Testarossa Price Trends | Page 159 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    He has better pictures of the Testarossa :p

Shamile likes this.
  2. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Looked at the white Testarossa that sold at Goodings today. Nice car, had been detailed to the nines! Drivers seat had been touched up badly, but everything else look pretty good. The color combo in my opinion white on white was awesome. The problem with auctions like that, is you can't get in and drive it or test all the little things that I know are problem areas on the Testarossa, so it makes it scary to buy that way. I'm sure it sold for that price because you just don't see this color combo. With 12% buyers premium, it went for $103K

3. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Ratty TRs was 15 yrs ago .... millions of threads here with people dropping large sums of money keeping them on the road, and fixing them back up to standard. The car is too old now to have hidden issues ... they wouldn’t be on the road at 30yrs old just looking pretty anymore. It costs large to keep a 25-35yr old TR in good looking shape .... therefore, I would disagree with a test drive. There is no perfect resale car in any brand at 30yrs old, unless it just came off a complete nut, bolt restore. 103 is too low for this car .... everyone buying a old used car has to expect something once they take it home. Simple.

sherrillt, turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  4. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    when i saw my white on white for sale i had never seen one i bought it right away

5. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    for 103 i think buyer got a good deal especially the color combo

Natkingcolebasket69 and EZORED like this.
  6. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    This car ? the car with two owners and a fresh service he got a good deal ?

The buyer STOLE this car without a mask !

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1988-ferrari-testarossa/

It’s beyond pitiful such a car selling for garbage money. Cars like this should be in the 2s having a fresh service

7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    #3957 blkdiablo33, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    i agree it should start with a 2 thats why i bought mine a few years ago i looked at it and said these cars that are great examples should start with a 2 and its offered alot less but hey i jumped on it same day did not even see it in person

8. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    and with luggae and all those service records and the cell antenna got to love that, im sure buyer is super excited congrats to him or her

9. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Wayne Newton was too busy chasing tail to take care of his car collection. So I hear.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  10. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    ...and there's a problem with that?

;)

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sherrillt and MOSS like this.
  11. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    He always seemed to play the lady killer part. A sensible guy should be able to manage both don’t you think?

blkdiablo33 and Shamile like this.
  12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Smart man

Shamile likes this.
  13. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
  15. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I was there at the Gooding auction, and most cars were selling for far below estimates. This IS the market, and people have to appreciate a new normal in classic car prices.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A new normal? You mean this weeks new normal. Suggesting any permanency is just being ignorant of history.

vincenzo, Zeff and MOSS like this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

That is true but those prices have sort of been like this over the past 2/3 years since the peak (with exceptions). I would think this Is what the previous poster is saying.
    Of course permanency is temporary and therefore in car terms an oxymoron.This thread is a proof:10 years ago they could be had for 60k, 5 years ago they sky rocketed and who knows where they will be in a few years. All we know is the TR family is a beautiful special car;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZORED and Shamile like this.
  18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Every single Ferrari ever made goes through this. The timing varies a little, the proportionate value varies too. Nothing new. 250GTE and 330 2+2 sat so low for years they had a one cent sale on them and people were cutting them up to make other stuff from them much the same as 400's now. Many predicted that would never change. They are both around 1/4 million now. Same happened to our Lamborghini LM002. Sat in the doldrums for years, now $200 wont get one that runs. Will that ever happen to TR? I don't think as dramatic because so many were built but to suggest it will not change relative to the overall market is as I said, ignorant of history. Dumb to own for an investment but that is true of any automobile.

Zeff, xplodee, MOSS and 1 other person like this.
  19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #3970 boxerman, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    the Tr you’re correct many were made. Also as you say automobiles are not really a smart investment. Much of what drove the market post recession was “investment” money with production Ferrari prices peaking in 15.

many thought it would keep going, there was even a bubble burst post on f chat.

With rare exceptions most Ferrari prices are off 20-30%. We see this with everything fro. F40s to Re’s to boxers to Daytona’s. The silly money has departed the post 60s production Ferrari market for now.

amazingly the 456 has gained slightly and the 400i has got some reckognition.

if a testarossa had only been produced in the 100s of copies it would be really really valuable for many reasons. Objectively it’s a great car, and while the looks may be polarizing g it’s a standout, IMO looks best in black.
    It sits at a Unique junction in that it still is very much the classic Ferrari Drive experience but it’s injected and the ac works so it’s truly the useable classic.

however like boxers testarosas require people who can actually “drive” and that’s a limited market given the numbers produced.
    same can be said of the 308 which objectively is every bit the equal of a Dino, just not so rare.

dinos prices may defy logic but not really, classic 60s styling but the car is by classic standards really easy to use and rare enough that it’s cool dress “art” when parked.

the markets not always logical but testaroosas are 1/2 boxer prices and boxers are at best1/2 Daytona prices and none of those cars is strong right now. That’s been the pricing rule for 20 years.

at 80-100k for a good one the testarosa is a great buy. I would say a 355 is also a great buy but those cars really seem to be maintanace hogs, at least that my impression.

personaly the the testaroosa is a great buy, they’re not really going down in price and if you drive it then the maintanace is the entertainment cost.

a euro gt4 is my choice, fast, camy, and the good bits of a stratos/countach in a more tasteful Ferrari suit. Plus being a bertone fetrariits rare. The us spec ones are stylistically challenged and performance dogs compared to the euro cars. But try find a good one. Try find a good euro 308qv for that matter.

Ferrari for many is now a gauche brand and overdone. Means good prices for enthusiasts and many cars now in reach of many again, that’s a good thing.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Shamile like this.
  20. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    You can pretty much throw history out the window. It will likely never repeat itself with the new electrified digital era. Plus you get the public perception of fossil fuels and their perceived role in climate change making many things irrelevant. Younger generation Xers don't care about classical cars as much as I do, let alone drive manuals. The 2010's was an opportunity for many of us to buy the classical cars of our dreams. But there is no younger cohort ready to do the same behind our generation.
    I was shocked to see a red 550 Maranello with 21k go for only $96k yesterday. Another theft? It seems that the truly special low miles and low production cars were still selling well, but that too is a harbinger.

21. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    This I completely agree with.

As far as maintenance goes, when ferralac was selling his 360 modena, I was shocked at the maintenance he had to perform just to drive the damn thing....and way more than a Testarossa.

That really turned me off from buying one. If I'm going to pay that much for maintenance, it might as well be a V12 Lamborghini.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

xplodee and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    murcilago seems a great buy too. Are those big on maintainance?

23. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I just sold my Murcielago Roadster. The maintenance was so high...even for me. I just didn't think it was worth what I was getting out of it in driving pleasure. I had it for 4 years and spend 60k in maintenance including a new clutch, coils, egear computer etc etc etc.. I just couldn't tame it to be a daily driver...I tried. I could only do 16k miles in 4 years.

The Aventador is much less expensive to maintain. You don't have to do an engine out for every little thing.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Aventador soon to be replaced, then prices decline for a decade.

Shamile likes this.