Any interest in a Dino USA Club? | FerrariChat

Any interest in a Dino USA Club?

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is there any interest in starting a Dino USA Club with the goal hosting an annual trip, similar to Matthias Barts German Dino Club but in the USA?

Prancing Horse Farm likes this.
  2. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    yes!

synchro likes this.
  3. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Include the Canadians

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I think there should be one Dino club globally. A global Dino club with regions such as Europe, Japan, Asia, America, etc. Running a club is a lot of work and requires individuals that are passionate to do that. Most club members just go along for the ride. There was no one that put their hand up to continue the Dino Registry. A robust club needs to also archive their history and document the cars. “If” there was a global Dino club, would Ferrari endorse it? What Matthias has done was mostly the energy and passion from Matthias. I ask him what the potential is and should it build on what he’s doing.

We have a diverse and smart group of individuals that populate and give valuable information to this forum. How do we harness this?

synchro likes this.
  5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    We had a Dino club in France in the 80's. The president of the club was a good friend and I know it was a huge job to organize the meetings and take care of the correspondence. There was no Internet and everything was done by mail. We had a newsletter called Dino~Scope three or four times a year and I wrote some articles. The club has changed with the arrival of a new president. It was a different person and there were fewer and fewer participants. Eventually the club disappeared. You have to be organized and have a lot of time to take care of a club like this... Not easy, bu a good idea.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

synchro likes this.
  6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    globally, that is a full time job….
    I think the USA should have a better organized Dino community. The great Grand Canyon meeting last year in November deserved more participants and the organizer was all over FChat!
    What a great event… thanks Scott!
    My private Dino register is way beyond what we had on the internet, the problem with the internet is: no discretion and that is what most of owners want...

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I agree that the USA Dino Community needs to be better organized. The problem with the USA is that it is 50 countries as large as 50 countries! Everyone is so far apart location wise. There is no one like you here. In Europe, countries are centrally located and easily accessed for the most part. Beautiful roads, mountains and differing European cultures add to the experiences and connect the countries. In the US, it’s much more localized such as the western coastal route, the Rockies, etc. America has has a lot of flyover land with loooong straight roads in between. Not fun in a Dino.

The research you have done on the Dino stands alone. No sense in overlapping that effort. Maybe one main club (Europe?) with regions that could be run ie USA West Coast, USA Mid-West and USA East Coast?

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #9 synchro, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Thank you for attending, this was really fun and the group was the best I have led in 10 years.

MATTHIAS BARTZ DATA IS BEST
    Fact: Only 40% of Dino owners attending The Dino Rally were on FerrariChat, most came because of Matthias Bartz personal email
    NOTE: 3 Dinos were not going to attend the FCA International Concours until after the registered for The Dino Rally. Stated another way, HALF of the FCA Concours Dino class attended the Concours because they registered with The Dino Rally first.

NO USA FCA INTEREST IN DINO
    The Dino is a Model Type and the USA FCA is strictly based by Region. MB has seen my emails to the FCA and it is like a deer in the headlights asking to contact all USA Dino owners.
    The FCA website has no way to contact other Dino members and the FCA will not permit any Dino article, event ad, or trip summary unless it is an FCA event.

Freeman is speaking sensibility.
    Matthias needs to grow the Dino Club into an International Club (The rest of the world is begging you please) and let each country host an event.

MB, Your wonderful event in Maranello took much of your Dino energy and you were fatigued after July 2018. That is why I suggested that you allow me to host the 2019 Grand Canyon event's structure so you can concentrate on interacting with the humans.
    Be our celebrity. You blew away Jihl and TDK when you chatted with them, looked up their Dino and revealed it was one of 3 delivered with a Silver removable GTS roof.
    That kind of Dino interaction was happening all weekend because Matthias had time to interact

CONCLUSION
    Contact, data and interaction all sum it up. The Dino Club needs to go Global

Scott

Jamie H likes this.
  10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Scott, thank you for your comments! I can only imagine Matthias is still overwhelmed with the event in Maranello and wants to focus on his personal Dino projects. Ferrari, from what I’ve heard can be difficult to deal with. I would love a global Dino club that is specific to the Dino marque (including Fiat Dinos, Dino engined race cars, 308GT4 and Stratos). Getting the club rights to use the logos is important. It takes a lot of time, persistence, and personal resources to be successful. It also takes professional talents such as legal, organizational, creative, treasury, boutique, etc etc. I, for instance limit myself to just the odd blogs on F-Chat and some personal emails. Those that take on the responsibilities, I have a lot of respect for. In some ways, it’s a thankless role where others feel entitled and insensitive to the efforts of those who accept the responsibilities.

Freeman

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Also....if a Dino vendor were to put the power behind something like this, it would benefit them as well as the club members. Club member numbers would have to all be even numbers!

synchro likes this.
  12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The FCA have clearly stated they have no interest in a Dino Club USA or allowing anyone to ask them to contact all Dino Owners in their database to invite to a Dino event.

I'm in my 27th year in both Ferrari clubs so after the FCA stopped responding to my calls and emails, I approached the Ferrari Owner's Club USA. The FOC club is all about driving and holds only one Concours so their focus is completely about cars in motion. My impression is that they'll allow us to do what we want as long as we put cars on the road and spread enthusiasm.

Again, the FCA is a Regional Club with a National headquarters of volunteers that direct the Regions to do activities. Nationals never produces an event solely themselves, it is always done through a Region adding a number of political layers.

Contrast this with The FOC , which is one unit, like the Ferrari Club of Germany, and serves the membership with structure but encourages activities by Dino

13. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    I would be interested in a US Dino club.

14. Sal Manzur

Sal Manzur Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    I would be interested as well but only
    Able to attend one or two events per year.
    I have a four year old boy who keeps me busy

15. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I would be interested in a Dino club as well. I would also interested in managing the Canadian chapter.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nailed it - this is exactly our intention!

A 3 day annual Dino meet with the intention of gathering Dinophiles together for socializing, a Rally, and a Concours all set in a location with photo opportunities commensurate with the beauty of a Dino. Not too different than one of Matthias' EU Dino Club DE trips over the last 16 years.

In 1986, the Maserati club that I was a member of decided to add a concours event to our annual 3 day meet and move it from N Lake Tahoe to Monterey.
    This ended up being the grass roots movement of what eventually became Concours Italiano.
    In the same way, I could see the purity and strength of Dino ownership fueling the same sort of meet and it growing organically.

The USA Ferrari Owner's Club is very agreeable to our goals and is extending a helping hand

Attached Files:

Jamie H likes this.
  17. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
    I
    I'm happy to assist, Freeman.
    Just want to remark that I have seen clubs loose their spirit when comercial interest was mixed into the structure.

18. Kepler246gt

Kepler246gt Rookie

Apr 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    Schalon Newton
    Yes, I am very interested. Located in Southern California. 1972 246GT.

19. Sal Manzur

Sal Manzur Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    I would like say hello to other Dino owners
    And a annual drive. I am in southern Ca also

20. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    yes - also in southern cal

21. DinoSteve

DinoSteve Karting

Apr 13, 2022
    Wayland,MA
    Full Name:
    Steve Gilbert
    Hi,

We talked on BaT

At this starting point I am in the process of gathering members' information. Please include your email address when you send your contact info. I'll keep everybody posted in a mass mailing.
    Thanks

Steve Gilbert
    '73 GTS 06156
    [email protected]
    508 276-1057
    27 Forty Acres Drive
    Wayland, MA 01778
    [email protected]