Wanted - Wanted: Cheap, reliable SUV | FerrariChat

Wanted Wanted: Cheap, reliable SUV

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Gle8, Jan 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Hi all,

A good friend of mine (the local Veterinarian) is in need of new transportation. As you can imagine, local vets aren't exactly swimming in money, and she asked me to help her find a new car.

Budget is $5K, though I can help out a bit for the right car. I'm fairly motivated, as she keeps my 4 doggos in good health.

Most important thing is that it won't require a bunch of deferred maintenance or immediate repair bills after purchase. The only other must have is AWD/4WD.

Not the typical wanted ad for F-Chat, but I'd like to help her out. Perhaps you've got something sitting around that you can turn in to some cash and help out a solid person in need.

Let me know if you have something that fits the bill. Thanks!

anunakki and thecarreaper like this.
  2. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    I believe I have exactly what you are describing.
    Give me a call and I will fill you in on the details.
    480 316 2718
    Zack Hawker

3. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Glee,let me know if hawks doesn’t work out..my f150 May need a new home,01,lowish miles,extra cab 4 doors,4x4,only big problem it’s here in NC..it’d get to CO no problem,but that’s a flight here,innit..cheers RE

Gle8 likes this.
  4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    How about more info? I need a work truck. :)

5. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Hot,let glee have his say,and I’ll getback ..it hasunder 140k,leather int,good tires,brakes new,up to date reg maint,pass window inop..
    This only pic I’ve got..it’s in RDU area,my son using it on his dog ranch/spa..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

PM'd!

7. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I know that Mercedes has a bad rep at the moment, but I have a 1998 Ml-320 that is still going strong after 103,000 miles. In the first couple of years, it went back to the dealer many times for various warranty and upgrade work. It has never left me stranded in 21 years. I recently had some paint work done for scratches and body dings and it looks brand new. It is all wheel drive with an interior switch for low range.

We have taken this vehicle everywhere, from foraging in the Death and Monument Valleys to climbing rocks like the crazy guys who do that sort of thing as a weekend sport. It's been back and forth across the country three times, and gas mileage averaged in the high 20s while at 70 mph.

Although you could not pry this vehicle from my clenched fingers, I though I would mention my experience with the ML because the vehicle seems bulletproof even after all these years. Maybe it is a candidate for your veterinarian friend. If so, look at a well-sorted 2000 or later as they had some features and additional sound proofing that made the vehicle more comfortable to use. I think the price for such a vehicle will fall with your friend's price range.

Good luck.

Jim

wax and Gle8 like this.
  8. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There are 50-60 Buick Enclaves that fit the bill on cars.com. I've always liked the lines on that truck. Would be cheap to maintain.

Wade likes this.
  9. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    On a side note, I am still waiting/hoping to purchase Piper's Cayenne Turbo S should he ever put it up for sale.

Back on topic, I think most used Subaru's would be a good choice for Vet Friend. See Subaru options near you at below link.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mkId=20041&prMx=6000&rd=40&searchSource=QUICK_FORM&stkTypId=28881&zc=80303

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wow, I'd forgotten that. Sorry. I came close to buying a replacement a couple weeks ago and would have put it up for sale but changed my mind again. It's hard parting with your perfect car. Send me a PM with your email addr and I'll make sure I know how to get hold of you if I ever decide to part ways with her.

jackj45 likes this.
  11. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

There's lots of deals out there (local) but I'd much prefer to get her something vetted. I trust the folks here, which is why I posted here :)

Isobel and wax like this.
  12. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Got a few leads, still looking. Whatcha got?

13. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Can't beat the value of an older Tahoe with a 5.3L. They keep going and going...with minimal maintenance. For a smaller vehicle, a Subaru Outback would do the trick. That opposed 4 cylinder they put in those is amazing...

14. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Does it have to be an SUV? I have a cherry 1 owner 2001 Pontiac Bonneville in my possession.
    148K miles immaculate service records.

15. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Unfortunately yes. As a Vet, she often has to transport dogs and such. Thanks though!

16. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Understand

17. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Glee,sorry I can’t respond positively..son needed truck more than I knew..and some things have changed..so offer has to be withdrawn. Good luck with search,cheers,RE

Hot,ditto..sorry,RE

18. JSP

JSP Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Buy a Used Lexus 350. Our 2007 has never had a problem
    Very dependable.

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    They used to be very hard to find under 10k

20. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Have a friend that has a 99 Expedition, very well cared for, one owner truck. Located in MD

21. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I might very well be interested!

22. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    My dad bought this new. Mine since Jan 2020. 2009 GMC Canyon SLE crew cab 4x4. Inline 5 engine. 129k miles... almost all of which are driving on I-90 about 30 miles east of Seattle. Maintained to the absolute letter and garaged since new. Brand new tires.

Hoodude likes this.
  23. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Buy a CRV. I bought one as a cheap alternative so my fiancé wouldn't go over her miles on her lease and its been awesome.

rnelson likes this.
  24. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Gle8 aren’t you the guy with the Italjet Dragster 180 that likely I sold new to Gary Payton?

25. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

That's me!