Newbie seeking a little help | FerrariChat

Newbie seeking a little help

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ekimredyps, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ekimredyps

ekimredyps Rookie

Jan 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Christian
    Hi there, new to the F-car marque...doing some research before my purchase. I am considering a 430 or 458 but need to see one in person and sit in one to see how I fit. Is there a local so cal club where I can see them and talk to some of you about them? Any suggestions?

I am located in South Orange County.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe head to Eurocar in Costa Mesa. They have a fairly large selection of Ferrari's and other exotics on hand. When I was shopping for my 458, they were pretty cool about me trying them out and taking one for a test drive. Good luck in your search. I currently have both a 430 and a 458. Very different cars. The 458 is a leap year ahead over the 430, but I love both for their own reasons.

3. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
  4. ekimredyps

ekimredyps Rookie

Jan 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Christian
    Thanks for your insight, I will check Eurocar out. Can I ask you what you like about each briefly? This would be for driving around OC and an occassional longish haul to southern Oregon. I won't be doing any tracking with this car. I also prefer to do as much routine maintenance as I can by myself...relatively simple stuff. Does one lend itself better to that? I don't need a car that is too raw, I have that already.

5. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    The 458 is just a more comfortable car. The entertainment interface, dual clutch transmission, bumpy road button, and overall technology just makes the 458 more as an every day driver. It’s quiet inside and I can make phone calls and listen to music if I want to. The exhaust is pretty subdued, but I’m going to fix that soon.

The 430 is more raw and visceral. I put in aftermarket headers and an exhaust, and it just screams. F1 transmission is clunky and slow compared to 458, and I always stress out when backing up on an incline (my driveway and clutch wear). Layout of the interior is pretty simple with analog gauges. The 430 has less electrical stuff, so easier for me to work on.

For overall just driving around and a long haul, 458 for me. For fun and raucous driving, 430. Just my opinions and other may feel different.

6. ekimredyps

ekimredyps Rookie

Jan 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Christian
    I appreciate your comments. Off to Eurocar tomorrow.

7. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mike,
    See the PM sent in Conversation.

8. ekimredyps

ekimredyps Rookie

Jan 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Christian
    Went to eurocar. I am a regular sized guy and found the 430 seat bolster too tight...is this typical? The 458 was comfortable.

I like the older looking 430 dash, the 458 dash seemed a bit too modern for my taste.

I think the 458 exterior is more stunning. I have a hard time with the 430 radiator openings.

I turned the cars on and felt some buzzing vibrations in my back in the 430, but not so much in the 458.

Anyway, it is early in my research...leaning 458 at this point, but it is still early.

Mike

9. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mike, I purchased my 430 first then my 458. If I had purchased the 458 first, I would not have purchased the 430.

10. ekimredyps

ekimredyps Rookie

Jan 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Christian
    You are confirming my suspicion ridege55...I have yet to read of someone getting a 430 after owning a 458...it seems the other way around is more prevalent.