1000 Pound Club | FerrariChat

1000 Pound Club

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GTHill, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    For those that don't know, this is a culmination of three lifts.

Bench, deadlift and squat.

I think I'm going to make it a goal to hit it by my 45th birthday which is July of this year. From the research I've read it looks like it's not a massive accomplishment for those that weight train but it's pretty good for a "regular" person. I"m not trying to do anything incredible. I just think it would be a cool number to hit.

I'm going to build a squat rack for safety b/c I'll be working out alone much of the time.

I'll post my max starting lifts soon. Here are my estimates based on some lifting I did about a year ago.

Squat: 325
    Deadlift: 325
    Bench: 215

So that would be 865 as a starting point. Not too far off if my estimates are correct. Still a fair bit of work to do.

Anyone make it to 1000? Anyone else want to have it as a goal?

GT

paulchua likes this.
  2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I'll pick up a few thousand pounds later today with my CAT mtl to support/encourage your ambitions :D

3. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Thanks! I want one of those. I have a big dozer and excavator. Who knows why I want to put myself through it.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

OMG. I'd be lucky to lift 100# total. My upper body looks like a grammar school kid at the swimming pool. My quads however... epic. :)

5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I hire people to do that. I'm saving my bones and ligaments for later.

c8spidey and alum04org like this.
  6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I do 630, 630, and 430 and I'm 62, but those are just Bowflex rods, and some of them are twenty years old and much softer than new. :)

But hey, I've earned those softer rods through hundreds of thousands of reps over those twenty years. :D

Good luck and have fun!

7. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I vote for turning this into a post your equipment pictures thread. Lol. Just curious what you guys have the equipment for? I do excavation and landscaping.
    Also fwiw, most are saying to scrap the deadlifts these days and stick to squats and cleans and kettlebells. Guys that know their stuff say this, not those random google click bait articles.

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

When I competed as a powerlifter I would go over 1000 every Saturday. Now in my 60s I'm at 580 - 600 weekly but the idea now is to stay in shape, not set the world on fire! I love to lift and have been doing it since my 20s.

GuyIncognito and G. Pepper like this.
  9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    is this one rep max?

I'm at 635 for reps right now. interesting challenge.

edit: if you use those (rather dubious) 1RM calculators I'm at 900 now. but I never do 1RMs.

10. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    True story: when I was a senior in high-school I was in the 650 club; squatted 450 and benched 200. Got my name on a board and a t-shirt!

Those days however are LONG behind me.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The thing for me is squats lol.
    I get 240 squats, 300 deadlift,280 bench press so 920 but squats I don’t have as much will
    To train them so
    I’m kinda stuck at those numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Old thread, I know...but sounds like you are likely fairly tall or high waisted, like me. The 60lb difference between squat and deadlift tells me that.

Biomechanically speaking, squats just feel wrong to me and it is incredibly difficult for me to do them, even with good form, without injuring my back. So, I stick to single leg squats, step ups, etc. that don't place as much direct stress on the lower back. You can also get away with less compressive load on the spine and end up getting more benefits, physical and neurological, from having to focus on balance. I seem to get much more stretch as well, especially with deep single squats. Much better for mobility.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

About 6’1. I just don’t love doing them too that’s also why the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Ha! Yeah, some people really do...but they are likely the folks they come naturally to!

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    So how is it going on the goal?

I am older than you, just turned 60 in July. My numbers are Bench 255, Deadlift 275, squat 225. Total 755. I train a lot and have been making a lot of progress on legs, they were way behind. I don't know if I will hit the 1000 lb number but close to 900 is reasonable. BUT, I am 6'6" tall so those deads and squats are a big move. I pushed 648 on the leg press for 3 last week.

SoCal to az and G. Pepper like this.
  16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Used to be a member of the club 15 years back....keep lifting strong guys

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    At my peak (~22) I could bench 405, dead 585 and squat in the low 500's. Now I do 225 squats for sets of 10 and I'm feeling it. Oh how things change.

I could probably still squeak over 1k pounds but I'd have to practice deadlift for a month to get it back above 400. At this point in my life I just want to feel athletic, pain free, and somewhat explosive to inspire confidence more so than performance.

Skidkid and G. Pepper like this.
  18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Today's brag: Today was arms and after a good pump on bicep and triceps (high reps at maybe 60-70%), the arms measure 18". Not bad since they were 13.5 about 2 years ago and we have had Covid lockdown and all.

GTHill likes this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You are still a spring chicken, wait until you get to my age.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You don't have much, if any, on me. Age poses a few limits but it is more a mental limit; people quit pushing themselves. But yes, he is a pup.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Mindset until injuries from years of banging weights will limit you. I still hit it pretty hard 5 to 6 days a week but I cant/dont squat 495 anymore, I stay at 315. Leg press is another story, I can go pretty heavy as it doesn't bother my back at all. My bench is super weak now because of shoulder injuries so I dont go higher than 225 and that's a good day. I play a lot of golf and dont want to hurt myself and limit my play so I keep it all within reason for me.

Skidkid likes this.
  22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Agreed. I am 60 and have crashed more motorcycles than most have owned. The back is clearly my weak point too but wrists, knees, and tendonitis are all issues so I wear protective gear even at lighter weights. Of course it depends on the lift what I use but frequent things are knee sleeves, elbow sleeves, wrist wraps, weight belt (a good leather one not the cheap velcro type), and versa grips for heavy pulls like heavy shrugs or heavy oblique crunches. I can't play golf, my back can't take that much (consistent) rotation any more, but I stay very active.

Gh21631 likes this.
  23. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My personal bests were 225 bench, 295 squat and 415 deadlift for a total of 935. But that was 20 years ago……Nowhere near that today and don’t care. Just want to be in shape and not get injured. Except for maybe the bench press. Wouldn’t mind getting that back up or over :)

Skidkid likes this.
  24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Nice numbers. My legs are way behind other parts. I can hit 225 on the bench any day I want but I can't touch those leg numbers, I am working on them so time will tell. I would be very happy to get my deadlift to 315.

Scott98 likes this.
  25. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Nice numbers guys; especially since no one is a spring chicken anymore on this forum.
    Used to be closer to the 2000 club than the 1000 club 20 years ago.
    Still in the 1000+ club easy these days.
    I don't do one rep max anymore.
    I rarely go below 8 reps as my joints and tendons start to hurt a lot. Banged up shoulder, croocked hip and two broken elbows don't help either...
    Currently repping out 130 dumbell bench presses for 6-8 reps. That translates to 350-400 on the bench with immaculate form.
    I quit deadlifting years ago due to lower back, but I do trap bar deads occaisionally and can still pick up 350 untrained.
    For squats I do belt squats due to lower back, but when comparing numbers I'm still way up in 400's.
    10-20 years ago those numbers would be 50% higher, but I was a walking eating machine (and not roided out!) that was out of breath after walking up a flight of stairs.
    Body weight currently is aprox 200-210lbs. Body Fat below 10%.
    I'm happy with my current stats and especially feeling and looking fit and in shape.
    Sure I do miss maxing out in every gym on every machine, but the hassle and pains I don't!