812 without GPF or with? Is there power difference? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

812 without GPF or with? Is there power difference?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Sylvainsm, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have to say that when he 812 first came out someone had one at the track one day when I was at COTA and it was ear-splitting. You could hear it coming a long way off. I was very impressed and what's more, it sounded FAST! I hope mine sounds like that when it arrives in a couple of months.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Special time waiting for your V12 to arrive. :)

Caeruleus11 and wrs like this.
  3. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Having had several of the older AMGs with the naturally aspirated 6.3. V8 in an SLS GT and an ML, the sound was glorious NASCAR . Compared to the MB 6.5 and 600 twin turbos which I have also had and which had a muted sound belying their enormous torque.
    The 458 spider sound was impressive when I had one but compared to the SLS was higher pitched and needed to push the revs (a good thing)to get it.
    The 488 spider sound in comparison was disappointing and monotonous (the F8 I tested was less monotonous but very quiet) so when I got into an 812 I was hooked immediately - mechanical and raw Sonics when wanted and more subtle(a little) if you want it when just cruising. It has spoiled me forever. The newest turbo cars may be faster by a small margin but not enough on the street for me to ever switch back

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Roland1688 and of2worlds like this.
  4. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    It'll sound even better because it will be your very own 812!!!

5. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    This is a perfect analogy. In an F8, you’re like that idiot listening to his music on his headphones unknowingly humming along out loud. Everyone in the room is staring at you like “wtf man?”.

In an 812, everyone knows exactly why you are laughing hysterically and can’t wipe that massive smile off your face, as they have a massive smile on their own face and goosebumps of their own after hearing you drive past...

Nothing can compare to watching a concert in person, no matter how expensive your headphones may be. Nothing can compare to an un-compromised exhaust sound either.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

day355 likes this.
  6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Why would you care what others think, when you are having a good time?

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I can see a few situations where that might not be such a bad thing mate.

8. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    I have explained myself regarding this in the past. The simple answer is, to a some degree, I do care what others think and anyone who drives a Ferrari and claims otherwise is completely full of s**t. Do I really need to explain how driving a Ferrari and then going around proclaiming “I swear, I don’t have the slightest care of my outward perception to others” may come off as a bit hypocritical? I’m not saying that everyone who drives a Ferrari is a poser, show-off who only own the car as a status symbol (there will always be a few bad apples), but even the most genuine enthusiasts cannot deny that part of the allure and mystique of a Ferrari is that they look and sound downright sexy to others when you drive past. This is why we spec them to our exact liking. Some prefer more under-the-radar colors like blue, silver, and black, while others prefer more in-your-face colors like yellow and red. There no right or wrong way to do it and there is no official “Ferrari Enthusiast Handbook” that proclaims one color is more legitimate than another. To act as though this same attention to exterior looks should not be applied to exterior sound is just silly.

More importantly, it’s just not the same. This is a case of apples to oranges. You can play whatever engine/exhaust sound you want through your speakers (or I guess earbuds)... but it’s just not the same as the real thing.

The hot tube offers a semi-solution to this problem as it is not completely synthetic and you are getting the actual engine sound in the cabin. But taking the exhaust out of the equation is removing a crucial part of the overall experience. It’s like playing a trumpet mouthpiece without the rest of the trumpet attached. Sounds more like a duck call. But when all the necessary pieces are attached and played in harmony, it sounds glorious. Or think of an electric guitar without the amp. I could go on with these analogies for days....And let’s not forget about the extra sounds you get as your exhaust note ricochets off your surrounding environment. As a convertible lover, this is one of the major selling points, but I understand that others do not appreciate this as much as myself.

Bottom line is, the exhaust note, as heard from outside the car, always has been and always will be a major part of the allure of a Ferrari. This has not changed and although I cannot speak for everyone, I think most on this forum would agree.

This is just my standpoint. Feel free to disagree (which I think we have already established).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

uhn2000, Eilig and racerdj like this.
  9. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    My thoughts FerrariFanatic25 and why I passed on the F-8 and onto the 812.

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  10. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    It's interesting he says that because Porsche went with with the same idea. So, that if you pretty much decide to do a High Flow Cat upgrade or Cat-bypass your OPF/GPF will trigger a CEL.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well, you can only speak for yourself and others that have expressed the same opinion; not every driver of a loud car. I happen to know a lot of people who keep their cars at low RPM, to be as quiet as possible, when in traffic. For example, I hate it when people stare at me; Well, you could argue that I am making your point, I care what others think, only the other way around; I don't like the attention and I certainly don't like to annoy others who might not be amused by a loud sounding machine.

12. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
  13. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Whether we are attention grabbing or not, Driving a FERRARI will direct it your way. The sound adds to that usually in a good way in that most sound great without being overtly annoying to the non-enthusiast. Exhaust mods usually up the annoying factor to the non-enthusiast and sometimes to the enthusiast as well. My 1299SL Ducati was that way-nasty loud-I became embarrassed to ride it on the street especially when traffic was light as it brought all attention my way within a 1/2 mile-my neighbors did not appreciate it-and some were Harley riders with straight pipes.
    Noise pollution gives another reason to the environmentalists who want ICE to disappear.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    "Loud pipes SAVE lives". :)

Gianfranco341 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Vej9pl2R0/?igshid=1h5ojya5h7hy3

This is the clearest video I’ve heard to date of the GTS sound, with the GPF fitted. Not as good as hearing in person, of course. To me it sounds ok, but somewhat muffled vs the 812. Perhaps a decent after market exhaust will help....?!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Definitely more muted. Soon enough we should be able to hear them side by side.

Gianfranco341 likes this.
  17. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I’ve been inside and outside of a GTS. It *is* a more muted sound note on the upper RPM range than the SF, albeit not as throaty.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Just got confirmation that 2020 SF's have GPF.

19. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    My 2020 does not. Build finished 11/19. Do you have a 2020 with it?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Yes, one just arrived at the dealer who confirmed it has gpf.

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thankfully I just bought a 2019 SF....sounds epic, no nannies!
    No GTS until I have seen, driven, and heard in person.
    Zero interest in nannies, environmental BS in a Ferrari....zero.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Do they know where it is located in the exhaust?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Maybe now that GTS production is fully underway, and SF being built on same line as GTS, by default SF gets GPF??

24. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Any chance you could listen to it, to compare sound to 812 without GPF??

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    No way would they do that just by default. The engine management must be different for that GPF version plus who knows what other tricks they have to engineer into that GPF application. It is a big deal not just plug and play. Bad news but good news if you live in Vancouver British Columbia!