BMW guys on FerrariChat? | Page 73 | FerrariChat

BMW guys on FerrariChat?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by DriveAfterDark, May 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

if it were the real deal my guess would be that it would be worth 100-200k. But it clearly is not the real car.

2. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Anyone here has any new modern BMW M?
    I think I am on my last M car. BMW now is not the BMW M I remember.

Everything has an M now in a BMW. Before, it means something special.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Pawn Stars agrees with you ;)

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The rims aren't even the same based on the photo in the video at 2:39.

Headliner in police photos is gray fabric (2:29 video) vs black alcantara in ad (link).

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I'll give them a pass on the rims. The originals were bent/destroyed badly and they were Boyd Coddington rims. The ones on the car now are not Boyds, but close enough as a few other companies make similar style. I doubt you could find a set of original Boyds.

Another problem wrong with the car is the real one had a custom sound system in the trunk. 13 seconds in this video. The one for sale has a regular 750iL trunk. So that along with the wrong headliner. This video has photos of the car before and after the shooting with other angles of the interior headliner/pillars with gray fabric.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  6. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#1806 Bradwilliams, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    I took a close up of one of the wheels. The brand was called intro. As far as the suede headliner and sound system, these were probably updates by an enthusiast owner within the past 5 years and the sound system could have been pulled from the car (if it were the car). I put black suede in my car which had the same grey headliner that this car had. The headliners are notorious for sagging eventually and alot of enthusiast owners go suede when it happens. Judging from the carfax, this appears to simply be a well looked after 750 that was bought from the lease by the original owner, well maintained with no stories. Probably a 5-7 thousand dollar car. I cant see anybody frequently using a car like this had they known the history and value. The story told by this dealer falls flat on its face given the documented history of the car, and the documentation they claim to have is flimsy at best.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    ^Thanks for confirming the wheels. Looks like the Intro Imperial wheels: https://introwheels.com/product/imperial/

I couldn't read that center cap name on their photos and thought they were Colorado Custom Valdez Superior Series or Billet Specialties GS47s.

I can see what you mean about the headliner and rear sound system if it was the real E38. It seems like way too much work if it was the real deal to reverse on top of replacing all the door cards and other interior parts. I bet the real car was scraped not long after the police investigation ended.

8. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Nice. 318is is one of the better E30s. Enjoy it!

19633500GT likes this.
  9. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I think I would rather come in a classic bmw meet than a regular bmw meet.

The last great m-power engine for me is the e60 v-10. I loved that car and upto this day, i regret trading it to a 991 GT3.

The negatives from that car comes from people who buy used cars but cant afford to fix a german v-10. Someday, i hope a mint one comes along and I have an extra garage space.

The steering on that e60 is better than an e39 m5 or f10 m5.

10. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo

11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    They do call it the baby M3, with good reason

12. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    just saw this thread, I guess then I fall into the "old-geezer" M owner. I still have my first M car (89 E30 M3) and still have an M5 (00 E39 M5 Dinan S2). At various times 91 E34 M5, 95 E36 M3, 08 E92 M3, never had the pleasure of owning an E24 M6, my loss I guess.
    the last M car I had (15 F80 M3) left me cold only kept it a year. I agree that with each passing gen, the performance metric has def. been dialed up, but for me they have lost something tactile about the car. way too much techno for my taste.
    my new toy is an Alfa QV, which is a boatload of fun

tantumaude and Bradwilliams like this.
  13. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I agree. I am most likely at the end of the road with BMW after just one 2001 E38. The only two other cars I would consider would be an m roadster or E39 M5 but will probably never do it. Not interested in dealing with the frequent headaches. I'm now on month three of trying to eliminate a DSC light. First it was the abs pump which didn't get diagnosed until the dsc module was ruled out as not faulty, and now I have a faulty steering angle sensor which has disabled my traction control. It never ends. This is probably going to be my last BMW. One was enough LOL.

There was a time when I was in my late teens to twenties when I was enamored with M3s and S4 Audis, etc. but I never bought one and I don't think I ever will. They're awesome cars that I respect but I just think that they're cars for boy racer 20 somethings.

bart12 likes this.
  14. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    That is an amazing stable. Imola Red E39! Ah how I miss mine some days...

Bradwilliams and bart12 like this.
  15. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    GuyIncognito likes this.
  16. GSF355

GSF355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2013
    Brisbane
    I just discovered this thread... This is a pic of my M3 - 2001, factory manual, fully optioned. A few small (reversible) modifications, plus rear floor/subframe mounting points reinforced.

Excuse the low res of the pic.

17. ///criss

///criss Rookie

Jan 1, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Cristopher
  18. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    It's been a while since I checked back on this thread and have somehow acquired my 2nd BMW earlier this summer. It's a 2011 135i 6spd in Sedona Red over Beige. I picked up for a song! I have modified it too and this brings my third turbo inline six into the garage.

I found and purchased a full M-sport black interior with manual seats and when I say full, I mean everything from moonroof shade, to carpets, and every bit of black trim to replace the beige when the weather starts to warm up!

The wheels are M235 stock ones that are more pleasing than the silver factory 135i wheels.

TestShoot likes this.
  19. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Heard they can give e46 M3 performance

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
  21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    It's quick, light, and the twin scroll turbo has minimal lag which helps with being in altitude where the earlier M cars get winded. It is just a tenth or two behind an E46 M3 on a track but has a more compliant ride and usable powerband. They are also less expensive and the stock 6spd is short and weighted lightly.

For $11.5K for a 6spd and lower mileage two owner car in the color I wanted, I hit the jackpot. Also no unsightly iDrive!

I've added these mods to give it some kick.

Wedge Performance MHD tune
    VRSF Chargepipe
    VRSF Downpipe (catless)
    VRSF Turbo inlet
    VRSF 7.5" stepped race intercooler

And commuting to and from the mountains to Denver, 29mpg. Definitely ticks all the right summer commute boxes.

Il Cavalieri likes this.
  22. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I almost forgot, 6 piston front brakes standard! Very handy.

23. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    That'll do :)

24. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've been a long time BMW enthusiast (on and off), and I agree that BMW is definitely producing some disappointing stuff lately.

For what its worth, as I posted earlier... I purchased a BMW M3CS last year. It is a truly fantastic automobile... very capable but also a bit unhinged--- sort of like a CLK Black series in that regard. Completely addictive. Some will argue it was overpriced, but putting that aside and focusing strictly on the finished product... Its an amazing car.

Unfortunately, it I also think it is a lightening in a bottle kind of thing... tons of small changes that in the aggregate created something really amazing out of a car that had its challenges and detractors.

I suspect BMW, kind of just stumbled on this recipe and will just as soon forget it... like the E36 steering feel and chassis balance or the E46 fluidity. As evident by my recent drive of the new three series, its clear BMW still doesn't know exactly what its doing.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  25. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    What I still cant understand, why make an m3 only a sedan then make an m4.

The last modern bmw is the e90 and e60.