Is BAT the Go-To place for buying a Dino? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is BAT the Go-To place for buying a Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Dec 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stuartlarman

stuartlarman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2009
    Tucson az
    Full Name:
    stuart larman
    375+ and synchro like this.
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Keep us posted - it will be interesting to hear of your experience.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    Sellers that have their act together do very well on Bat...

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'd rec'd a professional detail, pics and video. copies of everything

selling for high dollar is a job

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dino looks promising! I totally agree with the above statement! The more history and detail you show, the better. A great driving video (exterior and interior if possible), starting from cold, going through the gears in a spirited motion. I’m sure you have some great roads around. Best of luck!!

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    BaT will send a photographer to you and you pay through BaT. It's not expensive and the pictures (in may case) were very good.

7. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
  8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Neelfryer likes this.
  9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #35 4CamGT, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    I think $320K is a healthy number for this example. Compares well to the $308K for the Barrett-Jackson example. Neither showed any books and tools and both looked to be presentable drivers and not 100 point cars. Any other examples from Scottsdale to compare to?

This example was at Bonhams showing sold at $280K (don’t know if that includes auction fees). https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25718/lot/68/

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #36 4CamGT, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    This example at RM shows sold at $340,500 (Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee). Is Ferrari Classische Certified. Mentions also that it includes books and tools.
    https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az20/arizona/lots/r0043-1972-ferrari-dino-246-gts-by-scaglietti/835960

Here’s a couple of recent high water mark examples at BaT at $380K and $400K to compare:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ferrari-dino-6/
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ferrari-dino-4/

11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    What I appreciate about BaT, because it’s done on a public forum over days and weeks with commentary and valuable information it allows a buyer to do some due diligence and to do an educated purchase.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Another Dino listed on FerrariChat first then moved to BAT.
    This is a very nice showing!
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ferrari-dino-12/

I sold a Dino on FerrariChat in 2015 and this was the go-to place to buy from long term owners. Now sellers list here and move it to BAT to sell. I just don't get it.
    BTW, the BAT URL shows this is the Twelfth dino from year 1972 they are selling (PS- that says nothing about other years, they just index them that way).

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Great presentation on BAT, Stuart. Best of luck!

15. stuartlarman

stuartlarman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2009
    Tucson az
    Full Name:
    stuart larman
    I've had my silver gts on Fchat for several months and had only one interested party.
    I've had my silver gts on BaT for a few days and have had 18,000 visits with 1200 watchers, a bid of $150k, and one party just came to my house to check out the car. Fchat is cheap advertising and I don't regret posting there but BaT is getting better results.
    BTW- I went back and forth with BaT for 2 weeks before they posted my ad; they took a real interest in pushing me to get better/ different photos and the text correct; not like putting something on ebay motors. yes, they do get a commission but so far they have exceeded my expectations.
    stuart in tucson

16. stuartlarman

stuartlarman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2009
    Tucson az
    Full Name:
    stuart larman
    Well, it appears that trying to sell my dino on BaT during a Wall st. financial meltdown and a pandemic virus outbreak did not go well.
    I listed my silver gts (03620) with BaT and the auction ended a few days ago with a high bid of $255k. I'm glad I had a reserve of $340k on the car.
    No way to tell how high the bidding would have gone without the calamities....I contacted the high bidder but we are too far apart.
    BaT did a great job and I would highly recommend them. Now is a great time to buy; poor time to sell.
    stuart in tucson

375+ and Texas Forever like this.
  17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what are the data points the market on your car is $340k?

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I’d imagine same as on any other car or anything else people are attempting to sell, what he wants for that particular car, i.e. asking price.
    The other, more precise and actually the only data point that matters, will be established by what he actually gets for it, i.e. selling price.
    Anything else is just rhetorical, i.e. nonsense.

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I forgot include another applicable, though less significant, data point to this, i.e. what someone else is willing to offer/pay for that particular car.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's the weird gotcha about auctions too, the "market" price is only one increment higher than the 2nd highest bidder. sometimes that can put the price way above your expectations and other times if it is way less, then a classified or brokered transaction would have been better.

TTR likes this.
  21. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Haven't seen the listing but $340k is pretty high for a Dino these past few months at auction. Most seem to be hitting mid to high $200k range in what I've taken notice of.

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    This is one of many reasons why I have always advised clients and friends to stay clear from auctions, especially as a bidder/buyer looking for makes and models readily available, unless they or someone they fully trust knows the example lot intimately.
    Too many moving parts, unknowns and shenanigans can come to play at once. Doesn’t appear very intelligent way to buy used cars, or many other pre-owned things.
    I admittedly have bid few times on eBay by entering my maximum and that’s it. Some I’ve “won”(?), some not, but never have I second guessed the outcome nor attempted to buy anything of significant value.
    But then again, I’ve never really understood the appeal of gambling either.

23. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    If you look over the results on BaT, a mid $200,000 finish would be among the low results for a Dino. Those that appeared to need work or weren't presented well. A recent result put a Dino at about $310K and wasn't as attractive as Stewart's Silver car - IMHO. When I saw Stewart's car, (not knowing who owned it), my guess was that it would finish over $330K. I would have to agree that the current state of the world probably negatively affected the outcome.

rob lay and Texas Forever like this.
  24. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Bad time to try to sell an expensive car...more likely prudent to keep a tight grip on those rolls of toilet paper!

Texas Forever and synchro like this.