Sothebys 458 GT3 - Chassis 3238 | FerrariChat

Sothebys 458 GT3 - Chassis 3238

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Fundlawyer, Jan 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    Sothebys has a 458 GT3 for auction in Arizona. Chassis 3238. Does anyone know anything about this car? I know nothing about the GT3 cars. Are they built by Ferrari or Michelotto? How much more expensive is this car to run compared to a 458 challenge? This car has a Hewland, which I really like. Have raced cars with the Hewland. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #2 chrixxx, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Build by Michelotto, Running costs are almost identical to the challenge less the expensive CCM Brakes in the Challenge, GT3 Steel brakes are much cheaper (and better...) great car. Love it. one of the best track toys today. This particular GT3 seems to have no racing history and also seems not to be fully upgraded to latest specs. Especially Interieur looks like first more "challenge" based version as from 2014 the Car got a massive upgrade to more GT2 Style and GT2 Steering wheel and dashpanel. Front hood seems to have the 2014 upgrades, not sure about the dampers etc. I owned the very last built 458 GT3 and still regret that I sold it.... its very fast, fun to drive, reliable and for a real Ferrari Race Car relatively cheap to run.

3. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Chris,

I'm interested in learning more about the improvements that were offered for the 458 GT3 over its lifespan. Would you be willing to explain in more detail what specific upgrades were offered and your assessment of their relative benefit?

Ernest

4. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My car was the latest build 458 GT3 in 2016 so the Car was latest spec. I'm not 100% sure by when which update was made but I do know that for 2014 the Car got different cooling system (you can identify by the front bonnet), different Dampers, and interieur was completly different (Steering wheel, Paddleshift and Dash Console) and different Mirrors I'm sure Mr. @tomgt knows more details :)

Old Interieur with Challenge fixed paddelss and more Challenge Console

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Upgrade GT2/GTE Steering wheel, paddles on the Steering wheel and new Console

2011 Version with Challenge front hood and first version of Mirrors

2014 cooling system and front hood with new Mirrors

5. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Chris: thank you for the explanation and pictures, this is very helpful information!

6. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    What. do you guys think a car like this is worth? There is no information about its maintenance or hours on the engine or tranny. It says it has a Hewland. Did Michellotto install Hewlands? I dont get the impression its race ready.

7. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes the 458 had Hewland while the 488 has x-trax Gearboxes. We track milage on almost every of the technical componets including wishbones, uprights, starter motor, clutch, engine, gearbox, exhaust, driveshafts etc, etc...
    for a well maintained car i would set the price somewhere 240-260K EUR while for a car with no details, milage sheet, history 190-220k. As you might need to rebuild engine, gearbox and other stuff. The 458 Maintenance isn‘t very expensive or delicate, cars do 20k KM on engines without rebuild but its always better to keep everything tracked and replaced as the manufacturer (Michelotto) recommendations

8. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The description says minimal usage so I‘m guessing less than 10K KM, also car seems just have been used for track days and was driven by the owner. So not a heavy used rental race car with multiple pro drivers, and championships. What wonders me is that it says 2014 and outside looks 2014 but interieur is 2011-2013 pre-upgrade. The GT2 upgrade interieur is much more driver friendly but all in all seems fair priced (if you get it close to the 200k) and no hidden costs. Car is eligible for Club Competizione GT and still one of the best track toys out there. And it sounds amazing, only topped by the 458 GTE but that one carries another price tag...

9. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    thank you. This is great information. I have stayed away from GT3/GT2 cars because of the availability of parts. Is it hard to get parts? for example the front splitter or rear bumper.

10. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    Thank you. Very helpful. I have asked RM for some more info. Will let you know if they send me snything.

11. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No, no problem to get parts. new from Michelotto and Kessel or some used/repaired ones from different teams. Let me know if you look for something specific and I can get you in contact with them.

NürScud and ewright like this.
  12. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    sold for $179,000 USD.

13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    All in, or hammered at $179?

14. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    $179,200 minus the fee

15. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Someone did a good deal IMHO

ewright likes this.
  16. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    That's a steal.

17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I’m not so sure it was a steal. ANSA has several cars from A dealer in France. These cars have been sitting around for years. I believe this was one of them. I bought a challenge car from the same collection. My car needed a LOT of work and not in the best of shape.

Michael B and tomgt like this.