Coilovers for F355 | FerrariChat

Coilovers for F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by jeffdavison, Jan 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Does anybody on this forum have experience with a coilover manufacturer called MCS (Motion Control Suspension)? I read that some of the principles are ex Moton. I'm looking into new coilovers for my '97 and came across these guys. They are a bit at the high end of the spectrum, but the headquarters are walking distance from me. They are in Alpharetta Georgia and I'm in Suwanee/JohnsCreek, just a zipcode away and a 7 minute drive. Nitron is in England and Intrax in the Netherlands.. can't exactly walk there ;) . My short list previously was the Nitron R1 or Intrax 1K2 (both in the $3K range). The Motons were a "just" little above my pay grade, but the MCS 2 way with remotes come in at $4.8K. Still a bit of a stretch, but I could put my carbon fiber upgrades on the back burner. Usage would be street (mostly and track days on occasion).
    Thoughts on the MCS? https://motioncontrolsuspension.com/

2. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    Know alot of people using them on other cars but for the track and they swear by them. I don't think you need that level of suspension just for the street but thats just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Had Motons 3 way adj and they were fantastic. They are overkill for street since I set them once and never adjusted for 15 years.
    Gave a great ride on street and track. The 2 way would be more than adequate.If these are similar to Motons they are so much better than stock on sport setting.

jeffdavison likes this.
  4. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Bob, been following you exploits for years........... :)

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Mcs is the real deal. Motion got sold and the best guy lex Carson left motion to form mcs. We use them in racing and I will soon again with my new racecar almost complete. Only real shocks are mcs, Penske, Jazz with Ollins distant 4th.

jeffdavison likes this.
  6. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Going to be talking with them this week for recomendations.

7. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    motion is MOTON. Dang spell check. Moton is now part of AST. Nothing with the moton name is worth anything after the sale and departure of Lex.

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Is there a pic of the MCS F355 setup?

sounds like a Delta Vee Bilstein setup would suffice.

Bob, what were the spring rates on your Moton setup?

9. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    no pics on their web site of a specific F355. They show examples of their 1way no reservoir, 2way no reservoir, 2way with reservoir and 3way with reservoir. On their application list they show only the two with remote reservoir available, but I talked with them and they are looking into a 2way no reservoir, tho they don't list it. They said it shouldn't be an issue, and it would use the stock upper shock mount and stock spring, that would best suit my intended usage...i.e. mostly street and a few track days / DE. Also they mentioned that they really want to get back into the Ferrari market as it had fallen off a bit after they made the move from Moton overseas to their Atlanta location. Bob has always said he uses the stock springs on his Motons.

10. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Stock springs since did a lot of street driving on them. You can add gas to the canisters to increase pressure which simulates a stronger spring. I believe Moton says 10lb increase in can pressure equals 100 of spring pressure , so you can play with pressure. Mine was at 165 lb of nitrogen and canister could go to 250lb I believe.

ShineKen likes this.
  11. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As others have said, MCS are the real deal. For your application, a 1WNR or 2WNR would help keep the cost down. The 2-way remotes are a true motorsport damper and definitely overkill for what you're doing.

12. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Just got back from MCS where I spent an hour with Wyatt Gilbert. We discussed my application and also designing it to be able to use a Ramlift Pro hydraulic front end raiser.(https://www.ramliftpro.com/)
    They already have listed the 2 high end applications for the F355, which are definitely overkill for me, and designed basically for the track. We talked about the market for a 1WNR and 2WNR damper for the serious street driven car.
    End result is that they want to use my '97 to help develop them. Talk was of both a damper to use the existing springs and mounts and a complete kit with spring and top mount. They do want to get into the higher end street market and think the F355 is worth the effort to bring some MCS goodness to our everyday cars. We'll probably get started in a couple weeks or so after some existing projects and red tape get finalized. It's nice to have a manufacturer of this caliber and quality in my back yard 10 minutes away!. I'll try to keep updates as we move along.

MAD828 and Qavion like this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    This is awesome if a reputable company can bring a nice “streetable” solution. My priorities for the car are like yours. I have been researching this for years and I have a few things I would like to point out that might help.

1. There are other brands that have made their way into a 355. Atul was able to get an Ohlins TTX setup to work. Quantum also offers something. Bilstein Ennepetal. RSD.... and many more. So there are setups out there that have been developed and most importantly tested on the track for performance.

2. Most of these companies offering a premium solution ($4k+) will most likely be offering very stiff almost challenge like springs. At least 1500 lbs up front. The 355 lacks front end grip so the best solution for any premium setup is to put in a stiff spring as performance will need to match the price tag. The problem with that is “street ability.” The stock 355 runs roughly a 180/280 lb and the Serie Fiorano runs like 250/350 lb... something along the lines. I will have to look back and check those for exact numbers, but it is vast difference from “track” setups.

3. Delta Vees setup runs a bit stiffer than Serie Fiorano (actual numbers unknown) and I feel Rob went with the right approach to accommodate those who primarily street drive their 355s.

4. To make up for lack of front end grip, I’d go with a wider tire up front (245 instead of 235) and put a front lip/splitter.

I run a 550/650lb spring rate w/ 2-Way Ohlins TTX on my Exige. It is “streetable,” but not entirely as comfy as I would like no matter how many different ways I set it up. A 450/550 lb setup would be a perfect compromise. Ohlins do have a slightly smaller shaft diameter with competing brands.

On the other hand, the Scud feels perfect for the streets, especially with the dual soft/hard suspension button. I believe the Scud is something around a 400lb spring. Will have to look into it again. It’s not much but feels superbly “track” on the streets without being harsh. I rarely drive the Scud in “soft” mode, but under extremely bad road conditions, it does come in handy. Personally, I could do away with the Scud’s soft mode and just deal with harsh road conditions when they do show up time to time.

I would aim for something like the Scud for the 355, but instead of soft/sport mode, I would prefer a sport/track mode.

For these reasons, I tend to still lean towards a Delta Vee like setup with the factory Bilsteins combined Serie Fiorano like springs rates (slightly higher) and revalved for sport/track mode.

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #14 ShineKen, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Here’s a known F355 Challenge running Bilstein Ennepetals with 16k/14k (900lbs/800lbs) springs. The car clocked 2:25 at Suzuka Circuit, which is already slightly faster than an F40 & F50 around the same track (driven by pro drivers).

* Equipped with Ito Racing exhaust (not Challenge exhaust) if anyone cares.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I could be wrong, but there’s a high chance the Bilsteins on the challenge car are just stocks revalved or re-setup by Bilstein Japan (www.ennepetal.co.jp). Hard to say as it seems the top adjustment actuators are gone.

16. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    Hi Jeff,

I wanted to see if there was any traction here? I'm definitely interested in pursuing this route.

Thanks!

-Brandon

17. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    MCS and myself were scheduled to have my car in their shop and up in the air for development work this time last month, but the Covid situation has put a delay in the works. Kemp has opened up Georgia and is now allowing businesses to re-open. I just got a message from Wyatt and will know more in a short while when the fitment will commence. I was hoping to have it done before my move down to Florida, but that didn't work out. As of now I have my car in storage along with some other household items nearby their shop. When I get word from MCS, I'll come up to Alpharetta from Sarasota and arrange moving down the rest of my stuff at the same time as the suspension work will be done..... but for now we wait patiently.

Pengster355 likes this.
  18. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    Completely understandable. I look forward to your progress!

Pengster355 likes this.
  19. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Just got some tease shots for my coilovers from MCS they're developing for the F355... here's some teasers pics they just sent me of the 2 way non reserves.
    JD
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Nice Jeff you will be happy. Wyatt was also involved with me in the last few months getting my MCS setup for my mustang racecar through Vorschlag. You will be very happy.

jeffdavison likes this.
  21. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Look great, Jeff!
    Not sure if Wyatt mentioned this to you but I had a chat with him a few weeks back as well about a set for my 355. I am local and was going to help with some real-world feedback once they had everything mocked up from your car.
    They are going to be a significant improvement from the factory setup without a doubt! Keep us posted

jeffdavison likes this.
  22. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Follow up.... Finally completed my move from Atlanta to North Port Florida. Got my car transported down last week. Just took a few shots of the coil-overs installed.
    On the fronts, you'll see a black "puck" between the spring and bottom adjuster. This is the hydraulic "doughnut" that is part of the front end lifter kit that will be fully installed in a bit. I gave those to MCS so they could develop my coil-overs and calculate spring rates, lengths available and dyno taking into consideration the space needed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen and OCKlasse like this.
  23. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I look forward to your driving impressions!

24. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    Is that the Ramlift hydraulic lift kit?

25. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Yep... good people to work with. Many on the road and a wealth of info. The blue tape is there for now until final install, so grunge doesn't get into the hydraulic port.

OCKlasse likes this.