How will history judge and value the F12 vs. 812 super fast? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

How will history judge and value the F12 vs. 812 super fast?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by roma1280, Aug 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Thank you. It’s “Blu Simond”, originally used by FChat’s Traveller on his F12 tdf. There are deficated threads on both his tdf and the 812 with lots of pics.

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think thats the 812. I find it much more lively and sporting to drive.

Thecadster and Bundy like this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think you mean dedicated :)

Eilig and Bundy like this.
  4. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    It’s my time for reading glasses, Jerry!

of2worlds, Eilig and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I also think what happened to some of Traveller's threads is worthy of your description.

6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    SO TRUE.

of2worlds, Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so if we extrapolate what was global production of f12 without the tdfs?

8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It's possible to extrapolate the total production number of F12s Berlinetta using for this purpose the total number of cars sold in Europe. According to Carsalesbase. which is a reliable source, the final total number of new F12s sold in Europe was 2107 units. The number for the US isn't known from any reliable source but my guess is that it must be close to the European and just slightly lower. Also based on the assumption that Europe and the US together represent approximately 80% of the F12s global market is assumed that the remaining 20% represent the rest of the world. My extrapolated final number for the total production of F12s Berlinetta is approximately 5000 cars.

Bundy likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There is an oversupply of hp in today’s market.

10. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Mario is that for all F12 or berlinetta? Also, Ferrari typically puts Europe in the EMEA market which I think includes Middle East and Africa. Typically USA gets about 30% of production.

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jerry the 2017 units are all the F12s Berlinetta sold in Europe. This number is taken from Carsalesbase statistics and they consider Europe the following countries:

Car sales statistics are from the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland. Sources: Manufacturers, ANDC, JATO Dynamics.

of2worlds, Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The SF90 just unveiled what could be the future trend of a Ferrari super GT car. We have to start preparing ourselves for this radical change in paradigm that is already underway. The successor of the 812 could very well be a car that is all-wheel drive even if it isn’t all of the time. Like the SF90 it could have a front axle that disconnects above 210 Km/h leaving the car rear-wheels drive on their own. But there is more, an hybrid new super GT could also be capable of driving 100 per cent in electric mode. This hypothetic new “monster” could easily reach 1000cv through the NA V12 engine that keeps the present sonority, plus three electric motors being the first an F1-derived MGUK (Motor Generator Unit Kinetic) located between the engine and the gearbox, while a further two motors work on the front axle. We talking of something that could reach an acceleration of the 2,6 sec 0-100 Km/hour.

Are many of us prepared for such radical change that is making the existing Ferrari super GTs already look something of the past ? Personally I’m not and I don’t know if I ever will be but one can never say never.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Was standing next to a beautifully specced 812 yesterday...triggers super high desire factor. Simply an awesome car and one of the best cars Ferrari has ever produced, and maybe the last for the big frontend V12's...time will tell. Its definitely on my list as one of the most desirable cars for future ownership. They are simply still to expensive. I drove one on a rainy slalom course in the fall and it is just so impressive. You can't go wrong with 812. Have not heard one single owner who didn't like it.

F12...just bought into one. Beautiful, timeless fast...'affordable', same dna as 812, Just stunning car that will age gracelously.

To summarise...I like them both! And would love to have them in the garage next to eachother in 10 years from now - they make a stunning pair to own and they are both among the best cars Ferrari has ever produced. I don't think there will be a massive difference between both cars in value in 20 years from now...it is just a matter of what styling you prefer and I can see interest for either side.

My few cents.

14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Great post. Very thoughtfully crafted. Totally agree.

15. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    From what I can tell Mario, they have said things like the hybrid and V12 don't make much sense together because of weight. Its really difficult to guess what comes after the 812 except it doesn't look like it will be another evolutionary step. It most likely will be quite different.

As I see it, the SF90 is the new production range flagship, which is the first time since the early 70s that a mid engine is the production range flagship. Whats more, the flagship is no longer the V12- for which Ferrari is really well associated (though their V8s are also top top top engines). And for the first time, they are keeping the front engine former flagship V12 in the lineup- at least for another few years. We will just have to look back after some time and see how this all fits together.

16. F12POZZI

F12POZZI Rookie

Jan 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark Vaghei
    500drvr likes this.
  17. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    Nitpicking...: Mid engined flagship until mid 90s, though (Testarossa/512)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    yes but to get even more nitpicky, the (production) flagship back then remained V12. Now its dropping 4 cylinders. For the first time in my memory we are seeing a distinctive break between cylinder count, power output, and thus, the associated prestige.

CETH, Bundy, MDEL and 1 other person like this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Flat 12 TR ... :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

500drvr, Bundy, MDEL and 2 others like this.
  20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Right you are sir! Its not even a boxer as many think! Sorry I'm (sometimes) geometrically challenged! :)

Bundy, of2worlds and MDEL like this.