Tire and Wheel Protection Insurance | FerrariChat

Tire and Wheel Protection Insurance

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rocketman, Feb 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    So my new 2017 488 finally arrived yesterday. Of course now is the time to get hit with the "protection menu" from the dealership.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the value of Tire and Wheel Protection. I know the tires and rims are not cheap but neither is the insurance.
    Also, I am sure the policy itself has some fine print (which I have not read ) that may make it less valuable than initially meets the eye.

2 years = $2995.00

4 years = $3995.00

Please chime in with your thoughts on whether it is worth buying.

Note: I live in the NY suburbs and use the car solely for fair weather weekend driving.

2. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    Read the fine print then read it again. Fine out who the underwriter is and research it which shouldn't be too hard and look for reviews. -John

3. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Scott,
    When I looked at one of these policies for my wife's daily driver X5, it excluded the "curbing" of a wheel. Only covered a truly damaged wheel - i.e. bent rim. Also, only if the tire "blew" or the sidewall damaged to the point of no repair possible, was the warranty applicable.
    I have had 12 years of multiple Ferraris and never had a curbed wheel or damage to a rim. And in over several hundred thousand miles of driving over the last 40, I think I have only bent one rim hitting a pot hole at speed on a highway. So I never considered it for my Ferrari and DEFINITELY passed on BMW for reasons above. Wear and tear rarely involves catastrophic loss.
    Additionally, depending on which wheel you have, I see 458 wheels going up for sale all the time where a set of 4 is what 1 new wheel originally cost. So, with any luck you can buy a wheel if necessary for chump change down the road.
    My only reason to even tell you to consider the warranty is where you live. I live in the south but grew up in metro NJ just outside Manhattan. Pot holes that could be on the moon certainly existed there. So, if your roads are absolutely horrible and you have bent a rim before then I would say, "maybe."

Otherwise, I wouldn't think twice about passing unless fine print gives you more benefits than I think are there.

Lastly, remember, as you know, insurance policies are always in the underwriters' best interest. The dealer AND underwriter are getting a profit.

Best,
    Randy

4. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Randy,
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I haven't read the fine print yet but I am sure there are exclusions such as curbing. I only drive the car after our roads have been repaired. Most experts shun any kind of extended warranties etc so looks like everyone is in agreement to pass on it.
    Thanks and be welll.

5. phatteus

phatteus Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I've had a bent rim (giant pothole on the LIE 495) and it was repaired for I think about $500. Miller Motorcars sent it out. I also picked up a spare front rim on eBay at some point to cure some curb rash to one of mine for under $1k (prob could have tried to repair it too but I had heard the diamond finish was hard and the spare rim was so cheap I just went that direction). I also picked up a second full set of the same rims with winter tires on for $5500 here on these boards, so I'm currently sitting at 9 diamond finish rims for about double the cost of your insurance quotes.

6. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    This. Exactly. Barring an enormous amount of bad luck you're better off holding that money and dealing with whatever comes up.

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Don't do it !

A tyre costs a fraction and one rim is easy bought for half of one years price ...

And never ever happened to me these last 10 F years ...

8. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Sounds like it's fairly unanimous to pass on it.

9. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    I replaced two tires live in Baltimore, pot holes everywhere.

10. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I've found new aftermarket wheels online for as cheap as $2k per set of 4. Buy a set to use, keep the OEM wheels for when you sell. If you bend one, $500 replaces it.

11. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The only coverage that may be worth it would be Ferrari CPO, else walk away...