Subie WRX | FerrariChat

Subie WRX

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by boxerman, Jan 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Anybody here have experience with these cars. Is there a simple off the shelf tube that ameliorates the turbo lag and has the throttle work more or less I. Conjunction with the motor.

what are the basic need to do with these cars.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Which year? I haven't paid attention to them in a while but Cobb tuning used to be the hot modifier

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The best improvement will be found in switching the fuel and running it on ethanol. The extra exhaust pressure quickens the turbo spool, runs cleaner from the extra oxygen molecule starting a cleaning effect on the combustion chambers. You will need Cobb plus a set of injectors and a fuel pump to make this swap.

02-07 are the most popular years to acquire and modify. The turbos are really small and spool quickly. Depending on age and miles, it might be due for a turbo refresh which will help. Personally, I had a 2014 STi for a while but I sold it and replaced it with a BMW.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    looking at a 2020 as winter driver and general car that’s not too boring.

other choice was civic type R but that’s a little bit eye catchy for the po po and fwd.

veloster n gets good write ups too.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Whenever I am looking for a daily driver the WRX always is at the top of my list. On paper it is the perfect car. Entertaining to drive, stick, decent price, AWD, etc..

Everytime I am convinced that is the answer, till I drive them. They feel so cheap compared to pretty much every other car. They feel 10 years old, even when they are brand new. I was looking at them again last summer, bought a CPO A4 instead. It would be a fun car for just running around town, but the fuel economy sucks, the turbo lag is obnoxious and even the clutch/shifting feels terrible. I wouldn't want to be in one for more than 30 min.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Golf R?

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  7. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

I absolutely love my '18 Golf R. Mine is the DSG as I sit in Southern California traffic fairly often. The short gear ratios and lightning shifts make it feel like a rally car. Great car and guaranteed to feel about twice as expensive as the Subaru in terms of refinement and build quality (as much as I love Subaru for the rally heritage etc.).

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Those have the 2.0L FA20 motor and not the 2.5L EJ27. You will notice that displacement in the turbo spool but they produce the same peak power and fuel economy. The aftermarket for the 2.5L EJ27 of 2015 and under model years is enormous. But as mentioned, it does feel cheap. Seating position is like a truck. It turns a corner quick and does great in the winter but it's very bland to drive as a daily.

I replaced my 2014 STi with a 2008 535xi for winter driving. The STi was $32K, the 535xi was $12K with 56K miles and original owner with service records. I don't regret the switch, not for an instant. I've invested in a little engine work into the 535xi and it has more power, better economy, and luxury in spades over the STi.

36 miles of my total commute to Denver each day is mountain road where you think the STi would be the clear choice but it's really not.

boxerman likes this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    time for me to look on bat then.
    I also just competed a 3 k mile road trip and a car that works there too is a consideration

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I have an 18 base wrx and have been very happy with it, I live at a ski resort so we get a lot of snow so with good tires I have never gotten stuck it goes through everything. Performance wise the handling is excellent but the acceleration isn't as linear as it could be but I have been told that minor tuning will wake the car up but I am keeping mine stock. I think for the price of a new base model, I got mine for 26,200, it's a great value. Another thing is I had a 17 wrx before this one and I got rearended by a women doing 50 while I was at a dead stop and I was very impressed by how the car took the energy of the hit.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Had a 92 5.0 Mustang. I was shopping around for a possible replacement. Looked at the WRX. Great power and AWD but in all honesty the 92 Mustang was a nicer car.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think Im settling on a Gulia sport Ti with AWD. One of the few moderns , and so far only modern sedans Ive driven that felt great and was fun.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Abarth's used are dirt cheap, and surprisingly reliable. On paper compared to some other similar cars it might not score as high.
    But I guarantee it will put a smile on your face.

14. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I had a launch edition '15 STI which I upgraded with a COBB stage 2 tune. One of the most fun and amazing sounding cars I ever owned and one of my favorite DDs. The interior is super dated but who cares.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I ended up going for the Alfa. Ti Sport. 280hp leather sport seats awd etc.
    lease came to barely more than the Subaru WRX with cloth and really uncomfortable seats.
    Car drives really nice, suspension is sorted in a way the Subaru is not and it “felt” quicker, although no stick. $500 takes the car to 320 hp. Kinda hard to beat for the price.

16. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    You will have to let us know how the realibility is of the Alfa. I haven't really heard anything good or bad in regards to owning a current generation alfa.

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    A friend of mine has a Gulia. It spends A LOT of time at the dealer. Still she loves it though.