Not another shift shaft thread .. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Not another shift shaft thread ..

Discussion in '308/328' started by conan, Nov 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    The seals are in place (both U cups facing rear), shift shaft linkage adjusted and secured and center console with seats bolted down. I realize the leather needs some major care soon, but anyhow good to clean it and add leather cream to the seams. This completes the shift shaft work.

The remaining task is to find out why 1st gear seams to be worn out and is currently grinding at engagement, if the car is moving. At standstill, it is no problem to engage 1st gear.

I was confident the baulk ring or something in the synchro sleeve arrangement was in error, and when measuring the clearance between gear and baulk ring, it is below limits. This means the baulk ring cannot synchronize the gear speed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The reason for premature wear on 1st gear could be that the synchro fork and the selector fork was not aligned properly during the gearbox service som 20 yrs ago. When engaging 2nd (or 3rd) gear, the 1st/RM synchro sleeve was never centered on the hub, but instead left the 1st gear baulk ring rubbing against the 1st gear.

I may have to change both gear and baulk ring, but I will have to check this with gearbox disassembled. An hour work (engine in of course ).

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Typically the gear is worn more than the syncro ring so it will probably need a gear. As far as how it got that way I doubt it was an adjustment issue. 1st gear is heavier so takes more work to stop the gear in the same way brakes work harder to stop a heavy car. It is always 1st or 2nd that wears out first depending on driving style. Your car had a long term driver who down shifted to 1st a lot and didn't double clutch. Oil can also be a contributing factor. A huge percentage of the people out there think all gear oils are created equal and that they only need to be changed every 15 or 30,000 or more miles. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Portofino and waymar like this.
  3. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Great info and we will have to see when I can take on such a project, but I can always make preparations and buy some tools necessary to complete the job.

I can also mention that I had to align the synchro sleeve and the selector fork to let the detent ball be in neutral position (middle) when the sleeve and fork were also in neutral. I am not sure how this could be missed at the last gearbox work?

4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
  5. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Thanks! I will take a closer look on your engine rebuild thread, looks really interesting and extensive :)