Kyalami...molto Speciale!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Kyalami...molto Speciale!!!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Mar 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It looks great, had det kul med den (=have fun with it):)!

2. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Nice car.
    Enjoy!
    A few more pics?

3. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Lucky guy, enjoy in good health. I always liked the Kyalami

4. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    F456M, Shamrock, MrMark and 2 others like this.
  5. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Beautiful.
    That carpet under the engine, is that for oil leaks?;)

6. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    C'mon; this is a shock on a Maserati GT thread!
    Gorgeous car!

Enjoy...

Regards.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Karting

Nov 18, 2012
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Congratulations David! Very cool car with the manual shifter. Glad it remained in Stockholm. Hopefully a few of us get to see it at Skokloster?

F456M likes this.
  8. Michele

Michele Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel Mulder
    Nope, this car is no longer in Holland. It is part of a German collection now and it will be auctioned by RM in Essen during Techno Classica. So grab your chance!
    I drove this prototype for two days during a weekend in 2010 and it was real fun to drive.

About 14 years ago I had the chance to buy a Kyalami in very good condition for just 10.000 euros but I just had bought a 2.24v one month earlier. I have always regretted the decision not to return the 2.24v and buy the Kya... Told myself that it did not fit in the garage anyhow.... :-(

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I remember those times.... Probably the worst car buy decition in your life! I had a 1991 222 4v. for three years, and I miss that car so much. I have been dreaming that I drive it probably twenty times! The torque of that engine was insane. Pretty crazy when I have a Ferrari 550, a jag XK8 cab and two other cars. After the 222 4v. I got two QP 3s and had some fun with them. A Kyalami would be the perfect combo with the QP engine and only two doors....

10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I finally took the plunge and got a 1980 4.9 liter Kyalami (5-speed of course). Many thanks to Marc Sonnery for checking out the car for me in Italy.

The Kyalami is an impressive car! Not sure what I was expecting but it is fun to drive, especially considering its size. To me it looks like a more modern version of the Mexico, except it drives much better. To those that think it is just a re-badged DeTomaso Longchamp I must say that there are many differences and Frua did a nice job cleaning up the lines. Super comfortable seats and the interior design and fit/finish is very nice.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JP365, lineaTesoro, F1tommy and 6 others like this.
  11. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well that's a gorgeous example. I had a ride in one in Italy back in 94 I think?
    It didn't excite me but then I was far more into my Bora and Biturbo at that time, both of which are more exciting cars.

Fresh restoration no?

12. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    I have driven Ramboy’s car a few times before he got it. It has a completely different driving characteristic compared to the classic Maseratis. To me it feels more sporty, a bit tighter both in the suspension and steering. Great fun, a bit like an italian muscle car, at least with the 4,9L

F456M likes this.
  13. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    I have driven Ramboy’s car a few times before he got it. It has a completely different driving characteristic compared to the classic Maseratis. To me it feels more sporty, a bit tighter both in the suspension and steering. Great fun, a bit like an italian muscle car, at least with the 4,9L

Ramboy likes this.
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Ivan,

very happy you like it, you made it easy for my inspection as you had selected an excellent example and I was very glad it came out with flying colors, the few small electrical details you sorted out with your usual efficiency.

I loved driving it in September in Emilia Romagna, it feels like a Khamsin except you are seated upright with normal power steering and brakes...this was in the plain below the Appenino mountains 40 minutes north of Modena and seeing those ahead with their challenging roads I really wanted to drive up into them to have a spirited run up there...but I am sure you will do so in your Georgia mountains:) Enjoy the car and I am sure there will be some concours silverware soon:)

lineaTesoro likes this.
  15. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The Kyalami was restored in Italy and the paint and interior work is excellent. Unfortunately, as in many situations, the guys doing the interior dash had no clue how to deal with electrical wires and left many things disconnected or plugged into the wrong places. None of the interior lights worked, many of the indicators did not work, the wipers barely moved .... the clock only worked with the ignition on. I now know more about the Kyalami wiring that I ever wanted to know :) . The good thing is the car has very good "bones" and once all the electrical gremlins were sorted out the end result is a very good Kyalami.

These photos were taken a couple of weeks ago as I was putting humpty dumpty back the way it left the factory.

Ivan

m5shiv, F1tommy, F456M and 3 others like this.
  16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Kyalami and Longchamp had the classiest styling for a GT car ever, IMO.
    Saw my first one in late 70s and kept walking around it for probably half an hour, leaving my drool all around it.....

17. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Congratulations with your new car! Looks fantastic - Cheers!

18. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Very nice car.
    And a bundle of snakes wiring.... Good that you sorted it out!

There are no drive tests of such a rare car...
    I understand that it has the same IRS and front suspensions than the Khamsin.
    Could you tell us more about its handling?

19. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Actually, this book from around 2000 contains reprints of three articles on the Kyalami, including two period test drives reports.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Froggie likes this.
  20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The ZF gearbox is the same as the Khamsin but the IRS I believe is like the QP3 ,with vented inboard brakes. Car handles nice and tight. It has standard ZF power steering therefore the steering feels nothing like a Khamsin.

I found this interesting article that was published in Auto Class Magazine
    http://www.autoclassmagazine.com/web/maserati-kyalami-the-swan-song-of-the-trident-glory/

Ivan

Froggie likes this.
  21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I like the idea of that clock starting to run when you turn on the ignition. Then you can see for how long time you have driven the car. Just need to beat in mint why was «the time» when you started the engine. Congrats! I miss that 4,9 real V8 sound a lot. Modern cars of today have catalyzers and no four double carbs... Not near as much fun!

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A rather flattering portrayal of Detomaso, not all would agree though.

I loved this statement. "Only 25 cars were fitted with the automatic gearbox (3-speed BorgWarner fitted also in the QP3)." Wait a second ... We certainly never saw a QPIII over here fitted with one of those. Did some sneak onto an Early European version?

So Ivan you have another rather famous automobile of this ilk.

http://www.thecarnut.com/IsoGrifo.html

Not a 2+2 but even so ... how do they compare from a driving performance, handling and comfort perspective?

23. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The Grifo drives more like a Mistral than a Kyalami. Of course, totally different engine sound. What the Grifo has going for it is an incredible design. This August I'll be diving the Grifo on the Pebble Beach Motoring Classic so I'll find out more about its comfort on a 1,600 mile drive.

Ivan

24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You also have the electric power steering fitted correct?

25. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Correct. The electric PS makes the car a lot more enjoyable at slow speeds. I turn it off in curvy roads.

Ivan