Ferrari has a new grey, our 812 TM experience | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari has a new grey, our 812 TM experience

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Lukeylikey, Mar 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Your Grigio Isabel reminds me of a darker version of Grigio COBURN with that same luminosity showing even with the factory lighting. It is sad the paint change that 166MM Oblin suffered after such a strong effort to get the details correct. Your Grigio Isabel 812 will be spectacular in the natural light!

Lukeylikey likes this.
  2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    And here she is! Grigio Isabel and our 812. I’m absolutely delighted with the colour (useful because we went with that on our GTS too!). I think the full effect when properly photographed will bee something we love and cherish. You can notice the red and white striping on the sills too. Inside some of the details linking it to that original 166MM are visible - white piped seats and white dashes around the doors. The car arrives next week and straight off for PPF.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Bellissima!!!! This color (and car!) is gorgeous, and I can only imagine how much better it will look in the light of day! Well done!

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Geezits!

Pretty darn awesome. I can't wait for some photos in the sunlight.

5. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    Can I ask how long from signing off the spec to now please? - as I'm waiting for any news on mine since signing off in June last year - thanks!

6. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    Congrats!! absolutely fantastic car......please send us more pics in&out as soon as you get delivery, we want to admire this beauty!!
    Enjoy in health...

7. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Match 18 was our TM appointment, although I changed the seat spec about 2 months later. The car should have arrived early/mid 2019, no idea why it was so late.

Thank for your comments everyone. Cheers

Foxmod likes this.
  8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Checking back at the real pic, it is so much prettier than the fchat low res pic. I don’t know how to post full resolution?

9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #84 Lukeylikey, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Our car has arrived at our dealer now and ready to be PDI’d and off for PPF. We went up for a sneaky peek last night and took a few photos. They got the build exactly right and some of the details that I was wondering how they would execute have been done really well, such as the white dashed leather across the doors and the rear shelf. This is a key detail from the original car but interpreting it into a large cabin with very complex surfaces and airbags can’t have been easy. I can imagine some don’t like this detail and it does look quite ‘unique’ in a modern Ferrari but I like it. It also justifies, along with the solid white seat piping, what is an otherwise very black and plain interior.

There was a 488 modelled in the same car and I felt they struggled getting the three horizontal seat indents right on the carbon seats. I think they have struggled again but the solution they chose is at least neat if not absolutely accurate. It goes to show that TM is a complex thing for a large manufacturer to do in this day and age. But it’s a sign that they are proud and committed to their heritage that they put in the effort of trying to meet customers’ unusual demands, especially when recreating a homage to an historic vehicle.

The ‘new grey’ is a little darker than it appears in the pictures - only a shade or so - and is covered in dust so the final finish will be much nicer but we still got a good idea of what our choices and ideas will look like in use. The workshop lighting did little for the colour but daylight will change that. I loved the Rosso Maranello still and bonnet/hood striping and again makes a very plain ‘grey car with silver wheels’ into something unusual, tasteful and interesting. RM is a link to our Speciale - our first new Ferrari and one we ordered from the Atelier and did a factory pick up with - but it also looks very faithful to the original, which the main body colour is not (should be matte paint which my wife hates so artistic licence needed!). What I loved about the original livery is that it shows racing heritage without being an overt racing livery in the normal way. Kinda like the Superfast itself. It is different and attractive, without making the car look overt and aggressive. Our car seems to replicate that feeling very well.

The interior and exterior is (mostly) carbon free. The original never had it so why should ours? There are two exceptions, maybe three. The sill insignia uses matte carbon, we tried wood and other materials and just didn’t like it. And the seats were a late change from standard. I just prefer them, especially when pushing on a bit. You feel the car better. And this is not an ornament, so we switched. Am I glad about that! The carbon seats look fantastic in our spec and, to match the sill, have a matte black carbon back. They are simply beautiful. The third item is leather-covered; the steering wheel. I always order the shift lights, which are a carbon component. Here though, they have provided a metal-spoked wheel and covered the carbon. When you are driving the car not an inch of carbon is visible. As for the exterior, we wanted as much focus on the livery as possible (paying enough for it!) and in the original the red paint is the lowest part of the body. We therefore wanted the black plastic to basically disappear and for the most part it does.

Our car has count prestige leather and is it ever beautiful. There is a lot of plain black inside our car but rather than that be broken up by multi-colours, it is relieved by texture because count prestige has a very rich, waxy, almost aged feel. It’s not smooth but very nice to touch and lifts the whole interior. I had also forgotten we selected Kevlar flooring. Mostly because, despite looking like a luxury car, the original was, in fact, a racer. Great choice - who knew that a hard-working material would feel like such a luxury and just so freaking cool! This was our nod to the roots of what has been a brilliant and interesting car to use as inspiration for the brilliant and interesting Ferrari 812 Superfast.

We will register the car for Match, when the year plate changes in the UK so still a few weeks before I drive it. But I’ve waited this long, what’s a couple more weeks?!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mkultra, marky1, Ak3 and 13 others like this.
  10. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Ak3, Thecadster, Terzeus1 and 9 others like this.
  11. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    That is quite beautiful! Many congrats.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  12. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Stunning
    Congrats!

Lukeylikey likes this.
  13. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Spectacular! Worth the wait.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Capturing the 166 vibe is a tall order but this 812 plays well to that concept. The Rosso Maranello central stripe is the crowning touch especially in the way that it necks down and how it finishes towards the base of the windshield. The white pinstripe frames the Rosso Maranello perfectly; giving the red an even greater authority.
    Grigio Isabel seems a bit warmer than say Grigio Silverstone and certainly well deserves it's encore performance on the GTS.
    Thank you for sharing this delightfully whimsical tm build here!

Caeruleus11 and Lukeylikey like this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Spectacular! Congratulations and thank you for sharing the process and stunning results!

You are right, they take their heritage and ability to translate it into a modern form very seriously, they always get it right. This is one of the very best! Bravo!

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Unbelievable. Congrats. I love it. The style, the panache, the boldness. It’s perfect.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  17. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Wow. Stunning and unique! Jealous your delivery times are so fast. Our 812 has been at the port in New Jersey for over a month, awaiting transport to the west coast. Anxiously awaiting the Rosso Maranello as your pics and input were a major deciding factor.

of2worlds and Lukeylikey like this.
  18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Big congrats. Love all the thought and effort that went into a design that is so unique. Enjoy in good health.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Love the grey and contrast of the dark red and white stripe :)
    It looks amazing.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    We took delivery this week. What a great experience and although the wait has seemed enormous, the end result is spectacular. The Grigio Isabel paint is beyond beautiful and suits the car completely. Like all the triple layers it is not one colour, instead becoming very dark (almost black) under low light, more mid grey under brighter light and translucent under sunlight where the high quantity of minute spheres in the mica paint go wild!

Big shout out to our dealer, Graypaul Birmingham, who managed to get the contact via another customer for my daughter and arranged for her to bring my granddaughter into the showroom without my knowledge and took some professional photographs of her and other family members with the car. The pictures were playing on their TV as I walked in, before the reveal. I’m obviously getting a reputation for sentimentality but you know, I don’t care about that! Classy touch from a great dealer.

Properly prepared the car now looked amazing. It’s not road-registered until March so had to be delivered home the next morning, whereupon my wife (who saw the car being unloaded before I could get outside) told me that outside the car was even better than we had seen it before. She has never been so enthused about the appearance of a car!

Delivery day has come and gone, after March I’ll post some driving impressions and proper pictures to wrap up the thread. We’re delighted.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Absolutely spectacular! Congratulations on an amazing spec.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  22. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    Very nice car. I am extremely happy for you.

Lukeylikey and deltona like this.
  23. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Stunning in every respect
    Can’t wait to see the sister GTS!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Lukeylikey likes this.
  24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Looks great Luke, I bet you are pleased.:)

Lukeylikey likes this.
  25. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    Congrats!, one question as my 812 is arriving next month, does yours have GPF?
    Thanks

Lukeylikey likes this.