F430 Performance Upgrades? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 Performance Upgrades?

Discussion in '360/430' started by mainbinder, May 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Tampering with an NA with breathing mods and fuel also affects the torque curve in some instances adding headers to increase max hp. Most mods are doing exactly this adding peak power trying to retain as much under the curve. Is there room for precision flow data to refine it further? Possibly, but I would not do it to this car. As someone said in another thread more gains on the Scud were from cat delete than anything else coupled with power to weight ratio improvement. Consume more fuel, optimize timing, yields small gains at best and really unique to a specific motor. Flashing that tune to another setup yields different results and generally perform more poorly leaving owners disappointed. I'm from the tuner car scene where every car in my garage except the F430 has single or twin turbos of various size, all three modified. Ask yourself why UGR charges so much to add forced induction and cut right to your end goal or skip bolt on performance adders. Just my two lira.

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Also beware of speed shop dyno runs... many a shop have played w dyno settings to make the customer feel good ... things can be manipulated on a dyno sheet

quarter mile et is the truth teller but exotics don’t do quarter mile...

3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The 430 responds surprisingly well to a tune coupled with sports cats and headers. Headers alone make a difference for obvious reasons, but the tune and sports cats add the same again.

I've no complaints with my DMS tune.

f355spider likes this.
  4. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    try having your injectors mapped, the spray pattern varies a lot from one injector to another, buy 16 and have them mapped in a strobe chamber, pick the best 8, a gain of 15% is very doable.

PAUROSO likes this.
  5. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    A 15% gain is over 70hp...?

PAUROSO likes this.
  6. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    To be honest, I don't have any numbers other seat of the pants, you would be surprised at the variation in spray pattern

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Driving school?

8. driller1

driller1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 14, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1 have Capristo race exhaust also, love the sound !

9. KTMBROWN

KTMBROWN Rookie

Jun 11, 2017
    No cal
    I did Tubi headers only when my stock headers failed. There is a decent difference in sound and maybe a slight HP boost due to Tubi’s lack of pre-cat.

psych0hans and Tubi Sales like this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    which ecu did you go with? rennsport isnt the ecu brand right?

11. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Just go with headers, hi flow cats, exhaust and call it a day. Not sure about you guys, but I wouldn't want to be the one rebuilding an engine on a Ferrari. Especially when parts are scarce.

If you need a car to tune or modify, get a 911TT or something similar and enjoy the insane power that most won't even be able use on the street.

Red 27 likes this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    very sound advice for sure.

Red 27 likes this.
  13. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Just to add to what Vinny is saying. Tunes are meant to optimize your mods but they don't have as significant increase as turbo'd vehicles do.
    When it comes to the 430 the best mods are the simplest which are the manifolds, high-flow cats, and exhaust.

14. PAUROSO

PAUROSO Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roland H Shaak
    #39 PAUROSO, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    I have done this for every Porsche I owned with FI after 50k then send the old ones for cleaning, pattern verification and solenoid speed and current requirements

my 78 F430 F1 Spider is approaching 42k and is smooth and flawless idles and holds road speed with wonderful sound all smooth no drama BUT I AM HAVING THE 45k service done I’ll grab new injectors I’ll get matched ones (like guitar amp output tubes) and I’ll have the plugs changed. As soon as I determine wether I’ll have Ron Tonkin do it, Ferrari of Seattle or the folks at MAX RPM who say they can stamp the book and make her hum but it’s pretty damn fine as is

I live in Aggie territory therefore no smog stuff needed Capristo cat bypasses?

yep nice matched sweet spray pattern FI can spiff up performance

every-time I do the above I get smoother operation and yes more noticeable torque

speaking of... does anyone have a suggestion as to where I should take the F430 F1 in the PNW?
    And since these cars are tuned lean I am told, is there a suitable injector upgrade that fattens up the AFR using the stock ECUs tuning or do the ECUs back off injector “on time” or can you get across the board fattening it all up?

stay health all (my man Friday and I determined the little C19 buggers can’t hang on to an exercising Ferrari). thanks all Rollo

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Theres a thread on PNW section here on Indi mechanics around Seattle area.

Mark Glenwood former FoS lead technician opened up 7 Lakes Automotive in Arlington. He's been taking care of my F430 F1.

Joshua Orr of Veloce Motorsports had a shop in Lynnwood but I understand he moved his shop to a bigger location in Totem Lake area. He's another great Ferrari mechanic.

Just Google search for their phone numbers.

FoS always does a great job if you don't mind paying premium & you don't mind driving through crappy downtown Seattle area.

It's great to have options.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    By the way, to answer original question:

I have Agency Power headers wrapped with Capristo blankets, Kline Exhaust, Mase Engineering Tune.

Awesome upgrade, 1,000% happy.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flea7 likes this.
  17. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Best performance mod is tyres. Probably followed by driving school.

I wouldn't want to mess around with ECU. But as mentioned before headers and sport cats would drop some weight and allow engine to breath easier freeing up some hp. You could also look at racing seats and a lion battery to lose some further weight. Before investing too much also consider a 458.

You can also get faster cars for less, for me the F430 was always about driving emotion and enjoyment rather then outright speed

9650max likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    do you have before and after dyno you can share?

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how about you? do u have a dyno?