Corvette C8 over used 458??? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Corvette C8 over used 458???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by PA Wolfpacker, Aug 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    No disrespect to the Corvette, but as others have said before, I find it very hard to believe that anyone that owns or is even interested in Ferrari, would ever even think about a Corvette. It’s not even on my 50,000 foot radar screen.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3POINT8, tr328 and xfrgtr like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Please. I have owned several Ferraris and now a 488, plus had a new C7 Z06 and am about to get the new C8 convertible. They are immensely capable cars worthy of fine drivers. Reliable, fast, comfortable, great for touring (immense luggage space), great for the track, and damn fine looking. Yes, will see more of them on the street than my 488, but that's okay. Building down to a price is not an easy task, especially when you know you need to be excellent on so many dimensions.

turbokraft, italiafan and SoCal to az like this.
  4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Always keep an open mind. The blind loyalty never ceases to amaze me. Enjoy your new ride.

docf likes this.
  5. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thank you.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I always find threads like this interesting, I do like Ferrari's (some more than others), but I have owned almost as many Corvettes (and taken apart many more). I will also buy a C8 though I am still trying to come up with a purpose for it. I do see cars differently than almost anyone else, though I do agree with George's points. I have not driven the C8 yet, I will be getting the chance soon though. Once I do than I will decide what I am going to need to do to it. I am not a brand loyal guy and as I get closer to owning 500 cars I have come to realize there is very little I have not done when it comes to cars. From building a car from scratch to turning terrible AWD cars (like the Gallardo& 996tt) into RWD cars, and even inventing my own things for cars. I am a Canut (or just nuts as my girlfriend often says), and I like cars, it does not matter to me what brand (hey I bought a orange Kia Soul just so I could say I've got Soul the only times that was probably true), from my Abarth to my AMG GTS, I have found things about almost everyone (well maybe not my Merkur) that I liked. The true I drank the kool aid (I am trying to be polite my real opinion would not be so polite) Ferrari brand loyal people would not look twice at a Corvette, but the other side of the coin is that the person who pays 70K for a corvette that on paper (I never trust reviews only my opinion) is a better car than the majority of Ferrari models has the right to think that Ferrari owner got ripped off. The same type of things are on the Porsche boards (there are a lot of Kool aid drinking people on there), though more people on this board try to imply that a machine has soul. In the end you just have to ask yourself why you bought one car over the other, your reasons are your business, but don't lie to yourselves and say it was because an inferior machine was a better car. I have seen that normal people get some emotional feeling from certain cars, and if it takes a Ferrari to give you that, well than that is all the reason you might need to not want what maybe be a superior machine. Machines are simple, people are not!

BOOMER7 likes this.
  7. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Karting

Jan 3, 2009

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I view them more as an alternative to Porsche than Ferrari -- unless you're talking about a Portofino.

This is probably what I'm ordering hopefully getting it this summer. $83K total including delivery. Tell me where I can get a decent 458 spider for that money. If I went for the track version with magnaride it would run another 5 grand.

Why would I want one of these? Because I can drive it anywhere, get it fixed anywhere, and not worry if a moron runs into me and scratches the bumper. And its filled with modern gadgets like Apple Car play, head up display, side vision cameras, front camera recording, power seats, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, homelink -- all standard in the mid tier version.

I had a 458 spider. Awesome motor -- one of the best ever. Awesome sound. Awesome feeling interior. Awesome DCT gearbox. But a PITA when it comes to true daily driving (no I'm not talking about going from your garage home to your parking space at work -- I'm talking about using it as a real car).

Shoot me if you want. I'll talk to you about the 10,000 miles I put on it in the first year driving it cross country and you can tell me how nice the 458 looked sitting in your garage.

Its good to have choices in life. Its up to you to decide what you want and why. There is no right or wrong answer. There is only your answer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dicecal and dustman like this.
  9. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I’m sure the C8 is a fine car but that is like comparing a Rolex to a nice Casio just because they both tell time.

Owning a Ferrari and then using the C8 as a track car may not be a bad idea as you get to beat the C8 and not have to worry too much.

Besides, even if you get the C8, you are still going to lust after the Ferrari. Get the Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

xfrgtr likes this.
  10. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Maybe a lower end Porsche....there is comparison between the two c’mon.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Something in a similar price range : 60-100K. But the Portifino does pretty much everything the C8 does and costs maybe 3 times more.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #187 TheMayor, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Lust? We're talking apples and oranges here.

You don't lust over a C8. You use it.

You lust over a 458. You don't use it.

There's another part of Vette life -- which is people modding their cars. F car owners find this distasteful. Vette owners can't wait to add performance, looks, wheels, etc.

Is that so wrong?

Everytime I see a thread on "diminished value" of a scratch on a bumper that needs to be repainted (probably painted BETTER than the factory did), I'm reminded of just how narcotic car owners can be in their obsession.

Its... just a car. Its not a 275 long nose 4 cam GTB. Its a mass produced jewel for wealthy people to wear around town. Nothing wrong with that but lets just be honest with ourselves.

gabf1, SAT4RE and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  13. I'm sorry, and I don't mean to throw shade on the Corvette but no one is really cross-shopping a C8 vis-a-vis a Ferrari (any Ferrari) or a Porsche (any Porsche, even a Cayman).

While some of the cars are within the same price range (or at least within the same shouting distance) -- i.e., a base 911 C2 versus a highly optioned C8 or upcoming C8 Grandsport, or maybe a Cayman GT4 versus a C8 -- these cars are primarily aspirational. In that, "Gosh, when I make it in life, I want X car."

So the same person who aspires to own a Corvette C8, is not typically the same person who aspires to own a 911 C2.

cole328, xfrgtr and Pis7a2020 like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not here in Europe. Once VAT and all the import stuff comes on, if you want a Corvette for the track, you might as well purchase a used GT3RS.....

15. NewYorkLego

NewYorkLego Karting

Jan 28, 2019
    NY
    New Richard Mille or Corvette?? Easy choice

16. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
  17. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
  18. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    #193 BOOMER7, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    My take as i'm not a sheep in the herd type of car buyer:
    I've had a 430-gallardo-california-911 turbo S-new NSX over the years.........
    At the end of the day it's what EXCITES you and not others. I'm actually excited about the possability of adding a C8 (my first vette) it's a beautiful car and i know a few testers personally who have driven it that absolutely rave about it.
    458 vert is on my radar very soon but lusting days are over........ been there done that. I'm just looking for something FUN as a DD to replace my Panny turbo.
    C8 =mid engine- great exotic look-track capable-american- 0-60 in under 3 sec under 75K sign me up

dustman likes this.
  19. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    A used 458. 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Every Corvette lover I know would say the same thing.

xfrgtr likes this.
  20. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I have owned corvettes. The steering is not tight, not precise. They feel cheap to me, everything is a little loose. You get what you pay for. My 2 cents. ;)

xfrgtr likes this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Buy both. End of controversy.

BOOMER7 likes this.
  22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    More like an RM or two C8’s.

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I will always wonder what it feels like to lust after something, or dream about owning something. It must be invigorating, and nice to feel that you accomplished your goal. Everyone of the cars I have owned has merely been a thing I have a purpose for at that time, nothing more nothing less. Sometimes I find that when I have a different purpose for the car (like the 2nd i8 I bought a couple weeks ago), I find I like the same car better. I am also looking for another 4C (that I have a different purpose for than the first one), and Mayor I like that build, I am going with the same interior with blue (like my Evora 400 and 718 Cayman), but a coupe rather than a convertible, since I will have 3 convertibles (once I get the other 4C).

24. NewYorkLego

NewYorkLego Karting

Jan 28, 2019
    NY
    Sorry I meant for the Z06, the normal Corvette is never option anymore