Mondial T Fan speed | FerrariChat

Mondial T Fan speed

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Aceofspades, Jan 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Karting

Apr 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kevin K
    I'm not sure if the T is different than the rest, but I noticed when starting my car this week I lost all but top fan speed.

I used to most cars having a blower resistor pack with a thermal fuse.

But whats this deal here....

2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Just solved this on my 3.2 coupe. If the control is the same on the T, then you have a blown fuse on the speed control. On the 3.2, you have to take apart the center console, but it’s not too bad.

3. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Karting

Apr 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kevin K
    Ah fuse is on the board of the controller ?

4. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Sort of. It’s on the rheostat assembly itself.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It also has a transistor for a fan speed controller. When it fails you only have high speed. At the same time it will blow the fuse Michael spoke of. The high speed function bypasses the transistor circuit.

The transistor is on a bracket and mounted in the air duct for cooling. If I remember correctly removing the center dash air duct allows you to JUST reach it inside.

6. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Brian certainly explained it better than I did. :)

And if I could take apart the center console, anyone can. It was also a good chance to clean out all the accumulated dirt and such that falls between the cracks. Just be careful and take your time, especially with the plastic parts.

7. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Just to add the bracket is riveted in place. So you will have to drill it out, and fit some small nuts/bolts when you reinstall it. Also, the transistor is soldered in place. This is probably better for reliability than having a socket.

You can get the transistor for a few dollars. Just look up the numbers printed on it.

There's a whole bracket listed here, so you can see what it looks like:

https://www.ebay.com/p/593880657

8. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    If it’s just the fuse, you don’t need to do anything other than change the fuse. It’s a small 1A fuse IIRC, not something that you’ll find at an auto parts store, but any electronics store will have it.

Rifledriver likes this.
  9. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Karting

Apr 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kevin K
    It should be easy I just hate digging into things with out some info.... Can't be as fun as pulling the motor and resealing it was ;) also just trying to imagine where the fuse will be. This car was not used a lot but run so tiny things are starting to act up.......

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    On the side of the speed controller there is a small round, twist off cap. The fuse is inside. As Michael said you will need to take it to an electronics store. It isn't a common automotive fuse. You will also need a magnifier to read it. Buy 2. If the first one blows you need a transistor. Also available at the electronics store. Also you will need a VOM to test the fuse. The element is tiny.

11. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    13 is the heat sink/bracket with the transistor that fails.

13. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
  14. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    I have the same problem on my T.

AndruL, your controller is not the same on the T. On the T, it costs almost a grand and is totally different without fuse. I haven't seen any thread here taking it apart from its casing and repairing it, hope it is reliable!

I ordered a transistor (located at the right of the central air vent) and I look forward to replace it..!

15. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Karting

Apr 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kevin K