Optima red top 34R battery NOT recommended | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Optima red top 34R battery NOT recommended

Discussion in '360/430' started by f355spider, Dec 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Optimas are absolute junk. Just junk.

They were great a decade plus ago.

But literally every car I buy with an optima I have had to replace in just a month or so.

They rarely charge back and I have one of the best chargers money can buy.... And I view it as a personal challenge to get it back lol.

Thoae batteries are a complete waste of money.

When people try to tell me it has one as a plus u immediately factor in 200 bucks to throw that thing out.

Sj_engr and f355spider like this.
  2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ha ha, maybe so, but they correctly down grade the Optima red tops

3. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I used a walmart brand battery and it works. Hasnt blown up yet.

technom3 likes this.
  4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Update from my post #1, where I found a leaking Optima red top battery, while replacing with...yeah, another Optima red top battery. So about 2.5 years has passed, and I was performing a load test on the Optima this week...and you guess it, this one is leaking too! 2.5 year old battery and it is leaking. BTW, it did produce 1002 CCA so it is still otherwise performing well.

Since the 430 Scuderia has a battery tray designed to only fit an Optima, I ordered a F430 battery tray. Once it arrives, I will buy an Odessey or Interstate AGM battery instead. I'm done with Optima. That is three in a row. I doubt it is from overcharging. The first one was charged with the factory Ferrari charger by the previous owner...the second one with factory and a Save a Battery/Granite, and the third one with a Griots tender with an AGM setting. All three cannot be overcharging. Also, I have never had issues with the Granite/Save a Battery or Griots on either of my BMWs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flea7 and Qavion like this.