head once the boomers are no longer in the market. There's an appreciation, but no real buying interest among Millenials for older stuff like Bel Airs or old American muscle. Unless a car stands out for its extreme rarity or condition, I fail to see how the majority of these cars are not going to eventually fall off a cliff in terms of value. The buying interest just isn't going to be there. The only way I can see the market continue to thrive is if there's an influx of foreign interest. Foreign countries flush with cash who are fascinated by or eventually become fascinated by Americana, like China.

The extremelely valuable vintage Ferraris are basically a commodity now days rather than a car and will probably hold up just fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mikael-F360, JimEakin, Robb and 2 others like this.
  3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Since 2016? No.

But by 2025, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Perhaps I missed it in a earlier thread........ what is the prognosis for the Dino 246 GTS? It has come down a little, but what is the trend over the next five years??

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They were already selling for that money and crashed. And continue to fall in price. Next collector cars are the honda civics and supra's. Maybe the fox body mustang.

The big thing seems to be retro rods. Old school look with a modern chassis and all the convenience of a new car. No need to give up anything to get the look you want.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    My 8k mike 93 mustang cobra was worth 8k in 09. Now they’re going for mid 40ks. Can’t wait till they’re 100k.
    ;)

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They were the go to car to hot rod. I cant even count how many of those my friends and I demolished. I really want one back in the garage.

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thecadster and tbakowsky like this.
  9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Which ones?

Matt

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes i know thats where they were.
    yes i know a bunch of misguided people are now buying dreck made in the millions.
    but, the tried and true classics will abide.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I dunno. I’ve already said T-Rossas will go up. I suspect 550 Maranellos will appreciate. Frankly, any stick Ferrari that doesn’t break down all the time (just half the time) will probably do well. I guessing the line in the sand will be analog v digital cars. Ferrari doesn’t make analog cars anymore, and the digital cars, by definition, all feel the same.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    This thread is now 14 months old, most cars have now lost 20-40% in value ESPECIALLY:

365 GT/4 BB

512 BB

512BBi

and 308/328's, Testarossas, TR's

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Even Dino's have dropped a bit.

14. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The 90s are hot right now with many brands showing increase in value. Will the values hold or continue to increase over the next 5 years is hard to say.

The 80s vehicles will always be special to some but as younger generations move into careers and money, they will look towards the modern cars.

15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    512BB (all iterations) is severely underpriced considering how good and significant that car always was.
    At current prices ($200k-$300K) it has nowhere to go but up, up, up....

16. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    I feel like a decent amount of the 90s buying is speculation driven, rather than pure interest/want driven. My gut feeling is a lot of the purchasing for decent or premium condition 90s cars are not from 90s kids and teens, but from older generations merely speculating on future interest, hoping to cash in. I don't base this on facts, just my gut and how I view car people my age at shows. There's universal nostalgia love for the Diablo, but not as much for Ferrari's of that era among people, like me, who grew up in that era. Even lesser nostalgia love for the imports and what I consider a weak era of American sports cars. Younger people want the latest and greatest, because everything is just so much better and faster than when they grew up. The guys who grew up in the muscle car eras of the 60s and 70s longed for those cars because when they got older modern cars were boring and tempered because of safety and emissions regulations. Those old school muscle cars were more fun than the newer stuff.. 90s imports and American cars, save for a few, largely sucked. My generation doesn't miss that era of cars from what I can tell. If 90s cars are going to be so in demand, then why haven't Viper prices taken off? That was a car every guy my age grew up in awe of. Now that many of us are old enough and able to afford one today, considering how relatively cheap they are, why isn't there a rush to buy them up? IMO, the performance levels of even ordinary cars today are so good, that it negates the nostalgia factor for many cars.

ewright, vrsurgeon and Texas Forever like this.
  17. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #217 zstyle, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Looking at past trends, the 90s have been decreasing and only recently starting to increase.

Comparing power eras, the early 80s sucked with mechanical fuel Injection and wasn’t until late 80s when there were performance gains. This translated into the 90s and produced some of the finest sports cars of the day. There were many manufactures trying to push the limits of top speed, electronics, and styling. Looking even further ahead 2000-2010 didn’t produce many exotic vehicles until direct injection came along.

I do agree there are not many younger people who are pushing the prices higher. I am of the younger generation and have watching trends of vehicles for the past 15 years. To give some insight, I currently own a 1995 355 and 2001 Ducati 996 SPS. The trend for 90s is increasing in many areas.

Plus considering the problems from the 70s with oil and the global stock market in the 80s, manufacturers were not pushing the limits. Took Japan until the 90s to dial in manufacturing, grab some market share in the USA, and produce performance orientated vehicles.

My perspective: 80s cars were for looks, 90s car were to perform.

I don’t see a rush as in a bubble forming but more of a steady demand with 90s. Especially considering the fact, 90s era cars are becoming legal to import without big restrictions.

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Had a multi award winning carbed 512 in the shop. Classic certified yadda yadda yadda. Young guys loved it...for about 5 minutes. Then 2 days later asked when it was heading home. They could not handle the smell or effort it took to move it when needed. They don't want them..at all.

ewright, Texas Forever and G. Pepper like this.
  19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm old and I have zero interest in Ferraris that far back. If the market wasn't so flat, I'd sell my 308 because it's such a lackluster performer and a pig at parking lot speeds. But since I can't sell it until the market improves, I'm just going to keep it in CO as a seasonal fun car for point A to point A day drives. The Ferraris that have what I want and need to tour with start with the 456.

20. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    F355 and 360 stick next to start moving up - to that era of poster kids now getting stable... These cars are fast enough and modern enough not to be viewed as just an "old" car. The 90's are where its at.

Those who wanted an 80's Ferrari already bought one, or sold it. But I doubt much growth there as the newer cars are much more engaging to drive. And I love the 80's.

Robb

21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #221 ross, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    there are a variety of elements at play, as always.
    - many young guys cant drive stick, or cannot drive stick well, so are embarrassed to buy a manual car
    - many young guys are insecure enough that what they are seeking is approval by their peers, who may only vaguely know cars to begin with, so a 430 f1 has more currency.
    - most young guys cannot afford more than one nice car....and that car needs to be polivalent, and 70-90's cars are not. they are machines that need to be driven with both hands and head.
    - the stereos in older cars suck, and there is hardly any way of making them better, so people who require a soundtrack other than the engine, dont like that.
    - most women dont pay that much attention to cars anyway, but young women really dont, so better get something they might vaguely recognize if that is a necessary tool in your pick-up kit.

but, i will tell you this....i roll around houston in a different car every week (at least for 4 week cycles ;) ), and i hardly ever see another one of any ferrari i am driving.
    and i like that.

ChipG, Texas Forever and Robb like this.
  22. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Some good points.

In particular, I buy the newer cars can have more “currency” - even to current F-car owners.

But there is a strong pull by our dream cars and those posters...

We want what we want.

I don’t think kids bought posters of 430 or 458... that era will be saying what are posters?

But my 21 year old loves the Scud I introduced him to when he was like 9 so give him another 10 years and he’ll be shopping for one as a successful new heavy earner. My 28 year old loves the experiences we had in the F355 and the lines and noise.

Both are in a car centric family.

Loners who would buy off the rack should educate themselves a bit before jumping at the first sign of that “currency.”

Especially since 98% of the general public can’t tell the difference between a 25 year old Ferrari or a 2 year old car... but they all smile and take those pictures and just can’t get enough of either.

Robb

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    So let me ask this... who is going to be the buyer tomorrow? Who is the buyer today?

This can't-drive-a-stick-shift buyer... who is that today? How many Ferrari owners TODAY can't drive stick who drive a USED Ferrari? 50%, 70%.. I'll bet 20%.

My experience is the Car guys at Cars and Coffee show up driving a stickshift. Granted its a Civic or BMW. The under 35 that are CAR GUYS usually show up in a stick shift car. That guy is going to be the used Ferrari buyer of the future as far as I can see. Actually the McLaren is really hot in this crowd. Who else will be irrational enough to blow a couple years salary on a car without a warranty?
    The type of guy who buys a Ferrari cuz' it's a Ferrari (oh and please don't touch it). Usually shows up in a 458, California or 488. You know the type, doesn't know where the coils are or what they do.. but they turn the key and they're in a Ferrari bro!

I suspect that the future buyer of a used Ferrari will be the same car aficionado that you see today buying a used Ferrari... and they'll know how to drive stick.

m5shiv likes this.
  24. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I find the kids are influenced by video games. They know everything about the cars because they drove it in a video game and want to know what it is like in real life.
    What cars are in video games?

360+Volt=Prius and Robb like this.
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I literally asked the question to Google: "What are the most popular cars in video games?"

https://www.hotcars.com/video-game-cars-ranked/

01] BMW M3 GTR E46
    02] Mario's Go-Cart
    03] Ferrari Testarossa Spider
    04] The Arkham Knight Batmobile
    05] Nissan 240SX
    06] The Green Sabre
    07] Toyota AE 86
    08] The Warthog
    09] Crazy Taxi
    10] Ford GT LM

Then I tried, What are the most popular cars in Grand Theft Auto?

https://www.thegamer.com/grand-theft-auto-five-best-vehicles-ranked/

01] Dewbachee Vagner
    02] Vapid FMJ
    03] Grotti X80 Proto
    04] Pegassi Ventorno
    05] Proten Itali GTB Custom
    06] Grotti Turismo R
    07] Entity XF
    08] Emperor ETR1
    09] Pegassi Infurnus
    10] Ocelot XA-21

Few of them are real, which might be a problem, but you can see what they resemble. :)

flat_plane_eddie likes this.