Differences between Mondial Fuseboard replacements? | FerrariChat

Differences between Mondial Fuseboard replacements?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Albert Penello, Jan 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    So far, I've found references to at least three different Mondial fuse box upgrade options.

1. One seems to be a refurbishment of the original fuseboard that requires you to send yours in.
    2. The other seems to be an entirely new board that uses wires instead of traces, requires some changing of the connectors (so it's a 1-way job), but does not require you to send in your original board.
    3. The last seems to be a combination of refurbishment of the original board + the addition of a new circuit. This also requires changing of the connectors and other wiring work, and also requires sending in your board for modification (so it's also a 1-way job)

All of them are expensive but I think I also listed them in order of cost :)

I'm sure each of these work and are good in their own right. I"m curious if people have a perspective on the pros/cons of these different options. I'm sort of leaning towards option 2 because I don't have to send in the old unit, it fits the factory housing, and still seems to be a big upgrade.

Thoughts?

2. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Albert,
    First welcome to Mondial world. I have an 85 also but coupe. What a wonderful car to drive, as long as it starts and the electrics work. I did go for the number 2 option of getting a brand new one made by Guido. The part itself is great, the job of fitting all the connectors is quite fiddly. My first mechanic nearly caused my car to burn up by his shoddy method. I posted some pictures and info on that.

The starter issue is another easy fix. When hot, there is occassionally not enough current to flow from the battery to the starter and you are dead in the water until it cools down. There is a relay kit you can get to allow your battery to power direct to the starter. It's like $25.

Best of luck and I know you will enjoy your Mondi.
    Gerald

3. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I went with SRI fuse box (mondial t). They found around 17 different failure points with the original and they addressed all of those problems with his new board.

moysiuan likes this.
  4. enzo52

enzo52 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Paris
    Full Name:
    Depensadie Seraphin
    Me to opted for Guido's board. Outstanding work and no fuseboard problems since 2013. As Gerald mentioned, the wire plugs have to be cut. When this is done on the right way (deep enough) like on the picture, installation works fine. And price is correct for this item.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I too went with option number 2. When you see how small and weak the connectors are in the original it’s amazing they lasted this long. The only draw back is the time spent bent over the car redoing the connectors.

6. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    I went with the SRI solution, and added the gold connector kit. Everything is working beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    In the past, I opted for the SRI solution and was very happy that I did.

From what I [vaguely] recall, they "take the high energy circuits off of the oem board and put those on a secondary board."

Here's my initial email update to Dave (at SRI) after I replaced my board:

Just an update on my Mondial; the fusebox went back in without a hitch. On initial startup, the engine jumped back to life, idled smoothly and throttle blips were effortless and without resistance/hesitation. I mean, the car ran great before but this is noticeably better. During full system checkout (no road testing yet due to weather); power windows work a bit faster (weren’t too bad to begin with) and the a/c blower seriously blows!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Note to those who desire 100% originality - The SRI upgrade may incur some points loss from the Judges at a concours. ;)

However, if you want improved driveability and reliability then you can't go wrong with the SRI fusebox upgrade.

gsfent likes this.
  9. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    aleib likes this.
  10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    You were able to get the original plastic cover back on? I tried putting mine back on but it was so tight because the wires were really pressing hard against it. So I left it off.

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    In my experience with Mondial ownership (6 years each - 1982 Mondial 8 and a 1988 3.2 Coupe), reinstalling the plastic fuse box cover was the only negative, and a real pain as well.

12. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    I’d like to know how to get that sucker back on as well!

13. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  14. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    SRI installed their fix in my '83 Cab; the heat load wires go through a separate, heat managing board - thus getting those higher temp circuit connections out of the main fuse box. Logical I think. Zero problems in 3 years. The original factory fuse box had several melted connectors - and I suspect additional melting inside the FOLDED printed circuit board inside that old, original fuse box. Several things worked again after the surgery.

Picture this - if I have only one radiator fan and an old fuse box - and the engine temperature gauge is telling me the engine is beginning to overheat - the overheating may occur because of melted and melting radiator fan connectors and possibly delamination and melting inside the fuse box. If I could look at the fan continuously I would probably notice the fan is only working intermittently. Other important circuits may only be working intermittently too.

By replacing the fuse box and having SRI install their heat handling method - no issues.

[As an aside - it is my belief that two radiator cooling fans are imperative. There is ample room for the second radiator fan and the pigtail for it was already sticking out of the existing wiring harness!]

15. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I also went for option 2 (Guido's board) for 3 of my own personal cars. Although the installation takes a couple of hours work, these are definitely much more reliable than the originals. Next to that: better suited for higher currents like for the fuel pump and easier to customise if needed and it fits within the original black plastic box with plastic transparent cover.

16. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    I went with option 1) sent my board in.

Came back looking no different but weighed a bit more... the new PCB is beefy! No need to modify the connectors.

It was costly but comes with great support after the sale.

17. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    I'm kind of surprised no one makes a modified clear plastic cover with an extra 1/4" or 1/2" of clearance for wires and cooling? Seems like almost an easy no-fuss make.

18. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yea we made stuff out of clear plastic in wood shop in high school. Couldn’t be too hard.

19. enzo52

enzo52 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Paris
    Full Name:
    Depensadie Seraphin
    I hear solution 2 Guido is banned for a month because he acted against a F chat rule. He mentioned in a public thread his board.

20. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That seems a bit extreme, it’s a great board with great customer support, and looks stock to most everyone.
    One of my better Ferrari repair investments.

21. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock

I won’t mention any names, but I think one of our Mondial brothers made a stink and turned us in..........

While I didn’t get banned, I was warned about “marketing” my replacement parts in the Mondial section.
    I get it, FChat needs to make money, it’s a buisness after all.

I do think this is a bit extreme, speaking for myself.... I’m not in the buisness of making and selling parts to make a profit, hell, I lost my shirt on the B -Pillars for a while. I have a full time job. I do this to try to help other Mondial owners solve common problems while trying to cover my costs plus a small amount to cover my time.

I do see others who clearly are in the buisness of breaking cars, as an example, marketing their parts on the board and think it is appropriate to send them to the For Sale area.

The problem is distinguishing between the weekend warrior and the businesses, so the rule must apply to all. As I do recognize the buisness needs of the Chat, I chose to purchase Gold in the past and will continue to do so in support of the organization.

If anyone needs something, there are enough older threads that display my contact information and I am here to help.

- Ron

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

gsfent likes this.
  22. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I was banned about 8 months ago because I told someone I was able to help him with a part he was looking for in one of these threads. This didn't really bother me. Personally, I'm only on F-chat once a week for a couple of minutes. Banning is done 'à la tête du client' and no explanation is given because they think they're God. Makes me remind of the days of the Stasi in Eastern Germany :)
    Anyhow, Facebook is the place to be nowadays.

Clnilsen likes this.
  23. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    Is there a good FB mondial group?

24. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    I follow

25. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    There are a couple good ones, just search for Ferrari Mondial on FB and you'll find them.