Ferrari Rodents | FerrariChat

Ferrari Rodents

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Phils430DIY, Jan 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Phils430DIY

Phils430DIY Rookie

Sep 5, 2019
    Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Phil M
    Hi all It's winter here in the UK and have I got a problem. The 430 is all tucked away in her blanket until the sun comes back. Which for me is around April this year.
    My problem is small rodents I have caught 8 (EIGHT) mice in traps in the last two weeks. I'm concerned that they might be making homes in my 430's inner skirts. God knows what damage they could do. So how do you guys deal with the lay up during the **** weather.

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Regular traps with dog or cat food glued to the bait cup. Had one nesting in the trunk of the 135i. Cold wouldn't get it out and couldn't catch it. They can't resist kibble. Works great.

Also, let a predator aka cat mark the garage with their pheromones namely from jowls and paws. Find the entrance how they are getting in and good luck.

3. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    We're in a rural area and this is a big problem here. Mice are mainly a nuisance but rats can do serious damage, as they chew for the sport of it. (Actually they have to to keep there teeth worn back) I place a tray of granular rat and mouse poison under the car in the winter. I replace the poison two or three times until spring. (Something's eating it) If we are not going to drive the car for a few weeks, I place bags of rodent repellent in the engine compartment and trunk in our 36o. This has worked pretty well so far. Have found only a few mouse droppings by the radiators during annual maintenance, which we do in the spring.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've used standard spring mouse traps and the sticky traps. I never use poison because then you don't know where they are going to die.

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I was hoping for a thread about disreputable Ferrari owners.

6. Phils430DIY

Phils430DIY Rookie

Sep 5, 2019
    Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Phil M
    Has anybody tried the sonic noise type rodent repellents, I was wondering if they were any good or possibly better.

7. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    You don't know, but the poison is supposed to make them thirsty so they go outside for water and die.

One can put some mothballs in the engine compartment and boot. Rodents don't like the smell/fumes and tend to stay away.

8. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    As I've had the pleasure of experiencing, just a little mouse in the wrong semi-enclosed space can be quite the amazing little stinker.

Nospinzone likes this.
  9. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    They don't work.

I tried one for two solid days in the trunk of the car connected to an extension cord and the mouse wouldn't exit.

This mouse was living out of my trunk for TWO WEEKS. I tried all sorts of fancy traps, both electronic and live capture.

I wanted to avoid poison for the very reason they could die in an unreachable area and cause more issues. One traditional jaw trap with the right bait and in less than 8 hours dead.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    In reference to the above photos, the 135i is now allowed back inside the garage again. :)

11. Phils430DIY

Phils430DIY Rookie

Sep 5, 2019
    Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Phil M
    JaguarXJ6 thanks for sharing that info. Caught another two since in a jaw trap. Must be a hell of a lot about. My garage doors are crap fitting being
    up and over type. Will defo be changing for roller type this spring/summer. Might get some more traps and put them in the front storage compartment and the engine bay. I'm just a bit OCD that the little ****s will start chewing my girls wiring harness.
    Thanks everyone for your imput.

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    YouTube: Mouse trap

Shawn Woods has 1.2 Million Subscribers.

New Videos every Mousetrap Monday
    Best is from 7 months ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I'd stick the car in a carcoon or similar and add some traps inside the carcoon for good measure.

I've got one (not a carcoon, but similar with a frame) you can borrow (need a bit of tape on a seam) if you are every passing down the M4 (J17) area.

14. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
  15. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Found this little guy in the fender wheel of my F40 last month. We live in the suburbs. Had built him or herself a nice nest. Took a while to coax it out. Fortunately did not chew on anything. Just a lot of pine straw to fish out. We keep the garage door open a couple of inches for the cat to go in and out. Have to have a talk with my wife about that. Drew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

JaguarXJ6 and G. Pepper like this.
  16. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Found this little guy in the fender wheel of my F40 last month. We live in the suburbs. Had built him or herself a nice nest. Took a while to coax it out. Fortunately did not chew on anything. Just a lot of pine straw to fish out. We keep the garage door open a couple of inches for the cat to go in and out. Have to have a talk with my wife about that. Drew
    View attachment 2876058

17. Phils430DIY

Phils430DIY Rookie

Sep 5, 2019
    Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Phil M
    Hi, That's no mouse what the hell is it. Looks like a ferret. Bet you didn't put your hand in there.

Dewinator likes this.
  18. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks like a opossum.

This is the first year that I've had a mouse problem in my 328. Killed one, but I'm assuming there are more.

19. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    And the wife needs to have a talk with the cat for slacking on security patrol! :D

Streetsurfer likes this.
  20. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    View attachment 2876058
    Its a possum. I was thinking how in the world did all that pine straw get stuck in there and was pulling it out with bare hand minding my own business. Then he stuck his head out. Scared the crap out of me. I finally had to resort to a compressed air pistol to get him to move. So he runs under the car and climbs into the engine bay from underneath. Open the back lid and a couple more blasts of compressed air and he headed across the road. :)

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    YES!!!!!!

Of course the only problem is he probably has family. :D

22. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
  23. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    I had this issue two years ago. You can’t trap enough to keep up. One got in my 991 and set the alarm off after nesting in the cowl. If your doors have gaps on the bottom of the side seals these metal strips stopped the invasion. Might be worth a shot.

Thecadster likes this.