F355 weight saving measures? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 weight saving measures?

Discussion in '348/355' started by carwhisperer, Nov 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I believe the nouvlari exhaust is around 20 pounds lighter than stock. And the fabspeed dropped around 4 pounds. Surprisingly the secondary cats already are pretty light.

2. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Yes that's my next upgrade after the new year and after I get my seats installed. I am ordering front carbon fiber bumper and nose filler. The hood will be last since I want to see quality of the first too first.

Qavion likes this.
  3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

@pnicholasen AMEN. The 348 seats are obscenely heavy. I remember taking them out of my 1990 ts, and basically needing deep tissue massage afterwards.

SoCal1 and Qavion like this.
  4. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I just got my reupholstered alcantara challenge seats back. I removed the drivers side seat to begin the installation and was disappointed to find the stock seats are not as heavy as I read someone post awhile bac . They claimed they are 55 pounds each but I compared to the carbon fiber omp seats I wont be surprised if the factory seats minus the rails are less than 30 pounds.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Stock seats out of my car were 42lbs each with sliders. Sliders are 5lbs so 37lbs for each stock seat with none.

6. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I realized there are three versions one with motor and one with out. Then theres a carbon fiber sport seat.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Looks like you have an early version seat and a later version seat because of the belt hoop differences. Where did you get the rectangle Cavalino patches? I've been looking for those. Good work on the upholestery btw! What color code is the alcantara?

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    How's the lithium battery still working out for you? No issues?

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ruey- As far as I know the only electric seats are for the Spider. Mine is a berlinetta

Ken, yes I suppose you can say that though I barely drove the car last year as I need to do maintenance but was tied up with another project. Might not get to it until this summer.

Yassa and ShineKen like this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    been a few years since youve had the battery. It is the best bang for your buck as far as weight cutting. Was reading caution warnings on the net regarding powering the car with lithium batteries so was hesitant to make the change.

ruey220 likes this.
  11. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    It's working out great. Its the same size as a regular car batt but without the anchor weight. I have a trickle charger for lith ion batts so it probably helps. The thing I like is it looks high quality at least on the casing. They didnt go cheap on it that's for sure.

They also give a free bluetooth speaker with built in light chargeable through USB everytime you get a battery so it's a nice goodie to get. I got a second battery for my other car and I'm looking to get the third one for my track build so that shows how pleased I am with having the battery.

Illyria likes this.
  12. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Ive had the lithium battery for 3 yrs now without any iasues.

Illyria and ShineKen like this.
  13. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I will get the exact code for you. I know it was charcoal black not the darkest black. I have extra patches I paid 15 each plus shipping I can send to you at the price I paid if you need. I accidentally ordered two extra ones since i hit the add to cart button twice since i visited the same website multiple times. I got it from a seller i believe in europe i just googled ferrari and omp patches and I found it on their site.

Thanks

ShineKen likes this.
  14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    does the site offer different sizes? Upon further inspection, the one I’m looking for is smaller.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Yassa likes this.
  16. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    ShineKen likes this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  18. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    i got the smallest ones they have 2.7inches wide.

ShineKen likes this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Gotcha. They still look bigger than the ones I want. The search continues...

20. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Basic math says that removing 200 pounds is like adding 25 HP. Where can you get that much value by adding parts? We 348 guys have known this for years, which is why you see so many of us removing the "luxury pieces" on our cars. With an exhaust system swap, sound system and AC deletes, plus some other removals (like a seat swap) one can easily add more performance to the benefits already coming from the exhaust swap.

Question: If you remove the air bags, can you clear the fault and turn off the dash light without removing the bulbs?

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It would be a bad design if it didn't recheck the bags after resetting the fault light. I'm not sure if the F355 has the same airbag setup as the 456, but even when the electrical connector is disconnected the airbag ECU, the light illuminates because a jumper wire in the harness is activated. If you didn't pull the bulb out, you would have to cut the lamp wire (or pull its pin from the appropriate connector).