365 BB Chassis 17553 Nut and Bolt Restoration | Page 9 | FerrariChat

365 BB Chassis 17553 Nut and Bolt Restoration

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by cnpapa24, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Nope and I spoke with Matteo at re-originals in the summer and he was supposed to get back to me. I gave up on him after a few unreturned calls.

2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thank you!

How we love them so :)

3. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    It’s different to a 308 and in fact any other model, I’ve been chasing that cloth for a good few years.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Any updates?

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Took much needed time off from the 21st of Dec to Today. I ran some errands during that time such as picked up the plating.

I forgot to take pics of the black oxide parts, Ill do that tomorrow and post them up.

Body is in prep stage now with metal work completed. Timing is pretty good because Ill have the suspension and other items ready for the body to arrive and get it on its wheels right away.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    pshoejberg likes this.
  8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Here's a 79 512 shield with a much more generous inlet than the 365 version. Black is correct for 79.

76-78 BB512 had the shield below but painted robin egg blue like the 365 ones above.

Oddly my 81 400i has robin egg blue shields which are original no question but on the boxers 78 was the last year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login .

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The black parts that are plated are coated in oil so they're much darker and shiny which they wont be when I wash off the oil.

Left and right hand threaded nuts are identified by colour which is why one is black and the other yellow zinc.

Dust ring is painted black from the factory. Ones that I can't find paint on I have them plated assuming they were natural.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I don't want to have you share too much ..but what does something like cost ... Ballpark would be fine .. just trying to understand the world of restoration

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Excellent Paul!

13. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Great thread!

Newman likes this.
  14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Very expensive and every car is different, I haven't done two that were remotely the same in their needs and as parts dry up and ever since the car's values went way up the parts prices quickly followed.

When I restored an 84 BBi I was quoted $5K for a new OEM rad yet 5 years earlier it was $1K. I ended up having one made for $1K and you can't tell it from OEM . Another cost example, you could buy a Mondial QV for less than the seats will cost to have made from scratch.

cnpapa24 likes this.
  15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    More sub-assemblies finished.

Wiper motor just needed a cleaning and paint the motor housing so I could wrap it in plastic never to be seen again. White hardshell connector will be replaced with new.

Arms back together. Note the last pic showing a better depiction of what the actual plating colour is. Depending on the angle they look like brass, sometimes correct and other times like Mr T's necklace.

Heater cores will be going in their steel boxes soon, callipers will be going back together, bearings in front hubs and spline drives will go on. Pics to follow.

The plan is to have it on its wheel not long after it arrives from paint.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rovexienus and cnpapa24 like this.
  16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    A little off topic but here's a prototype 512 emblem made out of brass which will be available very soon with the correct finishes. This one will reside on my desk or on my tool box. I can't take credit for it, a friend of mine made it happen.

Availability and unrealistic asking prices for NOS ones was the driving force behind reproducing them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    And those cloth seats in some ways define the very existence of this GT4 BB! Almost as great an attraction as the Shroud of Turin...

cnpapa24 likes this.
  18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Absolutely essential to the car. My friend Nick in the UK can't be thanked enough for lending his seats for the cause so we could have the frames and seat backs reproduced from original examples complete with sac material remains.

I would've preferred if he just sold me his. I tried, he wouldn't give in.

365boxer and of2worlds like this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Amazing generosity there for the restoration "cause" by Nick! With that seat material on hand there may be other owners who can benefit to? The standard of work as usual seems to be off the chart with an almost mind numbing attention to detail!

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Charles,

Yes others will benefit for sure, its a win all around really. One less item that's NLA for these cars.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  22. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    Fascinating thread. Can't wait to see the finished product. Really impressive. I did not know you could still find the 6-tip exhaust system, but to me it's always been one of the coolest features of the original Boxer.

Newman likes this.
  23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Wire harness restoration.

The center section under the console was cut open for a repair then wrapped in electrical tape. I found some burned wires which Ill repair then everything downstream (right to the tail lights) has to be uncovered then threaded through the new center sheathing then as the harness divides into subsections along down the line I slide on new smaller and smaller sheathing until we're down to 1 or 2 wires. Then replace the terminals and hardshell connectors.

The window switch plugs were replaced and extended, Ive since disconnected the extensions and returned the switch wiring to original.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  24. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I’ve been chasing the sack material for years for my 17535, I knew I would have to have it replicated at some point. When Paul started on this superb 17553 project it was just the perfect time to get the seats “under way”. Always easier when there’s two of you fighting the battle
    of authenticity ! I’m visiting the trim shop next week, I’ll get some pictures if at all possible
    Nick

of2worlds likes this.
  25. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks for your help on this, Nick!