IMSA 2020 | FerrariChat

IMSA 2020

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RWatters, Dec 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sad but not surprising

3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am surprised not to see Montaplast by Land on the list. Has anyone heard anything about them?

4. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Part of the problem is the expense to run a Weathertech program. Even the lowest class, GT3 cars are really quite expensive to run, the costs have kept skyrocketing. You are looking at $3MM a year for 10 races. $600k+ just for this one race the 24 Hours of Daytona. Think about that.

But hey that is why GS (gt4) is growing. 6-9 cars in 2016, then when they switched to GT4 format 13 in 2017, ~20 in 2018, ~24-28 in 2019.

RWatters and GuyIncognito like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Good intel. How much less is it to run GT4?

6. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    They are the team that IMSA officials have royally screwed a time or two, correct?

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That would certainly be true for Daytona 2018. Beyond that, there have been a number of times where they have screwed themselves.

8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I haven’t been to one of these races, but seems to me that with such a low number of cars in each class, will there be much action except trying to pass slower class cars later in the race?

Forza Ferrari, F1’s most successful team

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

IMSA is the series I follow the closest so most of my responses are coming from that perspective. There is tons of action in the IMSA races. Some of it is due to the differing lap times of the different classes, but overall all the cars seem to be pretty evenly matched. IMSA's safety car procedures where they wave around cars between the safety car and the class leader and bunch everyone up also ensures you will have close racing through the race and not a 3 lap victory for someone.

Many races come down to the last lap, or last couple of laps.

Ray Smith, Pis7a2020, Jakuzzi and 2 others like this.
  10. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Cool, I’ll watch that video this evening, I’m conferring with lawyers shortly about an issue, but it would be good to see some real racing!

Ray Smith likes this.
  11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    There were a couple of years there in the mid-naughties when the entry at Sebring was less
    than thirty cars.

Other than there not being many cars on the track to photograph, the racing action itself was
    still good with battles right down to the last lap for overall and class wins.

Drivers were happier with less traffic to negotiate and fewer yellow flags but there were times
    when the gaps between cars seemed really long.

On the other side of the coin, there were years at Sebring when it was in the original 5.2 mile
    configuration back around 1977 or 78 where 80+ cars took the green flag. The quality of these
    cars was seriously questionable at best and memorably there were so many cars entered that
    they figured out that they'd run out of gas in the paddock. So, they had to throw a caution in
    order for a tanker truck to come in and make a delivery.

It's all perspective.

BHW

Isobel, RWatters and Devilsolsi like this.
  12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

That is the thing to consider now, IMSA may have a smaller grid now, but almost every team that is there is top notch. Not many teams or drivers you can look at and say..."why are they here?"

Ray Smith likes this.
  13. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Questionable cars ? Considering the technology of that time, the amount of private non factory sponsored racers and the actual dedication to the sport....we had much better racing than today. If you do not bring boatloads of $$$$$$ today, then you are given the most difficult time. The sport as a whole is cooking its own goose. You want young people to enter the sport? You had better find a way to get them interested. I have seen a 21 year old yet with a trust fund that big. And that is the problem.

lorenzobandini and Isobel like this.
  14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    what a lap, that was awesome..... the Scot in the end just flew through, how he made his pass fourth to second was amazing in those conditions, everyone else spinning off. What was the guy doing on the final straight slowing for the line!

Isobel and Jakuzzi like this.
  15. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Edit: I don't recall if they ever really covered it. I wonder if it dealt with confusion regarding the start/finish line?

16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the McLaren driver hit the pit speed button instead of the radio button and cut power to the car.

17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    wow, big mistake! Remember, that happened in Brazil (I think) 2007 to Elton during the F1 race, also for McLaren

Jakuzzi likes this.
  18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  19. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Going for the 15 straight year! Amazing ambiance

Devilsolsi and daytona355 like this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I did go once upon a time, back in the late 90’s I think, but I don’t remember much about it except the Florida Hooters waitresses I went with were hot as....., and I spent the rest of the next month or so travelling around the coastline, loved it!

Jakuzzi likes this.
  21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    If you are up for it, I will meet you there.....

Jakuzzi likes this.
  22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    what date is it Tex? I’m in Vegas 29th March thru 5th April,

Jakuzzi likes this.
  23. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    January 24 to January 26. But it is better to go since Thursday 23, so you can see all the cars and teams in detail.

24. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This year will be my 4th.

Sadly I just changed jobs so I can't really take off. Coming in Friday night.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  25. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    damn, I can’t get away this month, first one after Xmas need to recoup the spending!

Jakuzzi likes this.