F355 Market | Page 138 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ The mileage is crazy but damn, so is that price. Bought a gorgeous example of that car long ago for I believe, 6500? Only owned it a few weeks due to boredom but I am a Toyota fan, well vintage Toyota fan.

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I saw that Supra. There were two stored since new - like less than 100 miles...

Still not interested. :D

Robb

ShineKen and Yassa like this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I had an MKIII Supra long ago. The 7m sucks. Gotta be a 1j or 2j. Wouldn’t have paid more than $25k for that car.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #3429 johnk..., Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  5. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I’ve probably purchased my last f-car but my F1 will always be in my garage and so will the stick version. I’ll probably put my TDF 550 on the block this year though I haven’t made a final decision about that.

The used Ferrari market is crowded right now with a lot of sub $100K options. It’s seems a buyers market. As I said, the 355 has the distinction of being THE definitive quintessential Ferrari and its value will always reflect that. It is a unique beauty. Glad to be an owner.
    For the sake of the thread and IMO I would say that if you’re buying:

Unicorns you should be at or around $100K For Bs and GTSs and $80 or so for a spider.

good Bs or GTSs at this time should be paying around $80K spiders $65-75K

Dogs and stories should be paying around $40-$50

The spreads being the degree of negotiation in this market.

6. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    And I must say, why would you be.

To me, there are only certain old cars worth owning and an old Toyota or Honda are definitely not on that list.

7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    We must me the only owner group that attacks any upward movement in value. I guarantee there is no such dialogue on the 911tt, Supra or nsx forums.
    Seriously, interested buyers Google and read these post where you guys just dog on the values, critical of every car, to the point of calling any car with a slightly dirty engine bay or sticky switch worthless.
    Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

I would appreciate if some of you posted on the Porsche forum so I can get a 993tt for under a 100k again

Sami, eyeman1234, audi_328 and 7 others like this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ha such a great post. Testarossa crowd sees to have the same thing.

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Totally agree. Also, a “unicorn” F1 355 - meaning a time capsule, sub 5000 miles, in immaculate, unmolested, original condition with superb documented history, is worth well over $100k. A gated 95 would be even more. 355’s are generally well driven cars. There are very few in this type of condition, and I believe the market for them would reflect those types of numbers.

eyeman1234 and carnutdallas like this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    AtSomePoint likes this.
  11. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I think the terminology is getting mixed up

Time Capsule - low miles original condition, like new off the showroom floor

Vs

Unicorn - one off spec, not thought it would exist... like that blue Dino 355 carbon sport seats for sale in Europe.

Some cars might have both designations...

Robb

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Good clarification. My description is referring to a time capsule. Not many 355’s like that exist.

13. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    That is the problem with Ferrari People. Sub 5k miles is stupid in my opinion. This means you will have MORE mechanical issues if these people knew anything about cars. I see mine with 38k more valuable, because it is a well sorted F355, unbreakable drive shaft now, headers will not "melt" with upgraded FabSpeed and valve issues addressed.

But what the hell do I know..

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’ll take a well cared for, sub 5000 mile time capsule over someone else’s high miles, well maintained wear and tear any day.

15. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I had a 210,000 BMW M5 two owner that was practically pristine. Car did everything well. Everything worked. Extensive records. Would love a shot at a 355 like that. The low mile cars really can’t be driven. At least not for investment value and they have that value. But a well sorted, ultra high mile is fun to me. No downside ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    There’s no such things as downside if a car pleases you and meets your expectations. Naturally, a car with super high miles is going to have many more issues than one with very few miles, but, if the criteria you described gives you pleasure than you should do just that.

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  18. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It is my observation that anyone who wants one of those has one. And less and less of a market who are looking for one.

It always comes down to the market and what it’s willing to pay.

To clarify, I am not one to talk the market down, heck, I already offered mine out there last year for $1 billion dollars. I am actually happy that I didn’t have a taker. I couldn’t give two turds if my car was worth $30K because I wouldn’t love it any less and it’s not for sale anyway. My particular car they only built 2 of and its modded extensively and perfectly for me. But again, given the scope and size of the competitive landscape out there, the general 355 jockey doesn’t love his car the way us 355 cult followers do and they pick em up and drop em off. What that means is that there are a lot of cars to fill the bill for an average guy looking to take a used up beauty on some cheap dates and then throw her around to the next guy. Lots of cars available means lots of competition for the seller. Simple. Sure that means more good cars are being down graded to C grade status by guys who can’t keep up to her and there are fewer good cars available thus one would think therefore command a premium however, if your main beef is your cars value, put your car up for sale for what you think it’s worth today. Go ahead. If you think that you will sell it within 6 months with a clean, no hassles transaction without dealing with 10,000 turds who waste your time or want to take you to task for every little minute detail and missing oil change record for a $60-$100K used car. Don’t kid yourself. It’s a rare occurrence, it happens but it’s rare. Us nutty cult owners didn’t buy the car based on future value, we bought it on enjoyment factor. To give us brief pauses from stress and obligations for pure selfish **** grinning un abashed joy.

If I’m not mistaken, the beautiful 355 that was completely reconditioned by Brandon, commissioned by a doctor was for sale for more than 2 years for a $100K. Custom interior, charcoal grey exterior I believe. One of THE most beautiful reconditions that I have ever scene by an esteemed shop. What’s left of it is with Russ in Sacramento. I don’t think it sold but it looked like it lived out its days as a track weapon. My point in all of this is everyone here has an opinion and I wouldn’t get too hung up on it. What I say or anyone else isn’t going to move the market one way or the other. The desire of the market will dictate that. Everyone knows what the 355 is or is not. Does and does not.

Had mine for many years, not for sale now. Not for sale ever. Life is short, particularly good and full lives, so enjoy more and worry less.

19. zhani355

zhani355 Rookie

Dec 31, 2018
    Bellevue WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin J
  20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I’m pretty sure the Bradan restored Canna Di fucile 355 was unfortunately crashed and salvaged not long after the restoration... the original owner did not trash the car...

Robb

Jon Von Bon likes this.
  21. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #3446 Jon Von Bon, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020

Robb, that is the car I mentioned above. It was crashed long after the restoration. The good doctor had a hell of a time trying to sell the car almost immediately after spending around $100K on it at Brandon. It was a virtual new car and It was for sale for at least 2 years. What is left resides at Ferrparts also as mentioned. Though not original, paint interior etc... it was a clean titled, masterfully and tastefully put together car complete with a bare metal spray that was better than new and more desirable than its birth colour (no offence to giallio lovers) and an interior that was of “Taylor made” caliber and certainly bespoke of the highest order.
    I don’t know the story after the Doctor had it but it did die a violent death with some kind of roll cage assembly in it. That did not come from the build that Brandon did. Either way it was a tragic end to one of the most beautiful belinettas I have ever seen that couldn’t sell for even what the refurb cost was. I’m not posting to piss in the brethren’s cornflakes, I’ve seen some guys rebuild cars and find “the right guy” directly when finished, I hate to burst any bubbles, but, you found the right guy, at the right time and it isn’t any more complicated as that. One could just have easily sat on the same car as many others are waiting for their price, for years.

Do you mean to tell me the average guy is going to step over a nice 90K 430 to pick up a $100K 355? Not a chance.

Jesus, there are $125 clean titled 458s out there.

22. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Robb, by the way, congratulations on your awesome shop and two new F car aquasitions. You have fine taste to go along with that great eye of yours.

Enjoy rigorously Comrade!

Robb likes this.
  23. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I wasn’t commenting on F355 values or where they are or aren’t headed, even though I am an unashamed F355 cult member and have had four in my garage. They are all cool.

my point above was simply that I didn’t think the restorer of the cdf car ragged on that car And that it was another, later owner. :)

on the other points, many 355 owners would jump at a 430 because of those chains and lower maintenance costs, and the extra hp I would think. I also know many 355 owners that also own a 430 or 458 as a different feel. depends on what you want from your special experience. I’d like a 430 but would not want to lose the F355 to get one. I’d also like a 458 but the same rationale goes.

but you won’t be finding any stick 430’s selling in the 90’s so those stepping over for a 355 might just be for that perfect stick experience - my favorite manual gearbox in any Ferrari... or those pretty lines experience... or that noise experience...

Many 430 and 458 owners are also finding they can’t get the same thrills from the faster cars without going... much, much faster, and that puts them in the crosshairs more rapidly of the long arm of the law on the street.

lot to choose from in the around 100k market. The market is slow and definitely bipolar. :D

I personally already find my 360 to be a very fast car... so I’m not sure what I need with something faster on the street that’s not as pretty...

The F355 just seems perfect in so many more ways so I’ll stick with mine, tape over the odometer, maintain as good as humanly possible, and drive often until I pass it down to one of the kids.

Robb

Sami, paulchua, ShineKen and 2 others like this.
  24. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Well said comrade. Also, I am counted among the many unashamed 355 cult owners/followers. It has always been a must have car.

Hopefully the market value for these beauties picks up for those that it matters to.

25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #3450 johnk..., Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Being a spider owner, and having said many time that in the long run spiders will be the more valuable cars, I have to post these segments from a couple of articles.

For Hagerty, May, 2019Note, prices listed do not include the premium for gated cars.

Ok, you hate Hagerty, so lets turn to the UK, Classic Cars magazine, 2019.

So there you have it from both sides of the pond. Prices are generally down, spiders have taken back the lead, as was the case indicated buy the BAT data. So you take all the time capsule and unicorn and other sucker sales and throw it away and look at the real market, world wide data that so many here want to ignore.