Fast food "do not visit list" rant | FerrariChat

Fast food "do not visit list" rant

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Bradwilliams, Dec 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#1 Bradwilliams, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Can you guys believe what some of these places are charging these days? I now have two chains on the do not visit list. The most recent being five guys fries. I ate at one a few weeks ago for the first time in about a year and forgot why. I ordered small fries small burger and a drink. FIFTEEN dollars! The food is good but it isnt that good! What a joke. The other one is panera. They had a turkey artichoke sandwich back in the day that was really good and about 7 dollars. I went in there one day about 7 years ago and it was 12. Id rather go to an actual restaurant than get ripped off by these two chains

Flavio_C, greg328 and Dom like this.
  2. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    With you on Panera. Love 5 guys. Don’t think it’s that expensive here but it’s been a year or so

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yeah, 2 of us had to get a loan to eat at 5 Guys. Same deal, doubled. We figure we'll have it paid off in late 2057.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bradwilliams likes this.
  4. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    It is the rise in minimum wage. The cost of labor has raised all prices

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

timjen88 likes this.
  5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Yeah, took my 2 boys to Five guys last weekend. For the three of us, the bill was around$45. Crazy. I can go to In N Out and eat for half that.

That said, this is a Ferrari forum, I can’t believe we are bitching about fast food prices...

timjen88, Rifledriver and sf_hombre like this.
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't think I've had Five Guys for at least 5 years and I always thought it was overrated. I think In-N-Out is the best fast food burger out there (animal style, same as the fries) and reasonably priced. I rather pay more and get nicer food elsewhere anyway. For fast food stuff I usually just get Panda Express...a lot of food for like $8.

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I went to Hardies yesterday for the first time in about 15 years while driving back from a trip. Since I wasn't familiar with the menu, I ordered the first thing on the list under the assumption that it would be the cheapest. Got a 1/3 pound burger with these and made it a combo with fries and a drink. Total came to $8.32, which seemed high to me and certainly more than BK and MD. The food was OK+ possibly since it was new to me. Most importantly, I did not have a toilet attack afterwards, which used to concern me about that place, deserved or not. Willing to eat there again, but would not seek them out.

8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I am on vacation visiting my sister here in the DFW area and I am astonished by how expensive it became to eat out in the USA. With the same money you spend in a "comfort food" restaurant or even in a simple fast food chain, you can eat a very decent meal in Milan, the most expensive city in Italy. I cannot even touch on the pizza subject: a pizza at one of the best pizzerie in Milan (Da Zero, Pizzium, Piz, Gino Sorbillo, etc.) is CHEAPER than Domino's here!

wax likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Supply and demand? Always see chain restaurant parking lots full here in DFW. Sometimes I joke my wife and I are the last two people who cook at home.

By the way, if you're from Milan, expect to be disappointed by our Texas pizza. You should be hitting up Tex Mex joints and such. Just about every random mom and pop joint will do the trick...T

Flavio_C likes this.
  10. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I buy standing rib roast at the local supermarket for $6.99/lb (their usual sale price, which happens at regular intervals). I cut them into ribeye steaks. I eat 7 or more per week. It seems like a much better deal to grill a 1 lb ribeye steak at home in 7 minutes for $7 than to sit in a fast food drive through for a **** meal in the same time frame for the same money.

wax, David_S, Flavio_C and 2 others like this.
  11. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Personally, Five Guys is THE most over-rated fast food burger in the universe.

timjen88, wax, Wade and 2 others like this.
  12. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    How do you feel about Smashburger?

13. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    I recall having it once in Schaumburg, IL (a location that is now closed BTW). I unfortunately don't remember whether it was memorable or not.

BMW.SauberF1Team and pilotoCS like this.
  14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    No, I won't even try a pizza here. I prefer to eat a traditional brisket instead.

My sister insisted I should try SmashBurger because it was the best burger. However I made a mistake: I asked for the novelty one with "swiss and truffles". Although the cheese was ok, the so called "truffle" was a plain and dread artificial black truffles aroma that killed the rest of the burger. I will try a traditional one next time.

15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Brisket and tacos, you can't go wrong!
    Enjoy your time in DFW...T

16. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Cost of labor with the forced $15 minimum wage is most of that.

There are places here advertising a two-topping 'large' pizza - for $25!!!
    That's crazy!
    I remember when Godfather's and Valentino's Pizza was the bomb, but that was over 30 years ago.
    Today? I don't think any chain pizza is anything more than 'something to eat'.
    Both of those chains were started here in Nebraska, the guy that started Val's has a few Ferraris...

To be clear, this is the 'other off-topic' forum, anything goes here.

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Adding to the Do Not Go list - Subway! Such crap.

timjen88 likes this.
  18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Got my connection flight at MIA and decided to stop by TGI Fridays to eat a bacon cheeseburguer with onion rings and tap water: 18 dollars including tip. With that kind of money I can eat a great pizza plus a beer.

I remember that in the 2000s it was cheaper to eat out in the USA (SF, CHI, NYC, etc.) than in Italy but it seems like during the 2010s it inverted. Not only the cost, but the quality and taste, whether of a meal in a restaurant or what you buy in the supermarket, is extraordinarily better in Italy.

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  21. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    My mouth salivates a little bit whenever I see a "sandwich" like this. THIS is how I expect all my subs to look when I order them as such.

22. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    My wife, daughter and I went to Red Robin a couple months ago. We ordered standard bacon cheeseburgers, waters, and a mac-n-cheese kids meal for my daughter.

$49 with tip

It's Red Freakin Robin.

23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The last time I saw a sub like that, in person, was during the mid 60s at an Italian deli in Fort Lee, NJ. :(

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    In the southeast is a chain called New York Butcher Shoppe. They have those plus a lot of other things like ribs and cuts of meat in addition to wines. I used to go there all the time in Birmingham. They for sure have locations in SC and GA and price is great for everything and quality is top notch.

Edit: here's one in FL: www.newyorkbutcherpontevedrabeach.com/

Wade likes this.
  25. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    There’s a five guys around 18 miles from my house - it’s actually one of the options on my destination list for when I want to take one of the fun cars out for a weekend drive - love their bacon cheeseburger no onion add jalapeño ...

and since these Fcars depreciate around $6 a mile, I guess it’s not fair for me to complain about the price of their burgers.. so I’ll go with the life is too short saying...

ronfrohock, NbyNW, Dolcevita and 2 others like this.