At What Current Price Point Can You Buy a Boxer That Requires Only Reasonable Maintenance? | FerrariChat

At What Current Price Point Can You Buy a Boxer That Requires Only Reasonable Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Shark01, Jan 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So 1-2 years ago, I really wanted a Boxer. At the time, I would have been restricted to a $175k level car (yes few and far between) even with some financing (up to $50k) help. After being hit with a tack hammer verbally a few times from Newman, I realized that even if I could buy the car I couldn't both pay off the loan and give it the $30-40k in near immediate maintenance a car in that price category would need.

Now a couple of years on, my car fund has grown significantly and the prices have settled back a bit. Using less financing, I would now be able to look at cars in the $240k area.

Would I now have a good enough budget that if the right car (condition) could be bought that I could maintain it (using a Houston area indy shop) with a $5k per year budget (my definition of reasonable)?

I find my '99 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster maintenance bills average $6k a year and I certainly get WAY more pleasure than what I spend to maintain (actually improve it).

The only other car that gets me fired up about is a '05-06 Ford GT, so before I go and buy one of those just wanted to get a Boxer market update from the experts here.

2. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #2 Zeff, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    I guess the real question is can you locate a nice enough car with excellent maintenance history and up to date service for 240k, That would be my first priority. If you can locate the right car that fits that parameter I would go for it. If you have to spend 260-290k and you can’t spend any more than I would say no. I don’t know the current values very well on those cars as I have never followed or looked at them. But that’s how I would decide. Can I buy the right car for 240k? Is that enough money? If your buying a car for 240k and you have to spend some money on it deferred maintenance as well as other incidentals don’t do it. I do know of people that have owned them and they are good solid cars. But surprises on any car could pop up. Always be prepared.

BOKE likes this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Just to clarify, my budget to buy the car is $240k, by the time you get through inspections, trip to buy the car, transport, and Texas taxes (6.25%) I would be sitting at $263k or thereabouts.

Otherwise, I concur with your thoughts....

4. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Don’t buy the car. You don’t have enough within your budget. You answered your own question. When you are buying a car always take the emotion out. Look at it as a business transaction. If it makes sense from that view point ie I can afford it. Then I would go buy it. If it means to stretch my finances on any accord the answer is always no.

BOKE likes this.
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Considering this statement, with all due respect you are not the party I am inquiring to reach. I'm not talking about stretching any finances here (the loan amount I am considering is $30-40k).

What I'm asking is what general condition a $250k ask Boxer is in, that if chosen well would they have large immediate needs.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Newman is the one to talk to about your idea.

Shamile and BOKE like this.
  7. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    1984 FERRARI 512 BBI
    A buddy of mine has been looking for over two years now. He looked at this car and didn't bid in the Las Vegas auction back in October. He described the car as, "good from far, but far from good." He guessed on around $50K+ of work to get it up to his minimum standards. The car was bid to and didn't sell at $240K in Las Vegas. No reserve this time in Kissimmee.

Keep an eye on the results. :rolleyes:

I second the emotion that @Newman is the right guy to talk to.

Shamile, Shark01 and Zeff like this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Good data point....and if this is indicative of the current market, I'll be happy enough to go buy something else.

If Paul wants to comment, I'm guessing he will...LOL I just would rather he leave the tack hammer in the toolbox...

9. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
  11. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Shark01 and BOKE like this.
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Not that I drive my toys all that much, but paying a premium for a low mile non-collectible is just stupid.

13. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #13 Zeff, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Not necessarily. A friend of mine just bought one with 10k miles. He’s a perfectionist the car he bought wasn’t perfect and now he is spending money on it to make everything like new. The seats and carpet showed minor wear so he’s fixing little things but these things do add up quickly. Always cheaper to buy a nicer car than restore one in most cases. I know he paid 105 plus for the car. I’d rather have this car that has no miles and is perfect. Forget the depreciation. It’s not only about that. Just another buyers perspective when I’m buying. This is how I look at things. I’ve bought enough cars that needed something and then I see a better car come up and it’s not much more and I always kick myself that I missed out. I don’t make those mistakes too much anymore. If a guy is looking for a 360 why not buy the best one you can find. I don’t know,I don’t like to compromise too much with my cars anymore. I like them to be as perfect as possible otherwise I starting making a list and try to fix everything that’s wrong. May be cosmetic but it still bothers me. I like my cars to look like they are in new condition. This car is not for everyone but I can assure you there are people out there that would want it. My friend bought his at an auction. He should have waited for a better car in my opinion since he is the same way I am. He should have bought this one. He already has that much into his car and it has 10k miles. I’d rather have the 700.

14. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I doubt if you could EVER buy a boxer and pay only “reasonable maintenance”.

BigTex, turbo-joe and BOKE like this.
  16. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    My mistake, he just bought this 430 last year and has been doing all the miscellaneous cosmetic repairs. He doesn’t own a 360. Just wanted to clarify that. He agrees with me that he should have found a car in better condition than trying to restore one. That’s all.

17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i inspected the $200k boxer that driver source had and sold to an fchatter in 2019.
    it was a driver with some needs.
    the needs would have cost at least $50k to rectify to get it to a great standard - not 100 point, but 90+.

so it is possible, you just need to keep looking.

i prefer this route, since you then know it was all done the way you want it.

ScottS, samsaprunoff and BOKE like this.
  18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think if you want a driver, you should have plenty of money for a good BBi. The key is to look at the ones on the market and make offers... I'm pretty sure you'll get some takers, and probably at lower prices than you might imagine. If you want a super low miles perfect car, maybe you either need to spend more or buy one and fix it up yourself so it's what you want.

I would expect on any 30-40 year old Ferrari that you'll need to spend $10-20k minimum to make it a safe, reliable driver, no matter how shiny it is and how great the seller tells you it is. So I would keep that in mind.

What kind of car are you looking for? A show car or a driver? Those last few concours points can cost a lot.

turbo-joe likes this.
  19. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    With patience you can find a car to start with. Lot of dreamers out there pricing cars IMO.
    Yearly maintenance hasn’t been bad for me.
    But the -5 year engine out services can add up to a significant charge.

Who in Houston were you planning to use?

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Driver grade, maybe a 2.5 and over time try to get it to a 2 (if anyone still uses this scale).

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Using this scale applied to that car (I saw it a couple of times at DS), it seems pretty close to where I am at now budget wise. A 90% car would be fine for my needs.

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Mark at Sphere, but open to suggestions.

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would sign up for a subscription to FML and make some calls. The current issue has 5 BBs and 5 BBis and a 365GT4/BB.

One nice thing about Boxers is that they have always been valuable enough that they generally haven't been left to rot-- worst case, they were stored indoors, under cover.

24. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    ALWAYS buy best one you can find. Period. Can't swing that, cross off list or wait til you can. Or budget double purchase price to bring back the great mysteries of kluge that dwell there.

BOKE likes this.
  25. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    I get your point, but I disagree on buying a low mileage car if you plan on driving it. It's been my experience that cars that sit too long without driving tend to cost more to drive than cars that are driven regularly.

donv, 4right, turbo-joe and 3 others like this.