Testarossa Price Trends | Page 157 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    You hit the nail on the head....exactly

BOKE and paulchua like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh or "so how many ferraris have you actually bought and sold since inception?"
    silence is deafening

BOKE, MOSS and paulchua like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    @ttforcefed

Don't you know? I buy 3-4 Ferrari a month.
    ;)

BOKE likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lol

Shamile, BOKE and paulchua like this.
  5. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    New Ferraris don't count, Paul. Anybody can buy three or four new Ferraris a month. That dude was awesome. I miss him.

MOSS and paulchua like this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahaha, yeah - that was good.

BOKE likes this.
  7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Dang, I must have missed that one.:( There are those you can really have fun with and then there are the pests.

8. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Still curious, how many Ferraris has Boke personally owned. Any TRs? Are you buying one soon? I’m trying to figure out which camp you're coming from.

I own a TR, bought it 1.5 years ago for $96k. Very comparable to the ‘87 that just sold. I find price watching to be fun and entertaining. I dont know where the market is but I’d love to see it go up just for personal gratification and to justify throwing even more money at my car. Maybe in another year or two I wont care. That’s where my interest comes from.

I asked Boke what his ownership experience with TRs is and didn’t get a response. Like I said, Boke has a lot of posts but that alone doesn't merit respect. I only post in this forum, like many, and Boke just seemingly came out of the blue and started slinging insults.

So what is it? Are you an owner? A salesman? Or a guy who just sits on the forums and speculates because you're retired now? Regardless, I’m glad that you're being less offensive about it. I for one am just here to learn and would rather not deal with that bs.

ChipG likes this.
  9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    What I never understood .... and after 20 yrs of ownership ...still to this day.

The TR drives, and is much more livable than all Dino’s , Countash, and bbs ..... let’s not get into the TR is expensive to service nonesense , as the countash and bb have it’s own issues that can make baby Jesus cry. And the Dino, well, the average person can walk faster.

I would have never expected the TR to get the ass kicking it gets in price or anything else, but here we are. People still griping that the car is a 60k car. It’s so unfortunate that such a wonderful car that is easily recognized globally as the pinnacle in Ferrari style and exotica has been trashed to being the step child in the line up.

I blame people on this very board for the car so demise. If I was in the market for the TR today and has access to reading the stuff some post, I would run to not be associated with the crowd. Main reason why prices of this car have languished.

Shameful .... as the car all it’s variants is a great performer, the comfortable, and it all around works compared to the other cars I mentioned. Not a knock at the other cars I mentioned, just disappointed that the TR is not even close to being respected as the super car it really is .

Carry on

paulchua, BOKE, blkdiablo33 and 2 others like this.
  10. campbell360

campbell360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I may not be typical but he's my deal. I had a 360 for 10 years and sold it in 2016. I miss the F car mystique but have 'been there done that' for a modern (reasonably) Ferrari. My father had an 82 308 GTSi in the early 90s. So I decided to go old school this time. But really nice 328s are pushing $80k. For not much more (relatively) I can jump the the ultimate 80s super car? Sign me up. I've spent the last 2 weeks learning eveything I can. I'm pretty aware of every car for sale etc. My preference is non red or black. I'd love white and would consider anything else. I did contact Dr Kevin about his Bo Jackson TR and would have bought it because the condition and price were both amazing. But I missed it. My budget is $100k-ish (depends on the car/service history etc). Part of the fun is the research and search itself. The search continues for now. Thanks everyone for their contribution to my learning curve.

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    You won’t regret the TR if you can find a good car that’s not been whored. 20 yrs ago the TR was almost equally priced to 328s back the A’s well. Nothing on that front has changed. The key will be finding a good car for the money. People that I know that own them will not sell them for the current market price because they can’t replace the 12 cylinder car for that money. My recommendation is view as many as possible, and make sure you have some history linkage to the car. You may find one where a long time owner may have enough and want a change, and all you need to do is tires and a service .....as opposed to a mechanical sympathetic restoration. It’s a great car, and will bring you great joy .... just buy right ( I’m sure you know that already ). Good luck !

paulchua, BOKE, blkdiablo33 and 2 others like this.
  12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I agree with this sentiment 100%. Let alone a mid engined 12.

Shamile and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  13. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    its time will come :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. campbell360

campbell360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    That would be nice. I paid $105k for a 99 8k mile 360 in 2007. Put $15k in accessories (tubi, HRE wheels and CS TCU) plus 3 belt changes. Sold it for $75k in 2016. I'm well aware that this is not an investment but I think the TR isn't currently reflecting in it's price the 80s supercar Miami Vice lineage.

paulchua and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  15. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Tim,

I am a car and bike enthusiast for 45+ years. Cars and bikes are a hobby for me, not a business endeavor.

I have owned nine Ferraris over the years and still hold a 1998 355 GTS F1 and a 2004 575M F1. I skipped Testarossas the first time around and went from a 512BB straight to a Maranello because I needed Las Vegas worthy air conditioning. That turned out to be a dumb move on my part. I have been involved in the purchase or sale of dozens of vintage Ferraris and Porsches, Testarossas are among them. For the last 18 months, I have been looking for a late, low mile, easily sorted Testarossa for a friend's collection. I haven't found one that met his standards at any price.

Sorry if what I post offends you. I try to post facts, not opinions. Too many of the posts in this thread are conjecture based on an Internet listing with questionable pictures. I find it funny that so many potential buyers fixate on the stories, documentation, and mileage without actually checking out the cars for sale in person. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on these cars, but getting an educated assessment requires travel and careful examination of the actual car for sale on an individual basis. If the car checks out for you, a more thorough PPI from a shop that is knowledgeable in the particular car you are looking at is required. This is always the way to go to make an educated purchase. I can't guess prices at all.

I have seen the Ferrari market dump in the aftermath of the dotcom bust, and then again in the 07-09 recession. When the prices dropped in the past, the low-end cars sold cheap, and the better cars stayed off the market unless the owners needed to sell. The same thing is happening right now during "the greatest economy ever" for some reason. All Ferraris are soft right now. The same isn't true for Porsches and Lamborghinis of the same vintage at this point in time.

Testarossas are all over 29 years old now. Most have been neglected or repaired "good enough" to be resold. Deferred maintenance is the rule, not the exception as well. They require work from bumper to bumper to sort them out. Once sorted, Testarossas are a blast and currently the cheapest entry point for most into 12 cylinder Ferrari ownership.

All that said, I still can't believe nobody has snagged @Shamile 's 91. It is completely sorted and presents as a car with a fraction of miles that the odometer shows. I haven't seen many cars that have been maintained that carefully with such thorough documentation up for sale. Shamile keeps scoring at shows with it as well. The 88.5 car that just sold in the classifieds may have had a lot fewer miles on the clock, but it looked like it was ridden hard and put away wet to me. Why one car sells and another doesn't is a mystery of the Universe.

If you want more details than what I have provided, contact me via PM. I would be happy to talk to you to discuss things further.

Cheers,
    Marc

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Man, I really stepped on it on this thread, I thought @BOKE was generally positive about the cars future prospects?

This thread is truly confounding to me!

17. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    the Gooding white/white 88.5 TR just hammered sold at 92 grand pre- fees

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  18. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Two owner car until 2019 BTW

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said, and agree almost completely. I posted a link to a member that said these cars are worth no more then 60k. I called him out as a troll since he said this is not his opinion but fact.

I'm still having trouble finding a parallel call for so called 'bashers'

One person was honest to disclose they have no intention to buy and is just curious, fair position.

Still have not seen an outright crazy low call. I'm open to being corrected.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    ???? I am clueless where you are coming from in this thread, Paul. I am in the hope business. I hope all the older cars increase in value over the long term. The same goes for the owners enjoying the cars they have, as well as their future purchases.

This isn't about pumping or kicking values at all. As I have stated repeatedly, the market sets the prices.

MOSS and paulchua like this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1988-ferrari-testarossa/

For reference from Parnelli’s post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    That's what I thought and agreed about the market as I stated here and here.

So not sure why @xplodee is questioning your motives? I always thought you hope these cars will appreciate. Maybe I just need to go to thread 1 and read 157 pages of history, because something is still going over my head.

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You dodged a bullet. Nothing against Bo, I was a big fan but sports star cars are almost always trashed. They get big time stereo systems, usually poorly installed and because it was walking around money they get treated like rental cars, loaned to the entourage and tossed in a few years.

24. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Thats likely very true... but the car sold and i would think that to the average joe the fact that Bo Jackso's name was tied to it helped the sale...somewhat.

25. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Can I interest you in a nice used Ferrari or a Bentley from the Mike Tyson or Floyd Mayweather collection, Brian??? :D:D:D
    How about a clean Wayne Newton owned Lamborghini??? Las Vegas is full of "Star Cars" that I wouldn't touch with a 5-meter pole.

Good from far, but far from good doesn't only apply to old showgirls or strippers in my town.