Mondial T clutch replacement. | FerrariChat

Mondial T clutch replacement.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MMT, Jan 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MMT

MMT Karting

Apr 3, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hello All
    My Mondial T valeo clutch , due for clutch replacement (worn and minor internal oil leak) my mechanic recommended to replace all with Ferrari genuine parts, I'm open for any good suggestion but not sacrificing quality .
    list below
    Dual mass clutch AU $3480.00
    seals x3
    Thrust bearing
    O ring
    Machine fly wheel
    Labour 8hrs

Thank you all in advance.
    Michael

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    According the the parts book it looks like the Valeo uses the same thrust bearing as the regular Mondial t. If so, why not use the Hill Engineering upgrade? For the price of an OEM thrust bearing you can have the complete Hill Kit (includes bearing and its supporting flange).

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/mondial-group/mondial-t/clutch-and-controls/155226-bearing-thrust.html
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/mondial-group/mondial-t/clutch-and-controls/144984-flange.html

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/crb348-355-kit-release-bearing-kit.html

3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    When you say "valeo", do you mean that yours is a Valeo Mondial? In other words, it has no clutch pedal? Or are you just saying that the clutch pack was/is made by Valeo (and you need to use the clutch pedal while shifting).

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    the 348 I just bought has a slipping clutch. 1st of 5 ferraris I've had that I'll have to deal with a clutch. Anyway, as I do some research I've run across the Hill Engineering upgrade option but I'm wrestling with the "if it isn't broken dont fix it" vs "while I'm in there why not upgrade" dilemma. I have nto driven the car very far but I don't feel or hear any grumbling from the TO bearing, crunching or anything else. As such I'm wondering when most people do a clutch service/replacement on 348/Mondial T/355 do they change the release bearing as normal procedure or leave it if it's not showing signs of an issue?

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    On my previous 348 (90 ts), the thrust bearing blew out just as I was pulling into the driveway (after several hours of driving) and I was able to coast into the garage. Very lucky for me otherwise I could have ended up on the side of the road somewhere. I repaired the car using the Hill Kit.

With that in mind, the oem TBs are known to fail. On the other hand, there are many that haven't. :)

My current 348 (92 tb) had its TB replaced with a oem piece during the last major (just before I bought the car). I plan to "run till failure" but will do the Hill upgrade when that time comes.

6. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    The OEM TOB is rebuildable if not cracked. Still I replaced ours with a hill to avoid potential trouble.The triple seals were leaking and the clutch disc was soaked with gear oil. It wasn’t slipping but there were some pretty good burn marks on the flywheel. I bought a new disc and pressure plate from Ricambi but couldn’t find anyone who would resurface the flywheel so we just hit it with a sanding disc and put it back in. No chatter. Also re-greased the dual mass dampener mechanism. Ours is not a valeo or a twin disc so relatively simple.

7. MMT

MMT Karting

Apr 3, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi all , it's a valeo system gear box (no clutch pedal), we remove the clutch, fly wheel has hot spots, dual clutch Plate, visually looks fine, but when he measured thickness at different spots , also to replace the lay shaft seal due to minor oil leak. and re grease the dual mass.
    so my question, 8 hrs labour is that way over board or a fair price.
    Michael

8. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    The TOB on the valeo is different I believe...8 hours seems excessive, but it's a Valeo and you're in Austraila...so I'm sure there's not too many options.

I'm this this info is in the work manual I sent you. Make sure the parameters are set correctly.