Passion of a Lifetime: A Gooding & Co Auction | FerrariChat

Passion of a Lifetime: A Gooding & Co Auction

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by thepinkumbrella, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Anyone know anymore about this auction? https://auction.goodingco.com/passion-of-a-lifetime

'...featuring selections from one of the world'd most revered private collections...the most coveted and valuable examples of European sports and racing automobiles of the 20th century'

Who's collection is being offered?

Paul

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ecclestone? Makes sense.

375+ and readplays like this.
  3. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Bamford?

4. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Wow, this could be something amazing...

5. 3COL

3COL Karting

Jun 12, 2017
    The location may be a clue?

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Most if not all of Ecclestone's cars are at Biggin Hill airfield outside of London and the chap who handles his sales and acquisitions is Tom Hartley jr, I can see him having called Gooding and offering the idea of the auction -Gooding's first in Europe- on condition he get a serious commission on all sales...

Jack-the-lad, Timmmmmmmmmmy and 375+ like this.
  7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    On April Fool's Day, a good date for unbelievable prices.

Jack-the-lad and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  8. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Hartley hit the big time a few years back when he sold #0704TR and again since then with at least one 250GTO so maybe, just maybe. Most of Ecclestones prize F1 cars have already been sold, the Maserati 250F and Mercedes-Benz W125 have already gone to new homes in Germany perhaps 5 years ago but there is likely stuff left to sell. That said the only UK residents with collections large enough to sustain a sale are Ainscough, Bamford, Beecroft, Corner, Ecclestone, Majzub, Mason, Mason-Styrron, Monteverdi, Neumark, Piper and Vestey.

Elsewhere I note Jackie Seton is selling his 206SP at Bonhams Paris auction, what else does he still have left to sell?

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is Monteverde not Monteverdi (no connection to Peter Monteverdi of Binningen near Basel, Switzerland, who used to be a race driver, Ferrari dealer and sportscar manufacturer).
    Ecclestone still owns a large number of very significant Ferraris. The MB W125 sold 8 April 2013.

Marcel Massini

Timmmmmmmmmmy and turbo-joe like this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #11 Nembo1777, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    At the 2018 Monaco Historic GP Bonhams auction Hartley was right next to Ecclestone & his wife and bidding for him on the 1993 Monaco winning Senna McLaren, I was ten meters behind and they obviously are used to work together. As is well known they got the car. There were others who wanted the car, one of which told me he knew he would be outgunned by them.

As Marcel mentioned Monteverde is Brazilian whereas Monteverdi was Swiss of Italian descent, zero connection, not to be confused. I went to the home of David Piper in 82, speak with him a lot every year, usually at 500 Ferraris against cancer and don't believe he has enough cars to make an auction or the heart of an auction out of it. Likewise Neil Corner, I went to his home in Yorkshire in May 1998 for my Cavallino article on "Charlotte" the Dino 246 F1 which was used in Phil Hill's first f1 victory and was then sold to Pat Hoare in New Zealand with a Testa Rossa V12. He sold that car and as far as I know he had just a 250SWB (albeit an important one, he has had at least two) an E Type lightweight and a handful of very early 20th century "wicker seat" brass cars. I met the Mason Styrron's at the Tour Auto, great people but I don't believe they have much more than the 166 and the Daytona group 4 even though they are investors in a small dealership.

Bamford would be a good candidate, Mason, maybe Vestey, don't know the others enough. To me Ecclestone makes sense as he is getting old and has no sons so he might as well "liquidate some assets."

Setton was based in France, outside of Paris though he sold his castle with private race track long ago to a fashion mogul, Valentino, who had the track torn out/covered. Setton lost all interest in cars and turned towards sailboats. The remains of the collection must be stored elsewhere. A guy in Texas was advertising some of them. It would not make sense for Setton to sell cars in the UK post ChaosBrexit.

Jack-the-lad, Timmmmmmmmmmy and 375+ like this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Marc:

Setton lives in Nyon, Switzerland.
    A number of important Ferraris are in a secret customs warehouse on the shores of Lake Geneva, near Vevey.

Marcel Massini

Timmmmmmmmmmy, Nembo1777 and 375+ like this.
  12. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    From the little I know of Bamford, I think it's unlikely he's liquidating his collection given that he & family seem to enjoy it so much. Mason enjoys his too, in a similar way, but I could see him selling his cars before Bamford. Of course at this level most don't need the money, but if I had to pick one or the other, I'd say Mason is more likely. I'd still be surprised if it were either. I can see Bernie getting rid of his cars, though.

Jack-the-lad and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes Petra and Tamara don't need Auto Unions or Cooper's, they need Gucci and Birkin bags;):D

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  14. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    It was late at night here in NZ so took a stab in the dark with i vs e.

IMO Gooding wouldn't necessarily be looking to liquidate an entire collection and even if it was, just a couple of unicorn cars, perhaps one or two top line Alfa 8Cs, Silver Arrows GP car, a GTO or special Bugatti, really something like to sell for $20+ million, would be enough to provide the marketing and publicity for an auction and the rest could be made up of dealer stock and filler.

Who knows really, it could be someone we have never heard of. And its not like any of them need the money, perhaps its a case of Bernie wanting the publicity (which he seems to crave) that will surely follow, especially if its a new record et al.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Guys, stop speculating.
    It is NOT Ecclestone.
    It will be announced the week after Scottsdale.

Marcel Massini

Jack-the-lad, 375+ and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bardinon? We have all assumed it was a UK collection...but it could be a European one too, with some customs tax arrangement..
    Ok I promise I will stop...for now:D

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You will see a stand from Gooding at Retromobile in Paris.

Marcel Massini

18. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I remember the good old days of posted catalogs and the required 8 - 12 weeks announcement of auction consignments and now Artcurial still hasn't offered anything but the barest of hints of whats going to be on offer at Retromobile with less than 4 weeks to go. 2020 seems to be the year of revitalisation for the market with relatively sensible estimates at Scottsdale (vis a vis 2019s sales) and excitingly diverse offerings at all the major auctions announced thus far. Goodings London sale is adding to this sense of new beginnings for what was a very dull 2019.

readplays likes this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    May I suggest to research a bit more. Artcurial has already placed all sorts of ads in various publications promoting a series of major cars for their Paris sale. Please also keep in mind that not everybody focuses on internet and social media but prefers printed media for their PR and marketing campaign. And those mags may possibly arrive later in certain countries.

Marcel Massini

20. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Fair enough. Will keep an eye out.

21. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
  22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #24 Marcel Massini, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    pdxjim488, SCantera, Lusso123 and 5 others like this.
  23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Lot 99, the 275 GTB Short Nose 06785 has a substantial race history. However, it's advertised as, and is supposed to be a 6 carb, but has a 3 carb set up.