Just bought a Mondial QV on BaT (and have Questions!) | FerrariChat

Just bought a Mondial QV on BaT (and have Questions!)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Albert Penello, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    So I'm the winner of this action (1984 QV Cabriolet)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-ferrari-mondial-4/

I know the car needs some TLC but it appears to be a good car for a DIY'er like myself and also be a driver that I don't have to worry about devaluing a garage queen. I know my way around Porsche's and Mercedes of this era (in addition to domestic cars) so I'm excited to dive in and play around.

In the immediate term while I take delivery of the car, I do have some questions.

1. Wheels and Tires. The current TRX tires have low miles but are very old and in need of replacement. The wheels themselves also need some refinishing. I'm inclined to actually replace the wheels which take a modern tire which will probably be inline with the cost of new tires + refinishing. So... what do I do? I would like a period correct wheel and I seem to recall that someone sold a 16" factory-style wheel. Do those still exist? What's the best path for a replacement wheel that fits and performs correctly.

3. Tops and Latches. As seen in the pictures, the top needs replacement. Where can I get the best fitting top? Also, it's mentioned that the latch was "tweaked" (which I take to mean broken). Are replacement latches available and any idea what goes wrong here?

2. Restoration stickers. Not super important, but many of the factory stickers (catalyst, paint code, etc.) seem to be coming off and I think new stickers freshens thing up. Does anyone do a concour sticker set for these cars?

Any other advice on things I should be thinking about?

Drewbdo and paulchua like this.
  2. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Hey Albert.

Welcome to the club and congrats on purchasing the car! It sounds like you're the perfect person for the job. If you can find your way around a Porsche or Mercedes of this era, you shouldn't have any problems with a Mondial. The biggest weakpoint on the cars is the fusebox as I'm sure you're already aware. The one primary challenge that I had transitioning from working on 911s to the Mondial is the lack of descriptive, almost step-by-step directions that are usually in the Porsche service manuals. The Mondial manual hasn't been nearly as intuitive for me.

As for wheels, here are the options from Superformance - http://www.superformance.co.uk/mondial/wheels.html .

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the top info as I have a Coupe.

Superformance and Ricambi are two great sources for stickers and other Mondial parts. There are quite a few others as well.

As for other suggestions, just do a baseline service on the car, add new tires, and start making a list of the items that need to be repaired and prioritize those on need as you drive it. Just the usual stuff. These really are fun cars. They're not fast, but they have a great sound and loads of personality.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

2cam

3. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Awesome a PM was sent. This is actually one of the things I'm most nervous about in case for some reason the actual frame is tweaked. Where I live, a full-time cabrio is a no-go.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you fit the after market wheels you can get a few different tyres, where as if you stick with originals then you only have the TRX and these are getting harder to source. You can also fit the big brake kit as the original brakes can be a little wanting.
    Re the roof latches, some one on here gets these bits made i recall
    The big thing with these cars is the fuse box failing, but made by a member to order
    If you get stuck for wiring diagrams, i have a set

Albert Penello likes this.
  5. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Thanks! Already reached out for new tires and have been investigating the fuse box upgrade.

I'll almost certainly be able to use any documents you have, PM me the best way to get in touch. Thanks!

6. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Well it looks like Karma is on my side. The wheels were still available and I secured them. Also, turns out the car is an 85 not an 84 as was listed in the auction.

7. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
  8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The original convertible tops were only supplied by Ferrari as a complete frame and top fabric all assembled and to be replaced as an entire unit, the price was ridiculous. Inevitably an aftermarket fabric only top became available, but the fit will be as good as the installer makes it more than which brand you use.

Reoriginals is a longstanding supplier for vintage and classic Ferrari's...http://reoriginals.com/soft-topexquisiteremanufactureinitalyoriginal-u0087.aspx

Lower prices with different options are here...https://www.topsonline.com/model/Convertible_Tops_And_Accessories/Ferrari/1984_thru_1994_Ferrari_Mondial.html

There are a couple of threads about the installation of a top, it looks like a fairly difficult project.

With the age of your car, the front weatherstrip along the windshield header may well have lost its ability to form a tight seal and may be a leaker. People then overtighten the roof latches which are adjustable, and end up breaking a latch. So you should probably budget for a new weatherstrip if you going through the cost and effort of replacing the top itself.

9. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Thank you SO much! Super helpful. The shop I use for tops and upholstery are very high quality and deal with high-end cars, but I will give them these leads for sure.

I'm *hopeful* the only problem is the broken latches due to user error (seems there is a bit of a trick to do it right) so getting a set of upgraded latches is my first step to see if I can use what I have. But in the budget for the car was always a new top so these are great leads.

(and wow that header weatherstripping is PRICEY! Yeesh!)

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  11. Mick5961

Mick5961 Rookie

May 21, 2019
    Hi Albert,
    Congratulations on winning the Mondial - looks excellent - I like the colour! Check the B pillars on the roof frame - they are a weak spot on the cabs and chunks break away - also check the toggels on the roof catch too. There is a current thread on excellent B pillar replacements designed & made by FChatter Ron.
    Cheers
    Mick ;)