365 2+2 Angle Drive | FerrariChat

365 2+2 Angle Drive

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Aldo@FerrariWC, Jan 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aldo@FerrariWC

Dec 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Aldo Fourie
    Hi

Is it better (or possible) to source an angle drive for the 365 2+2 or rather try and repair the faulty one? Cant seem to find any supplier stocking this particular part.

2. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Which angle drive are you looking for. I have some used ones out in my shop, post a picture or send me a picture and I will see if I can match one up.

Chuck

3. Aldo@FerrariWC

Dec 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Aldo Fourie
  4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  5. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    OOCH!! the price.....

7. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    :)

8. Aldo@FerrariWC

Dec 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Aldo Fourie
    I believe both these are for LHD and I need a RHD one.

9. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hello Aldo, the picture shown in the thread #3 in this post corresponds to a diagram of the 365 GT 2+2: https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/Diagram/ferrari/365-gt-2-2-mk1-up-to-12810/016-distributors-controls?part=95400406

I had wrongly assumed the subject car was a 365 GT4 2+2 (this forum), apologies.

The item n°44 is part number 95400406, not available at Maranello Classic Parts, however it is listed at Allferrariparts in the US: https://www.allferrariparts.com/pn95400406id112819.html

Hope this helps

10. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Double OOCH!! Throw a couple of them in my cart!
    Ken

rovexienus likes this.
  11. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    T-Rutland had a box of used angle drives at the Georgia location. Give Brian a call. You might get lucky.

12. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Aldo
    I have a good angle drive that will work for you. If you can figure out how to use the private messaging on this site contact me. I can't figure out how to use it.

Chuck

13. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    PM.....go up to the upper right corner where your F-chat name is, a menu will drop down with 2 columns of things to do, look for "Conversations" and click on it.
    there will be a box in the upper right again labeled "start a new conversation", click on it....you will need the F-chat name/handle of who you want to contact.
    Then it is just like an email, when someone answers, there will be a red ball alarm up by your name, click on it to re-open your list of "conversations".

Gary

14. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Hi Chuck, you bought some headrests from me an age ago.
    you list your occupation as retired but I would think maintaining your lot is a full time job !!!!!!
    1972 365 GTC 4
    1973 365 GT4
    1973 365 GTB 4 Spider Conversion
    2000 550 Maranello
    Best wishes
    Howard

15. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Hello Howard;
    It has been a while hasn't it. I still have all the cars and drive the 550 Maranello and 365GTC/4 along with my C6 Corvette Convertible, I am just finishing the work on the 365 GT4 2+2, and hopefully ready to start reassembling the Daytona. I got stalled for quite a while due health problems for about 4 years but I am finally getting back to work on them and have found some talented people to help me now, where I was trying to do most of the work myself.
    If you know of anyone looking for a nice 365GT4 2+2, I should have this one finished in the summer with new paint, it has an engine that was rebuilt about 5000 miles ago and an excellent interior and is practically rust free. I will let you know if I ever get the Daytona back together.

Regards
    Chuck
    702-243-6557

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There are only a few differences between tachometer angle drives used in Ferraris. The early 250 and 330 used a drive that had a body made of brass or zinc with steel end plates that are held in place by cotter pins (see diagram in post #3). The later drives have die-cast zinc bodies with steel end plates that are held in place by rolling the edge of the zinc casting over the plate.

There is not much to fail or repair on these drives. They just have two gears that mesh with each other that are held in place by the end caps. The typical failure is on the later style drive, the end cap will come off and one gear will fall out. If you still have both gears for your drive, you can fabricate a new end cap and reinstall it in the casting with good epoxy.

What is wrong with your angle drive? If you need a replacement there are only two different drives for the later cars. LHD and RHD should use the same drive, why would there be a difference?

The regular 2-cam Columbo motors (such as a 365GT 2+2) have a timing chain that rotates clockwise (same as the crankshaft) and causes the cams to rotate clockwise. The tach angle drive is designed to spin the tach cable/tachometer in a clockwise manner as well (same as the tach needle movement).

The 4-cam motors 275GTB/4 and Daytona 365GTB/4 engines have timing chains that rotate clockwise which drives a central gear in the timing case that spins the gear driven cams counter-clockwise. These engines require a tach angle drive that has the gears machined the opposite direction so that the tach cable will rotate clockwise (as looked at from the end).

The 365 GT/4 2+2 and 400/400i/412 have a timing chain that is gear driven off of the crankshaft and spins counter-clockwise, causing the cams to also rotate counter clockwise. Thus the 365 GT/4 2+2 also requires the same (very expensive) drive as the 275GTB/4 and Daytona. The later 400/400i/412 use electronic tachometers, so they have no tach angle drives.

Is your motor a 365 GT 2+2 (2 cam), or a 365 GT/4 2+2 (4cam)?

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports