mondial T low miles question | FerrariChat

mondial T low miles question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SirDewar, Jan 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    New to the forum! Own a 599 and always been a fan of the Mondial. The fact that some folks don't get it has always made me like it more. Every once in a while I consider finally purchasing one. There's a very low miles Mondial T for sale. It's a time capsule and I'd be insane to purchase it but...I'm foolish like that at times. So here's my question for the forum, miles under 1K on a 30 year old Mondial T with recent engine out service complete. Forget the price tag, am I crazy to want this car?

paulchua likes this.
  2. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
  3. John Hasty

John Hasty Rookie

Jul 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    John H. Hasty
    Of course, bought mine in July & have enjoyed every sunny day since. Having room for cooler etc for trips to mtn’s wineries etc is great

paulchua likes this.
  4. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Thanks, I know it's just this simple:)

5. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    That's a lovely picture, thanks!

paulchua likes this.
  6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Depends on WHY you want it. Are you looking at it as an investment or just to enjoy for the cool car that it is? If you're looking at it from an investment perspective, you're probably better off putting your money elsewhere. If you're looking at it to drive and enjoy and are comfortable with the price and what you're getting for it, then go for it! I have a 3.2 Coupe and love it.

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  7. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Definitely not an investment. I'm sure the car will never be worth more than I'd need to buy it for. I plan to drive it and add some miles as she looks like she's waited long enough to be driven. I'm prepped for the inevitable unexpected and for the engine out services. Just more concerned that with what's essentially a brand new car that's never been driven that it's sure to come apart at the seams. It's been great reading a bit more about the Mondial history and I think it's aged really well. Thanks for your reply!

8. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    There's no point to buy and pay a premium for a new-old car that will be driven. Save yourself thousands of dollars and buy a nice driver that's been maintained. There are some really nice, good as new cars with mid range miles.

They're all going to cost some some in repairs and headaches. The only justification for little to no mileage is for investment purposes and having been in the game for 6+ years, I don't see that happening with this model.

9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Why not, may as well loosen things up by driving, and fix whatever might pop up as an age related issue. The main problem with the time warps is leaking seals. Put on new tires, and off you go! As for price and collectibility, I think most current Mondial owners drive their cars. Collectors follow fads and pile into a small range of cars that are have some sort of often fabricated mythology around them. The Mondial was simply a great drive. Collectors don't care about that.

paulchua likes this.
  10. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Lots of great advice here. Really appreciate all the feedback can't disagree with any of it. Now I'll take some time and decide whether or not to pull the trigger. I'll keep you posted since I know you'll be up all night wondering what I decided. Thanks much, great forum.

paulchua likes this.
  11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Buying a time capsule, to me, serves one purpose... you might get to lay out on the lawns of the nicest places (i.e. Concours d'Elegance). Doesn't matter if you win or not, just think of the fun. :)

paulchua and SirDewar like this.
  12. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
    If you have the money for it. Do it. Importend is to check of the cooling water or oil is not dry out (hard particles). If not. Buy the car and give it directly a good service. Depence of the age, let replace all the oilseals, hoses, liquids and belts. Good check of the brakes. Good check of the hydraulic clutch parts. Start quit and nice with driving it, replace after a couple of 100 km the oil again and you have a new car. Thats my opinion.

paulchua, Wade and TAS37 like this.
  13. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Thanks JB, sound advice, much appreciated

paulchua likes this.
  14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Is that the one in Germany with like 350 km?

15. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    California, Canepa 538 miles

paulchua likes this.
  16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    paulchua likes this.
  17. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
    I look at the car on internet. Wow they have done the maintenance already. It is a new car. Cool.

paulchua likes this.
  18. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    If you want Mondial experience this is the way to do it. I'm sure it will fill like rolling off the showroom floor from new. Canepa has a great reputation for their cars and service from what I see. I've toured the shop a couple times. From experience I suggest swapping out the stock exhaust can to a sport exhaust. This will wake it up, improve the acceleration, save weight and prevent so much heat build up in the engine bay. Keep all original parts for Concourse judging. Fun driver F-cars. You'll get hooked.

paulchua likes this.
  19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Wow is right. Now I'm not so sure. The car appears to be too perfect to drive (same reason why I sold my 90 348 ts). However, it's perfect for the car shows or just as piece of art.

So yes, a time capsule with only 584 miles.

paulchua likes this.
  20. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Where are you located? Sunny Southwest? Steamy hot Southeast? Seasonable erratic Northeast? Opportunities for enjoyment can be dependent upon... the weather. ;)

paulchua likes this.
  21. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Thanks guys, I'm getting pretty excited now and feeling better with more of the service records that its well sorted out. I'm located in FL. Spend mostly winter months here still work in Chicago but spend 2 or 3 weeks each month from October to May. So lots of opportunity for Cabriolet weather. Not here in summer months so not too concerned about the heat. Look forward to driving and maybe an occasional green lawn or two. Hope to connect with some of you in person down the road. Thanks for all the feedback and kind hospitality on the board.

paulchua likes this.
  22. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    paulchua likes this.
  23. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Yes, I did find that previously it was helpful.

paulchua likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi SirDewar,

To me, it depends on your purpose. If you plan to 'baby it' and drive only a few miles a year - I see no better example. However, as others here pointed out if you do plan to drive it extensively, I think you're better served with one that's been 'shaken down' so to speak. I've driven mine now close to 30K in 6 years, and the smiles just keep on getting bigger.

;)

Best wishes to you!

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    well said Allen.