Testarossa Price Trends | Page 156 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Sorry if my comments bunch up your panties, Tim.

The single nut Testarossa has always been the bottom of the Testarossa secondary market. If you have followed Testarossa sales for any length of time, that would be apparent to you. High quality, later Testarossas get the best money consistently. Good cars get good money. Great cars get great money.

Bottom feeders buy the CHEAPEST cars on the market without any concern for condition or collectibility. No disrespect intended to anyone in this thread, just the facts.

2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    ok gotchya. Yeah I wouldn’t classify any of the regulars on this thread as bottom feeders. Most of us really really care about our cars with no expense spared.

Jay R, Shamile, BOKE and 1 other person like this.
  3. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Tim, you are not selling your car or buying one so why worry? Like I said earlier, this thread, in recent months/years is just a bunch
    of worried TR owners hoping they can talk the market back to what they paid for their car. Another thing, when one of the real TR owners
    makes a comment or has an avatar posted with their Lamborghini, Mclaren, or related exotic, I'm not going to start a new thread for 3
    posts to see a picture of it or have a very brief discussion about it. From the feedback I see, most like these commercial breaks in this sometimes boring thread when they pop up. The haters don't and frankly I couldn't care any less about who that applies too. I don't think you are one of those people to be honest. BOKE calls
    it like he sees it and that's all there is to it. He definitely has the background and ownership. Its all good man.

BOKE and Rifledriver like this.
  4. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    The fact that the earlier TR models are less advanced loses relevance as time goes on because all versions represent out-of-date technology at this point. Now subjectivity enjoys greater consideration, and some prefer the original designs over the evolved ones. Harry of Harry’s Garage has the coin to buy anything, and he chose the single lug TR because he prefers the look of it despite being inferior functionally.

I remember the advanced F1 transmission technology being all the rage when it was introduced in the 355, but who now would take one with it over a gated version, all things equal? The market spoke back then and people ordered more F1s but the market has since flipped back on those. Tastes change. Subjectivity drives the market as much as objectivity, as do many other factors not captured in these debates.

sixcarbs and paulchua like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    True to some extent but the fact of the matter is we have a lot of advocates of the early cars trying desperately to convince the world they are worth vastly greater sums and there is no factual basis for it. Each has its adherents but history shows a slight edge to the later cars.

BOKE, Shamile, xplodee and 2 others like this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I wouldn't be that quick to raise the alarm that the end is nigh. RM has a 10% Buyers Premium, so out of door price was $76K. Also, again, I see the car has no mention of a recent major, as I said previously, at the very minimum 86K assuming 100% of the vehicle in tip-top shape.

86K for a 30K mile for a TR with older wheel and passive restraints - sounds reasonable to me.

Jay R and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Interestingly enough, the week before this example a 1990 in similar color and more miles (also due for a major) went to a high bid of 100k: so 120k to start (10% buyers premium plus major)

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-395427/

Im still trying to wrap my head around the players on this thread. Assuming one camp says TRs are undervalued, another vice versa, and then a cohort that doesn't care?

Jay R and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  8. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    That particular car didn't sell, Paul. It was discussed a week ago here. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146983329/

There is nothing to figure out. The market sets the prices.

turbo-joe and Rifledriver like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    For those in the undervalued camp, obviously the sky is the limit, for those that say it is overvalued, I always find this question illuminating:

Please do answer and I think it can sooth a lot of misgivings about 'tire kicking' or griefing.

What are these cars 'fairly' priced then? Let's take the basic of the most basic to ease the hypothetical. A 35K 1985 model with recent service and no issues to be known.

I find often folks that are disengenious will not give a number. The reason is if the price does go down to that level, they still wouldn't buy it. Which is what truly seperates the men from the 'dreaming boys' simply pontificating as if price prognostication in of itself somehow denotes a Ferrari 'experience.'

Sad but I've seen it many times here.

Shamile and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yup I know, listed the high bid as an adjusted comp to counter the 80 k example. Unless the bid was retracted, somebody was willing to plunk down 120k for one the week prior.

11. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    does anybody else here remember that TV show Charlie sheen called ‘Anger Management’?

it was a great show :)

Natkingcolebasket69 and Jay R like this.
  12. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Cars that are "no sales" at auction don't count for anything as previously discussed in the post I attached. What if the $100K bid was just shills trying to break the reserve????

Conflating the discussion with cars that didn't sell, or those with asking prices all over the spread are a waste of time and bandwidth, IMHO.

paulchua likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You bring up a good point @BOKE, and I concede I didn't think about the shill aspect.

BOKE likes this.
  14. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    Lol @ Parnelli!

I do t have a horse in the race vis a vis overvalued or undervalued. I like to see what prices are doing, that’s all. Why not?

xplodee likes this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hmm, coming from a guy that said no Testarossa is worth more then 60K, and that is "FACT." ?

I remember this guy was making fun of a guy that bought a nice Testarossa in auction for 50K. I was surprised why he would bash a guy buying a Testarossa at a great price?

Then I realized he was one of 'those guys' i mentioned earlier.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    Shills are potentially active in sales that do conclude too so no sales must be included.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Nothing truer ever said and way too often in the discussion cars are not being properly evaluated for their worth based on equipment and condition.

The market is the market and I don't care because ours will not be sold before I am old and feeble. We just need honesty in the evaluations and there is some lack of that.

MOSS, paulchua and BOKE like this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Nothing wrong with that, a lot of folks come here to ask about values from a purely 'academic' point of view, with no intention of ever buying, even if the price drops.

This site does not have a limit test for membership, okay to join for folks that are just curious.

Sometimes for owners, it's helpful to know the 'why' behind the interest. I've found when members are clear that their interest in these cars is purely in hypothetical, it gives a specific context to the posts.

Are the other members in this thread that feel more downward pressure is on the way also approach it from a 'shooting the breeze' point of view? If not, do, please, answer my question about your considered price point if not.

Kind regards.

Jay R likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    From what I've seen cars that have bidders pull out have "still available" a few days post sale in the auction site.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #3895 paulchua, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    For better or worse, the Prancing Horse does engender outsized passions. As you can see: we get a lot of 'opinions' dressed up as 'fact' often.

Apologies on the mounting of the dead horse, but here it is again.

Camp 1 (owners): Edit: Either Biased upward (especially in an enthusiast forum) or indifferent.
    Camp 2 (serious prospective owners): Usually, the quietest from what I've seen - flies on the walls.
    Camp 3 (pontificates): No 'skin' in the game - yet strangely have an outsized interest in valuation. I often liken it to jilted lovers or stalkers.

After all, this is hardly an unbiased meeting ground; it is a Testarossa enthusiast board. Akin to said ex-boyfriend always around the apartment of his old girlfriend, that "he doesn't care about much, just want's to know what's going on...."

(you know kind of like folks that have no intention of ever buying one no matter the price, but "just want to know what's going on with prices...")

hahaha
    :)

Jay R likes this.
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You missed a well represented group. Owners who shrug and say it is what it is.

BOKE and paulchua like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    indeed. - fixed it above

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    as long as they don't make personal attacks, they, like that annoying 'know it all" you're sitting next to on the bus, that smells and keeps on wanting to strike up a conversation to tell you 'how the world really is' is allowed to carry on.

oh we all know the type.

I've found the easiest way to root out these folks is get them to answer a very easy question.

"What's your desired price point of entry?" Unless their buying price ludicrous, I've found time and again when a car does come up that is close to said price, they never pull the trigger....

Jay R likes this.
  24. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #3899 MOSS, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    We actually have 1 if not 2 on this thread maybe more and they have been identified but what can you do? The answer is not much it seems. Just laugh it off.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    nothing, other then what I suggest. It usually roots em out.

"What is the price point you're planning to jump in?"

I find this is akin to turning on the lights in a cockroach infested room. Quite illuminating (pun intended) on the true intentions are as @BOKE surmised - simply 'tire kickers.'

just be glad you're not a Ferrari salesmen. By buddy is one for 20+ years. The amount of 'fakers' and 'dreamers' are legion. I really don't know how he kept a smile, and still managed to greet every single person with enthusiasm.