Testarossa Price Trends | Page 153 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I agree with you 100 percent. If you are going to nickel and dime everything, the price of the car, the maintenance cost, then this car is not for you. But most of us know that the older cars like this have a cost of ownership to them. But don’t nickel and dime it to death. For me, this car has a great history behind it which is special and unique. It’s associated with all of the excess, drug dealers and celebrities who were able to buy these cars in the 80s and 90s. I love that time period and what these cars represented. I wish I could go back to that time. But if we keep these cars around it will always be with us. And of course I love the styling, looks, and driving them. But this car has everything that I could want out of a car of this era. Forget about the mouse belts, that is so lame to complain about that. I love them. This is what the car had back then- I want to experience all of what that car was. Don’t take anything away from it. If you choke to death on the mouse belts you probably shouldn’t have bought the car. They have not once been a problem for me. I say, save the Tr, 512s, don’t let them go extinct because they just may without true enthusiast to try and save every one of them. They are truly special cars.

JPMD, Parnelli, Shamile and 2 others like this.
  2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Uh huh....

You go, Eva. ;) :)

3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    My two daughters (6 and 3) love the mouse belts!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shamile, Natkingcolebasket69 and Zeff like this.
  4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    #3804 BOKE, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Uh huh. FIFY

msdesignltd and sherrillt like this.
  5. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    A little quiet, maybe I should post some Helicopter pics for some excitement during this nice intermission.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    We need a thread where people ONLY post cars with SNs that come up for sale. List all available information (date/cost/pics/miles/contact details etc) but without commentary. Then, if somebody has commentary, they can open a new thread with the SN in the title.

As we glance back at the thread over time, the price trends will easily be deduced. New buyers will have the single best source for buying a Testarossa readily at hand.

What a great market evaluation and buying tool!

The thread will ONLY have value if it is a concise record. Short and sweet. Car after car after car.... not 50 pages of personal opinion which strays off topic (like this commentary ;) ).

BOKE likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I'm actually quite surprised at the contentiousness of this thread. The price differential doesn't seem too wide from the bulls and bears.

8. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Vince, are you stating that posting screenshots off of a mobile phone and then belittling the car for sale isn't a concise record and valuable information???:rolleyes::D

I second the emotion for starting a new thread for each sale car that hits the market. That will easily document the sale of each car from start to finish. Placing the VIN in the thread title will make each car easily searchable and the sales trackable. Cars that don't sell at auction will be easy to follow when they return to the market as well.

This thread started out titled "Testarossa Prices Crashing" or something like that, and some parties ran with that premise when they started posting, late to the game. Very little pertinent information is presented in this thread regarding actual pricing at all. When I asked one of the screenshot posters to put his info gleaned from the Internet and phone apps into an easily readable spreadsheet, he failed to respond.

MOSS likes this.
  9. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    There are no "bulls and bears." The market sets the price. The seller can ask whatever they choose, and actual buyers that are in the market make offers until a sales price is agreed on.

Supply and demand are major factors. More cars for sale then actual buyers create a "buyers market," which we are currently experienced for average and below-average quality 1984-1991 Testarossas.

Human nature. Pride of ownership. Prices too low to justify selling your car. I will only pay $XXXXXXX. You get the idea.

long
    short
    buy
    sell
    hold

ask>bid=no sale

This thread should be closed and new sales threads for individual cars with the VIN in the title coming to market should be started as Vince suggested should be used going forward, IMHO.

10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Agree, so the thread would be purpose driven exclusively for quick reference to specific cars sold as Boke stated. The subject in recent months (years) is not even related to the Original thread discussing the tanking prices of the TR.

BOKE likes this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just for the sake of arguing - I'm not sure the multiplication of threads would be so convenient or useful...
    So far this thread did not seem too bad, unlike others where people blatantly come with an agenda to advocate an opinion (or personal interests) rather than providing facts reports.

12. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    +512

MOSS likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed the market is.

Bulls and Bears reference was from (at least my take) personal motivations (akin to an options forum)

I don't personally see the gulf as broad in terms of low/high end of comparable models. One guy says 90K, another says 110K, okay let's say 100K then. That's the point I'm getting at.

Now in terms of what the future holds, I guess that's where the war of opinions truly dwell.

Shamile likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I guess I'm just used to far more radical differentials from real trolls. The differences I've been seeing on this thread of ~20% seems within 'good faith' honest opinion. As @BOKE said, the market is.

15. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    The only valid opinions come from those that are actually "in the market" that are willing to actually buy cars, not belittle cars up for sale.

Crap comments like the following add nothing and just throw shade.

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #3817 paulchua, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    I mean, this is precisely my point, though.

@Natkingcolebasket69 posted a TR from BAT here - and says it will sell for no more than 75K

it sold for 77K

I don't see anything crazy.

@ChipG said 60K, which happens to be precisely the ~20% differential I mentioned earlier that I said was within reason and 'good faith' - no matter how much one disagrees with it.

I admit I don't know what goes on in the deep heart of @Natkingcolebasket69 & @ChipG - do their estimates reflect a desire to 'tank values?' I would say why stop at 60K then? Say they will eventually be worth zero.

60K or 75K? I really don't quip at such small differentials. If anything, I'll just split the difference in my own personal mind. 68K then. :)

Parnelli likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I mean here's another way to look at it.

77K doesn't include the 5% BAT premium - so that comes out to 80K and some change. The last service was 5 years ago. So that's at least another 10K just to start.

$90,000 for a 50,000 mile TR that had a full paint respray (who knows what else it needs) - what precipitated the need to do a full paint job? My 30+year-old paint from Maranello still looks excellent!

I would say well done to the seller! If you own a TR that's probably much better shape then this example, rest easy friends.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  18. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky

Whatever, Paul. The posts I quoted are just noise that amounts to nothing in the big picture of what is actually going on in the market. No good cars move through BaT, for the most part, good cars sell through other means, and aren't publicly known.

IMHO, this thread should provide price, condition, mileage, asking price, pictures, contact info, and any first-person knowledge of the actual car for sale. That should be followed up by what the car actually sold for all in, or if it didn't sell at all. All the rest of the crap comments are simply useless noise prophecy and prognostication.

The same holds true with the self-proclaimed "Testarossa Experts" that incessantly post crap in the classifieds.

Here is a good example. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146988515/ Start there.

Let the tire kickers and trolls have this thread. Very few of the cars being posted are anything but the bottom of the barrel anyway. Enjoy.

MOSS likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well, the post you listed as a 'tire kicker" and troll example is legitimate.

The first post said 1989

So I don't know what more you want to do other than kick out anybody who has an opinion (whether it be true or false?) We would have to kick off more than half this site's members.

Parnelli likes this.
  20. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Right, the original subject of this thread died and was buried many years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Kind of beating a dead horse on this topic, guys :)

I envy the amount of 'free time' that some forum members here seem to have

22. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Well, that is an example of a seller that doesn't know about the car they are selling, or they are misrepresenting said car. Either way bad form.
    The seller of the Testarossa also has exceded how many car sales ads that are included in a Silver Subscription.

"Annual Ad limit: the number of ads an individual subscribed user is allowed to list in a calendar year is determined by their subscription class.
    • Silver Subscribed = 1 car ad and 5 parts/items ads in the individual classified sections"

It took me one Google search to come up with the VIN of that car and post a picture of the ID plate and VIN decoding info.

I don't think anybody needs to be tossed, they just need to post pertinent info on sales cars or STFU. Unless someone has seen a car themselves, or knows of its history, not too much else matters.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I hear you, my friend. As I said, I'm used to trolling to be something like this:

"TRs???!! what a joke, gonna be worthless once Tesla dominates YO!"

I mean a person posits that a 50k mile resprayed TR that needs major service will go no more than 80K, and that's considered bashing?

Sorry, but I just have to disagree.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    yeah, fair to say that the OP posted a wrong year. In fact, I think many people did just that. However, to equate the guy that made a statement based on what was quoted 1989 as a tire kicker troll is wrong in my opinion.