Is the F12tdf going to go down in history as one of Ferrari's "halo" cars... | FerrariChat

Is the F12tdf going to go down in history as one of Ferrari's "halo" cars...

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ibesuc, Jan 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ....or will it be dethroned by an 812 lightweight edition?

What I am coming to realize is that the tdf is probably going to be or has already become one of those halo cars--like the 300SL Gullwing, F40, Carrera GT, maybe even GT3 RS 4.0.....where everyone raves and dreams about it and, in many contexts, places it above all else (the 599 GTO not quite as much?).

What separates these cars from all else (F40, CGT, tdf)? As far as I can tell (as someone who has only read and listened to reviews)-- they are borderline-barbaric machines that give you a mechanic sense of pure lunacy. That trait of madness (however you want to describe it) really seems to be what separates hypercars from others and makes them so desirable. They all have over the top performance, and as such are almost excitingly imperfect for the roads and even the track! Not sure if i would include the LaFerrari, 918 or any McLaren in such a category.

Also interesting to note how there are a few TDFs in europe/middle east that have done 40k+ miles....guess that says something.

Caeruleus11, 500drvr and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Was the 599 GTO "dethroned" by the Tdf? Not really. Just two brothers, sharing space on same "throne." Probably will be same with Tdf/812LW assuming said car is produced. There are multiple Fchatters with BOTH 599 GTO and Tdf. Likely would be same with Tdf/812LW.

FerRrari, Avia11 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I would like to think it will be considered a halo car, but as an owner, I am terribly biased, I admit.

But there is no question it is really something special. Every time I take it on the track (and I do regularly) I am SO excited and just a bit terrified at the same time. The car has so much to offer the really skilled driver, and I love it because I am a long, long way from reaching its limits, so it is eternally entertaining and challenging. I love it with a passion that far exceeds any other car I own or have owned in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avia11, day355, lamborarri and 4 others like this.
  4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I share these sentiments. This car is such an absolute MONSTER but in an infinitely entertaining way. It always begs for more. Not a single dull moment passes when you're behind the wheel. Compared to other V12 Ferraris I've driven, everything feels so light and effortless. It's a sensation that needs to be felt first-hand to fully comprehend. All I can say regarding the OP is that if/when all Tdf's find their way into the hands of owners who fully appreciate what this car really is, and what it offers/delivers, it certainly stands high likelihood of fitting that "halo car" definition longer term.

Versus possible 812LW: No GPF. No HELE. No ADAS. Mechanical key. Derived from Pininfarina design. (for some of us, these things matter)

mepassione, Avia11, day355 and 4 others like this.
  5. "Is the F12tdf going to go down in history as one of Ferrari's "halo" cars..."
    YES!...but I'm biased

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    All off the modern lineup is derived from PF designs. The F12TdF is everything owners say it is but there's no PF badge so it will never tick that box. I also believe the halo term is directed toward the hypercar segment. Doesn't take away from being a very special NA V12 Ferrari IMO and an awesome addition to a collection.

day355 and Boomhauer like this.
  7. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    You confuse "Halo cars" with "Hardcore & Limited editions"

The halo cars are the 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo & LaF/LafA

The GTO and Tdf are not and will never be Halo Cars/

8. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    The TDF is a great Ferrari and its position in Ferrari’s history will be similar to the 599GTO. No more no less
    It will not be anywhere near the real halo cars (288, F40 etc) but that doesn’t make it unimportant
    Given the price action on 599GTOs I do expect prices to soften though.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    In modern days there really has only been 5 front engine 2 seat Ferraris and each had a special edition.. For the 550 it was the 550 barchetta basically a spider version of the 550 with no real top , then the 575 had the super America a wierd convertible but it did have an extra few hp ... neither of them have really done super well but they both are worth more than the std models ... where as with the 599 the 599 GTO used a different engine and really was a special HI performance version of the 599...(they also did an 80 unit aperta ) .. then the F12 did the TDF ..
    so to me all of these deserve their place in history and I think the GTO and TDF will be roughly equal places in history with many collectors wanting one of each .. I will get a TDF eventually but would never sell the GTO to get the TDF as I think the real thing is to have one of each .....but no they are not the same as a 288gto or Enzo etc...

10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    possibly not but it could be close, it peaked at £900k here in the UK at one point

it will always have an allure of being an edgy/dangerous car in the similar vein as a CGT

11. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Some sold for more than £1mm

12. Cyrek

Cyrek Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    It’s got my vote

Caeruleus11 and mepassione like this.
  13. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I think the F12 TDF is a fabulous car, I wish I had the funds too buy one currently as I think it will be a future classic down the road.