Engine Install - shift shaft | FerrariChat

Engine Install - shift shaft

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Jan 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    FINALLY getting the engine installed. Slow and old....

This is the first time I am doing the install with the air pump already attached to the engine. I expect air pump to shift shaft interference as the engine slips into place.

The manual says to release the shift shaft’s turnbuckle and “push the rod in its hole in the chassis”.

Presumably, they mean to slide the rearmost section of rod (item 43) along side the main rod (item 22) such that both rods are inside of the chassis hole. This pulls the rearmost section of rod way forward, and out of the way.

Problem: my chassis has “rubber bellows” (item 39) immediately inside the chassis hole which prevents the rear rod section from sliding forward into the chassis. This limits the insertion and it seems like the gained clearance is inadequate.

I must be missing something????

How do you get this rod (item 43) out of the way?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Did you mean 29?

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Item 29 is attached to the engine. This is where our shift shaft seal routinely drips.

Item 39 sits just inside the chassis tunnel, immediately forward of the adjusting turnbuckle. It is hidden from view, but you can reach it and feel it with your finger... The diagram is not to scale as far as the rod length is concerned.

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Remove the rear portion of the shaft completely from the forward section..at the turn buckle. It will come right out and not be an issue any more.

Shamile likes this.
  6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    So then... after the engine is back in the car, the shift shaft (item 43) can snake its way back into position, through the frame from below??

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yup. I do it all the time. No problem at all..

Shamile likes this.
  8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003