458 sometimes won't go into Park, can't remove key | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 sometimes won't go into Park, can't remove key

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by italiafan, Jul 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beefcake2001

Beefcake2001 Karting

Dec 5, 2013
    Seems to be more common than I thought. I will inform the dealer when the car goes in on 6th September.
    Thanks for everyone's input.

2. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    This happened to me today.... and it had happened one other time. And I turn the key and off until it clears itself... mine is a 2015 458 spider and I have a buddy that has the same issue with a 2014 Italia. Almost makes me feel like the battery is dead or something... and then it goes away... wierd....

3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    #28 Graz, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    I think I might have your answer. When you turn the key off be careful that you don’t hit the door lock button on the key fob at the same time. If you do that the car will sense that you’ve locked the system and not allow you to take the key out. You’ll also get a message on the screen that says your car is still in gear. There is a small button on the column in front of the key that you can push to allow removal of the key. You can then reinsert the key and all will correct itself. So be careful not to touch the lock/unlock buttons on the fob while turning the key off. Problem solved.

jem890 likes this.
  4. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    That sounds like it just may be the issue. I may have done that accidentally not knowing that I did it. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

WATSON and Graz like this.
  5. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have had 3 458s and this always happens it seems to say car wash mode and I couldn't remove the key so I jiggled the key a bit and it came out, it happens to all of them I think it's some kind of mode that makes no sense, I don't think there is anything wrong with it

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Same exact thing happens to me also and it always says car wash mode. Happens sometimes. I jiggled the key a little and it pops out no problem, but I kinda get the feeling in my stomach one day it won't come out and I'll be away from home. I'll try that button next to the key and see if that releases the key every time.

Better yet, I'm going to wash my car and maybe no more car wash mode will appear and the key will release. LOL

Enjoy driving guys!

Mikes90ef8 likes this.
  7. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    Yeah, well, it was pretty embarrassing for me the other day when I went to go pick up my daughter from school.... the traffic control guy had me park it in the Principal's parking spot to wait for her (which was pretty cool of him)... I opened up the frunk to put her backpack in there and then proceeded get into the car to start her up and then this happened while everyone was staring. A little jiggle like you guys did and it went away. Oh well, not going to worry about it if other 458 owners are having the same issue which makes it a non issue.

WATSON likes this.
  8. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The car wash mode allows the car to be pushed through a car wash.

Normally, leave the car in gear when you turn off the key. This automatically sets the parking brake and allows the key to be removed

Found this info out on an old thread

9. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    ^This. I got doing it in the 458.

10. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    Thanks PTG, I think you are right.... just tried it and that is in fact what it is!

WATSON likes this.
  11. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Read the above threads still can not remove key.
    Car indicates it is in park.

if key is left in ignition in off position will it drain the battery?

thanks

12. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Might be steering lock, try to turn the key and jiggle the steering wheel at the same time then turn off and remove

13. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    There is a little button on the bottom of the column.... press it and try to remove the key.... that should work.

14. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Tried push button jiggle wheel no luck.

if does not drain battery will not full with it.

will stay in ignition. Use other key to lock until next service due

15. FERRARICALI11

FERRARICALI11 Rookie

Feb 25, 2024
    Full Name:
    joseph
    this works. thankyou.