430 - F1 transmission problem | FerrariChat

430 F1 transmission problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by efg2014, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi,
    Decided to take the f-care for a ride Sunday. I couldn't get the car past 2nd as the icon for trunk latch was lit. So I basically drove around my neighborhood at 20mph for about 15 min and came home. I opened and closed the trunk to no avail. My mechanic had said spray a little WD-40 and that didn't work either. On a previous ride I was in 6th gear and the icon lit up. I changed the gear down to 5th and realized it wouldn't let me go back in 6th. Eventually the icon turned off and things were dandy. This problem started appearing after I brought the car back from Service in late July.

Any ideas and or suggestions?

2. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Theres a tiny little button that is depressed with a tab in the closed position. The tab might need some bending to readjust. The tab in question "\" centered in the picture. You can mod and make adjustment as needed because its a little bit of work to get to, maybe 5-10mins total. This solved my own issue with the car not shifting at all from start up. Picture courtesy of Ricambi - America. Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Thank you much, I will try that and report back. It may take a few days.

4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Are u sure it was the trunk icon?

5. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    LOL...it sounds like the F1 warning light. The warning symbol looks like a truck hatch

RANDY6005 likes this.
  6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yea,,i know thats why i asked

7. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Looked at the manual and LorenzoR you are correct. I had the clutch done a year ago. Thanks I will contact the shop.

8. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yea sorry to say but u have a clutch or clutch related problem

9. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    LrenzoR, I just had the clutch replaced last year. Just talked with the shop and they are pretty sure it is the speed sensor issue. Let's hope....

10. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I had sames issue would not go past 2 second gear. It was the F1 sensor was bad easy fix

11. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Ok, how to I change the title to properly reflect the issue? I don't think anyone having F1 issues would be search on a trunk latch :)

12. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Click on "report" at the bottom on the left hand side of your post #12, It will open a dialogue box and you can let the moderators know you would like to change the title.

13. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Well i hope its an easy fix for ya

14. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Done!

Red 27 likes this.
  15. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    The problem has been fixed. The error code stated a problem with the speed sensor, which was replace. The problem re-appeared. It required getting to the F1 actuator and replace the 2 electronic parts, whose name I forget. I have circled them and they are attached to the F1 actuator. They are suppose to send the engine/computer(forget which one) the signal that the gear change has happened. Since this part was mal-functioning the signal wasn't being sent thus limiting the car two 1st and 2nd.

Attached Files:

imahorse and Apollo 11 like this.
  16. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    potentiometers

imahorse and m5shiv like this.
  17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I believe they’re Hall effect sensors actually. They generate a voltage based on their position.

But yes, they basically allow the car to sense which gear is engaged at any given time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. frankgoodson

frankgoodson Rookie

Dec 25, 2008
    I had to replace my potentiometer too. Mine would pop into N.

19. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    The big question is what is the longevity of electronics in these cars? I have a 1956 190SL and don't worry about any thing with it. My 91 300ZX TT had the ECU blow a capacitor and it was painful finding a replacement. And now I had this issue with the F430. The capacitors, resisters and other chips do degrade over time question is how long? :-(