LCD Display Flicker 599 | FerrariChat

LCD Display Flicker 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by terp01, Aug 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. terp01

terp01 Rookie

Apr 24, 2008
    Baltimore & AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff P
    I just got my pre owned 599 and noticed while the car is idling that the lcd display flickers. Is this normal? My sales guy says that all the 599's do this. Is this true? Thanks for the responses!

2. mksgr

mksgr Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Germany
    Same with my car. The display does flicker from time to time.

3. Rudy599

Rudy599 Rookie

May 4, 2018
    Dubai - UAE
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Same with my car. The display flickers a lot. And very recently it's been turning on and off for extended periods of time while driving... Like there is a poor contact or something... I live where the weather is hell. >40 degrees C and crazy humidity, but this is the first time it shuts off for that long... Very annoying

4. Kemp Stickney

Kemp Stickney Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Kemp Stickney
    Had same problem on my 612. Mechanic cleaned ground wire connection and problem resolved.

5. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Kemp, is it possible to know where the ground connection is that was repaired? Thanks,Mike

6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Rudy599

Rudy599 Rookie

May 4, 2018
    Dubai - UAE
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Problem is gone after a couple of long drives... Display flickers all the time, but does not go out anymore. God bless this car, it auto-repairs itself sometimes!!

FERR430dxb likes this.
  8. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    I am afraid it is the beginning of the end. It flickers few times, comes back and one day, stops for good. It happened to me last month. Under repair now. George Vosburgh wrote link above in the States. I will give you cheap address in Europe ( when it is fixed)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Rudy599

Rudy599 Rookie

May 4, 2018
    Dubai - UAE
    Full Name:
    Roger
    I agree - but right now I am still in the denial phase... next will come anger i think then depression...

10. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Depression with a 599, cannot happen :rolleyes:

FERR430dxb, Rudy599 and 599_GTO like this.
  11. Paul D

Paul D Rookie

Apr 16, 2018
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Paul Alexander

Hi Mike, did you get this issue fixed? Mine has started doing the same thing and am being told I need a replacement lcd - Just not sure it’s being diagnosed correctly. Thanks, Paul.

12. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Paul, I have not yet addressed the issue but it seems like the fix is to have the unit refurbished.Franchorchamps of America seem to be the go to guys. Some have used a shop in the UK but by the time you ship and insure I wonder if you save much.FoA website indicates this is a common fix. Looks like it is easy to remove and replace.Will probably send mine out as Spring gets closer. Mike PS who did the diagnosis?

13. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It would be great if those who have had the display fixed chime in. USA or UK ? Cost? Shipping etc.? Did you get a diagnosis or a full refurbish? Any thoughts? Mike

SonomaRik likes this.
  14. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Full refurbish for me last month as it was definitety out. I did it in Holland for a small percentage of what dealers are asking for.

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My display will occasionally dim than go back bright. Personally, I am going to use it until it fails (if it fails); Then I will get it fixed. Before that you are trying to fix a non-problem.

16. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I agree, same for me. You can see what was burnt here.

17. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Hi Zaza,
    Which Dutch company fixed it? And for what price?
    Thanks in advance for the answers!

18. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great pic Zaza ! Thanks,Mike

19. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Is that a little surface mount cap that blew out? Hard to tell.

20. Paul D

Paul D Rookie

Apr 16, 2018
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Paul Alexander
    Hi Mike, I live in Dubai and took it to ARMotors who are pretty good, reliable and decent rep. They are quoting around $1250 to replace the lcd but as with most things here, it needs to be shipped out and back. Just not sure if this is a reasonable price, or just to put up with it until it gives up the ghost!?

21. Paul D

Paul D Rookie

Apr 16, 2018
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Paul Alexander
    Hi Zaza, what did you pay if you don’t mind me asking? Just trying to get a sense check on what I have been quoted. Cheers. Paul.

22. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    VASTEC in a small town called Susteren near Maastricht. I can give you full détails if you cant'find. To be honest original quote was 1500 €, I finished at 2600 € as there were more components damaged as expected including lightning. It is true that my tft was also very dim. Anyway compared to the 8/9000 € quote by official dealers, no discussion. And for the price, they dismantle the tft, recalibrate and reinstalled. Originally I wanted to Buy the whole part with Eurospares in UK but I will never do the job myself, unable to !

23. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Yes it was, enough to blow out the whole thing.

24. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    I just posted the reply but i am not sure we are talking about same issue. What do you mean by lcd ? Is your whole screen down ? or just lights ?

25. Paul D

Paul D Rookie

Apr 16, 2018
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Paul Alexander
    It’s the whole lcd screen display that flickers and then goes dark, before coming back on again.