New Years Day: 1st speeding ticket | FerrariChat

New Years Day: 1st speeding ticket

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by efg2014, Jan 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    After 5+ years of ownership I got my first speeding ticket. I jumped on 280 N, heading towards San Mateo about 7am. It was still dark with very few cars. Due to commitments I hadn't driven the car in over a month and it felt really good to be sitting in it and hearing the engine purr. I stayed in the fast lane at a constant speed. As 92 neared I headed towards the exist. Then I noticed a highway patrol in the rear view mirror. I was already exiting 280 so it was easy to find a spot on 92 to stop. The patrol man was a young guy maybe 28. I was told I was doing 89 mph. It was a surprise to me as I wasn't aware I was going that fast. It could be I was not a 100% awake, or it was so peaceful that I didn't notice.

Now can you imagine me showing up in court and asking to the judge to reduce the fine? My friends chuckled when I told them I would do that. "Your honor, yes I own a Ferrari but am totally broke after purchasing Michelin P-Zero's on the car, would you reduce my fine? :)"

2. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    God, I hate that junction! I've gotten a ticket there once, southbound on 280 with the CHP hiding in the dirt in the blind section where 92 goes under 280 through the tunnel, I also tried to contest it with no luck but best of luck to you and happy new year!

3. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    Who is the CHP officer? I might be able to help you out.

I recently got my 3rd ticket, was able to get out of the first two, but the last one was a sheriff, and that was the toughest department to get out of.

SoftwareDrone and arizonaitalian like this.
  4. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    Sorry. Yeah there is often a CHP presence in the vicinity of the 92 interchange.

I've found the CHP through there aren't unreasonable though, they're looking for people obviously exceeding the flow of traffic. I once got pulled over doing 75 on the way back from a track day at Laguna Seca. Officer comes to my door of my obviously-modified 911 with the track numbers still on the windshield, helmet on my passenger seat.

Turned out to be for a burned-out taillight. Not a word about speed.

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  5. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I will look at the ticket when I get home from work and let you, know. Thank you.

6. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good luck! They don't play around here in Virginia with speeds over 80, it can get you a year in jail.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Get an attorney and use them. I did this last January and I should have retained attorneys all along. if no tickets in 3 years you should get it dismissed.

8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Agree. years ago I was disputing a "improper turn" ticket. The cop simply got it wrong. Got to court with no attorney thinking this was a no brain-er. Judge sided with the cop (who was lying by the way). That was the last time I ever went to traffic court without an attorney.

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It was likely the Michelin P-Zero's. Very fast, and quiet tire. Also quite rare and very expensive.;):D

efg2014 likes this.
  10. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    MEP (Maximum enforcement period), especially CHP for holidays. I got one on 280 S near Apple HQ. 280/680 is full of them though I am thankful for them lol. If you don't have a dash cam with speed recording, get one to help prove your case if indeed you were going slower.

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I got an attorney and went to court anyway... judge and cop just looked at me and said "You didn't have to come to court. You're good. Bye!"

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    What is a Michelin P-Zero? You mean Pirelli P-Zero or Michelin PSS or PS4S?

13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I blew by the police on 280 going about (I don't dare say how fast here). I hired the best traffic attorney in the Bay Area (he actually sits in as an alternate supreme court traffic judge and knows all the others on a first name basis), he got me out of it with a fine only. This was years and years ago. I'm pretty sure he is retired now. The point is, a good attorney is a good thing.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  14. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    if he's very good, his rate must be commensurate with his skill/reputation. Would his fees be lower than the cost of ticket? you also have to add your time value to the total cost.

the last time I had a speeding ticket was some 10 years ago. the cost was $125ish (don't remember the exact figure). if I took a morning off and hire an attorney, I might win or lose. Even if I won, my total cost would have been over $1,000.
    I paid the ticket.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  15. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    I'm curious... is your F-car... red?

My last ticket was in 1996 for 80 mph northbound on US101 at Hwy 198 (Monterey County). If the young CHP officer had radar-gunned my GTI sooner I would have been at 120 mph cuz I was in the middle of slowing down for that flat & open section parallel to the railroad tracks.

I gladly paid the $130 ticket.

16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I guess the bigger concern is ultimately not the fee but the points.. points on license can easily cost you more on your car insurance .. and if you get enough of them .. no license nor the ability to drive our beautiful cars ..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

KC360 FL likes this.
  17. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And this is exactly why I paid $1500.00 for him to get the judge to let me off with no points and a $500.00 fine. I still won't say how fast I was going, but here's what the cop wrote on the ticket: "Subject blew by me so fast that the wind pushed my car over". DOHH!! This was over 20 years ago and I've never pulled a stunt like that again.

DefunctNeurons and efg2014 like this.
  18. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

This thread is a good advertisement to get that Valentine ONE.
    Always wanted one of these ever since I read about them about 30+ years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

daytona355 likes this.
  19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I have a V1 that I bought about 3 or 4 years ago. I don't use it anymore. I think I paid about $430 or so back then. Would sell it to you for $150 if you are interested.

BT

20. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    #20 efg2014, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Taz,
    Good catch, my brain works on fuzzy logic. I should have said : Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Pirelli = ChemChina and as such I wouldn't put those tires on my car. A discussion for a different thread. :)

daytona355 likes this.
  21. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Guys thanks for the suggestions. At this point I have no points on my record nor do I have any tickets. The young patrolman, Langley, was a little confused after he couldn't find any tickets on me. He asked me "Have you had any tickets?, I can't find anything.". My response "I think about 5 years ago I had a ticket." I guess Langley was surprised.
    At this point I"m planning on pleading no-contest and then asking the judge to lower the fine. I'm guessing I should pay under $400.

22. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

280 is such an inviting highway to go fast, especially when you are the only one on it, I've been tempted many a times but also realize I'm sticking out like a sore thumb to any CHP sitting on the hills waiting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

efg2014 likes this.
  23. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Yes it is however I don't believe that played a role. The sun was barely coming up and it was dark. What I feel happened is :

1) I was going faster than a group of cars as I got near to the 92 exit.
    2) Because of the 4-5 cars and darkness I didn't see the highway patrol.

To reduce the chance of another ticket:

1) Try to stay at 65
    2) Go a little later as I can see better in the light and I'm actively looking for the highway patrol on 280.
    3) Get a radar installed.

24. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Get a traffic attorney. Tell him what you care about is more the points rather than the fine.

Speed enforcement is a revenue generation game. The reason all those insane GoldRush Rally guys still have licenses (oftentimes with clean records) despite getting pulled over several times a week going 100mph+ is because their speeding tickets get changed to parking tickets with larger fines.

daytona355, Thecadster and G. Pepper like this.
  25. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Were you cited for 89 mph, or did the officer write you up for a lower speed?

If you plead no-contest, you will have points charged to your DMV record, which may cause your insurer to raise your rates, and it is unlikely the judge will lower the fine.

If you have not had an infraction in the last 18 months, you may be eligible for traffic school, which can be taken online at your convenience. You would need to pay the fine and a traffic school fee, but the benefit would be that you avoid the points. The traffic school fees are probably less than an insurance rate increase. You don't need an attorney to request traffic school - you can call the clerk of the court at the number listed in the court notice once you get it in the mail in a few weeks.